XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

It's here! It's here! (happy dance) Now to go hook it up and see if it works :p

-----EDIT-------------

So the last time I had to send my system in, they sent me back a refurb.. it even said on the packing slip that it was refurbished and it was obviously a little dinged up. Well this time the paper says 'replacement' not refurbished... Not only that but at least the outside of the system looks brand spanking new with the peel off plastic and everything. And if you sniff the vents (yeah, I'm a sniffer of stuff) it has that silicony new computer parts smell... I think they sent me a brand new system! Is this normal now? Not only is it squeaky clean, but it's sooo quiet... compared to my previous one, it is practically silent. Well, I'm satisfied and hope you guys all have a similar experience. All in all it took exactly 6 days from mail out to return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I need some input. I bought my first Xbox back in 2006 and got the RROD in 2008. They sent me a replacement with a manufacturing date of 2008, which has just gotten the RROD today. However, when I go to the support site, it says that my "standard warranty" has expired. Now my question is, does the 3 year RROD warranty only apply to the Xbox you bought and not the replacement, or both? Should I go ahead and dispute this with customer service? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='mac101010']Guys I need some input. I bought my first Xbox back in 2006 and got the RROD in 2008. They sent me a replacement with a manufacturing date of 2008, which has just gotten the RROD today. However, when I go to the support site, it says that my "standard warranty" has expired. Now my question is, does the 3 year RROD warranty only apply to the Xbox you bought and not the replacement, or both? Should I go ahead and dispute this with customer service? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Between the time you got the replacement from MS and the time it Red Ringed, how many months passed by? I think they only give you like 3 months on the refurb/replacement :(

Anyone have a 360 sent to the repair center recently and know how long it took? Specifically I mean how long your system had the status of "repair in progress". Just trying to get an idea of how much longer it'll be. This is my first RROD and I have to say I'm really disappointed with how MS is handling something that is their fault and inconveniences the customer.

I just want to know how long it'll be until hopefully I won't have to deal with the process/waiting anymore :whistle2:/

[quote name='mikeja72']Anyone have a 360 sent to the repair center recently and know how long it took? Specifically I mean how long your system had the status of "repair in progress". Just trying to get an idea of how much longer it'll be. This is my first RROD and I have to say I'm really disappointed with how MS is handling something that is their fault and inconveniences the customer.

I just want to know how long it'll be until hopefully I won't have to deal with the process/waiting anymore :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I got the email for saying that repairs were done seven hours after I got one stating that my console had arrived. I am not sure how accurate the times are, but there you go. Either Microsoft repaired it quickly, or they are just sending me a new/refurb one. Mine should be back on Monday.

Recently my xbox 360 brightness has gone up. For example in SFIV, when you look at the pencil sketches with the white backgrounds in the art section of the game, you can barely see the sketches. I didn't change my monitor settings at all, it looks fine when the computer is the input.

I don't recall this being a symptom of RROD, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Between the time you got the replacement from MS and the time it Red Ringed, how many months passed by? I think they only give you like 3 months on the refurb/replacement :([/QUOTE]

That is just unreal. It's been 3 years and 2 months since I bought the first 360 :bomb:. I knew I should've waited for the PS3... Thanks for the input though.

[quote name='mac101010']Guys I need some input. I bought my first Xbox back in 2006 and got the RROD in 2008. They sent me a replacement with a manufacturing date of 2008, which has just gotten the RROD today. However, when I go to the support site, it says that my "standard warranty" has expired. Now my question is, does the 3 year RROD warranty only apply to the Xbox you bought and not the replacement, or both? Should I go ahead and dispute this with customer service? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think mine was still under warranty (it was a replacement too), because the website said "standard warranty expired", but as it turned out it was still under the 3 year extended warranty. On the repair website, you should be able to click to open a repair ticket, which is where you would pay if you weren't under that warranty. For me it said I owed $0.00. and then I checked out, and sent in my console.

I sent in my console for repair a week ago (Wednesday), and got my replacement on Tuesday. So it took less than a week to go both ways. It said 'repair in progress' for 2 days. Good luck!

[quote name='giantjerk']I sent in my console for repair a week ago (Wednesday), and got my replacement on Tuesday. So it took less than a week to go both ways. It said 'repair in progress' for 2 days. Good luck![/QUOTE]

That puts me at ease somewhat. Mine just E74'd yesterday and this is my first xbox hardware failure. I'm waiting for my label to come in the mail and I'm very anxious to get back to gaming. A week or two turnaround is very live-able, to me.

Are they giving any ms points or anything like that for your trouble? I know this is probably a dumb question.

Wow. Just got the RROD after 6 months without playing the damn thing... And I've been RROD free for about 3 and a half years now. Unbelievable. Not sure what I'm going to do now..

[quote name='chubbyninja1319'] "I'm waiting for my label to come in the mail"
Are they giving any ms points or anything like that for your trouble? I know this is probably a dumb question.[/QUOTE]

Wow, why are they mailing the label? I just printed mine from the website... did you not have that option?

They gave me a free month of Xbox Live Gold, and the brand new quieter console (which I'm thrilled about). Good luck man!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']
Are they giving any ms points or anything like that for your trouble? I know this is probably a dumb question.[/QUOTE]I received a free month of live as well, saving it for a good DotW sale =)

[quote name='giantjerk']Wow, why are they mailing the label? I just printed mine from the website... did you not have that option?

They gave me a free month of Xbox Live Gold, and the brand new quieter console (which I'm thrilled about). Good luck man![/QUOTE]

My friends and I were wondering the same thing...why the hell are the sending a postage label via snail mail? Makes no sense....before they'd send a coffin and email you the label. Now they're not mailing the coffin, but mailing the label.

Plus, I'm an impatient son of a b, so waiting for the label is killing me. But, no, emailing wasn't an option. I even asked about it.

Here's a copy/paste from my xbox.com repair status page:

Shipping Status of your Label

* Courier:UPS
* Tracking Number:We have not yet received your tracking number from the courier.
* Shipping Method:Label Ship
* Shipping To:MACOMB, MI 480421165
* Current Status:No tracking information available

Next Steps
E-Label

We will mail you a prepaid UPS shipping label that you can affix to your own box. Please print the xbox shipping instructions and refer to them when you pack your console.

[quote name='maigoyume']I received a free month of live as well, saving it for a good DotW sale =)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know about this, too. At least I can save my 12 month card for a little while, then.

So, the free month of Xbox live Gold card they sent me is invalid... not sure where to go from there. Just thought I'd add that.

[quote name='giantjerk']So, the free month of Xbox live Gold card they sent me is invalid... not sure where to go from there. Just thought I'd add that.[/QUOTE]You should call the CSR and complain, thats just bad form

Are you sure you just didn't enter it wrong?

[quote name='maigoyume']You should call the CSR and complain, thats just bad form

Are you sure you just didn't enter it wrong?[/QUOTE]

As it turns out it's because I had a credit card issue, that I fixed... now just waiting a day to try the card again.

So I just got the RROD. Restarted the console red ring still there. Then after restarting it the 2nd time it runs smoothly, no red to be seen. Am I safe? Or will it eventually come back?

[quote name='Littlefields']So I just got the RROD. Restarted the console red ring still there. Then after restarting it the 2nd time it runs smoothly, no red to be seen. Am I safe? Or will it eventually come back?[/QUOTE]

A buddy of mine had the same thing happen and his has now worked for over a year with no issues. I'd be pessimistic though.

Turnaround time for mine was a week and a half, I'll be at the beach when it arrives, so I won't be able to check it till Thursday..I'm really hoping its a shiny new one and not a refurb.

Listen to this crap....Annoyed that my postage label hadn't come in the mail today (I'm very impatient), I called M-soft. The lady..."Sally" (I don't think that was her real name), said "no problem, let me cancel the first repair order and issue a new one". Email came with instructions and let me print the label.

So that was 4 days wasted. At least I can get it out in the mail on Monday.

I still think I'm gonna get an arcade or an elite ($300 on 8/30) and sell the refurb. I have no patience and I'm not very hopeful that the refurb will last long. Although, I hear that most recent refurbs are getting Jaspers (xbox.com forums).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']
I still think I'm gonna get an arcade or an elite ($300 on 8/30) and sell the refurb. I have no patience and I'm not very hopeful that the refurb will last long. Although, I hear that most recent refurbs are getting Jaspers (xbox.com forums).[/QUOTE]

I got a brand new machine. I dunno how to tell what chipset it is though. It's waaaay quieter and cooler than my old one. I think Gamestop is giving $70 credit for a used 360 sans accessories. Might be worth selling and buying the elite to get the big ass hard drive. I'm still using my original 20 gig... bugh.

My 360 has a MFR Date of 2005-12-05 and when I look it up online it says I am no longer under the standard warranty and that it ended 2/9/2007 3:59:59 PM. So I take it that I am no longer under the rrod warranty also?

Nope, the extended warranties ran for three years. That's amazing though to have an almost launch unit last until now!

[quote name='Littlefields']So I just got the RROD. Restarted the console red ring still there. Then after restarting it the 2nd time it runs smoothly, no red to be seen. Am I safe? Or will it eventually come back?[/QUOTE]

It will come back. I don't mean to scare you, and like the person below you said, it can last for another year even, but it will come back.

My first console that I got in November? of 2006 would sometimes show me the three red rings. I would freak the fuck out, but when I restarted it, it would be fine.

I want to say this started happening like 4-6 months before it actually died and would always show the RROD.

Mine RRoDed back a month ago (a Falcon)....sooooooo we'll see :whistle2:/

Took out my entire home network with it-which is creepy, because it was probably spewing out random noise on the Ethernet port. Thankfully didn't seem to damage anything.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nope, the extended warranties ran for three years. That's amazing though to have an almost launch unit last until now![/QUOTE]

It has shown signs of it for a long time. About a year or so ago I tried to get them to fix it and they wanted nothing to do with me. Now I think I know why. I'm geting the exteneded warranty was almost up and also it had not rroded on me yet. Still hasn't but I have some games that I am unable to play. I'm going to keep using this one till it does rrod then I'm just going to do the towl trick but an elite transfer all my info over and then trade this one to gamestop for credit.

I have never traded with GS so do you get your credit when you trade a system in or do they send it off to get tested then you get it? Also can you get cash for it? I know some places when they give cash it is a lot less then what you would get in credit. Hell this damn thing might even last till the next gen systems come out.

[quote name='sendme']
I have never traded with GS so do you get your credit when you trade a system in or do they send it off to get tested then you get it? Also can you get cash for it? I know some places when they give cash it is a lot less then what you would get in credit. Hell this damn thing might even last till the next gen systems come out.[/QUOTE]

You'll get around $70 credit, or like $50 cash from gamestop... they do take down your info in case it turns out to be defective. I dunno if they follow through on that, but it seems like they would.

My 360 RRoD'd after about 2.5 years, and today a buddy told me his did the same. I now only personally know one person who hasn't had the RRoD - my brother, and I probably just jinxed him.

I get my console back sometime this week, and my fingers are crossed this doesn't happen to me again.

[quote name='lolwut?']It will come back. I don't mean to scare you, and like the person below you said, it can last for another year even, but it will come back.

My first console that I got in November? of 2006 would sometimes show me the three red rings. I would freak the fuck out, but when I restarted it, it would be fine.

I want to say this started happening like 4-6 months before it actually died and would always show the RROD.[/QUOTE]
I got it again today, restarted after a few minutes and it was fine. I'm starting to wonder if I should just send it off. Surely getting a new console (or a refurbished one) would be better than this one. My 3-year warranty is running out in a matter of months, so I'm some what worried. What would MS think when they turn it on and no red rings appear?

Quick question for the vets: Even though my replacement console is showing as shipped back to me, the serial number is the same as my old console. Does that mean that they actually shipped my old console back, or will I have to re-register the new console when it arrives?

I'd guess it's probably the same, but I *think* maybe I've heard that they can change the codes, so it might not really be.

I guess you can just try your Live Arcade stuff (if you have any) to see if it works offline, and if not, do the license transfer thingee.

EDIT: Looking at your Mario Mii up there has me thinking...I wish I could just use a pre-existing character as a Mii. Obi Wan, Lara Croft, whoever. I hate HATE making those damn things. I just picked one that looked vaguely like me and said to hell with it.

That's actually my Microsoft Avatar, but that's what you may have meant.

I'd be shocked if they actually repaired my original 360 and shipped that back to me, because they only had it for a day before the outgoing shipment went out. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Goddammit. I just fired up my Xbox to play a bit of Madden before Batman arrives later today and got the f'in E74 error. Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I knew it was coming for a few days because I would get graphical weirdness from time to time.

Going to return Batman to another store and get the PS3 version.

This is my 2nd death. First was an RROD on my Premium I got back in Sept 2007. This is an arcade I bought in July 2008 (Falcon) to replace that premium as I didnt want to wait for MS to ship my repair back.

[quote name='dcswirl']Just got RROD this morning :([/QUOTE]

To finish my story

Mailed out on the 13th-got it back yesterday (11 days-not bad) it's not as loud as before-played FIFA which normally was. Very pleased.

[quote name='dcswirl']To finish my story

Mailed out on the 13th-got it back yesterday (11 days-not bad) it's not as loud as before-played FIFA which normally was. Very pleased.[/QUOTE]

Once again....a good news story. If I may ask, did you confirm that you got a Jasper?

I shipped mine yesterday (it died last Wednesday) and I'm seriously going through withdrawals. The impending drop to $300 Elites is tempting me to do something I probably shouldn't do.

My 360 is out of warranty and has the RROD, I'm sure as fuck not buying another one since I expect it'll just error out down the line like the first. Might try the llama.com repair kit, has anyone else?

[quote name='zakk']My 360 is out of warranty and has the RROD, I'm sure as fuck not buying another one since I expect it'll just error out down the line like the first. Might try the llama.com repair kit, has anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Its out of the 3 year RROD warranty? Even if your status on the repair screen says "expired" thats just for the initial year warranty, try putting in a repair and see if it has a charge or not.

If it is, I can't vouch for a repair kit, but I've heard they work. Ive had two deaths and both were out of the initial warranty, but the 3 year covered them.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Its out of the 3 year RROD warranty? Even if your status on the repair screen says "expired" thats just for the initial year warranty, try putting in a repair and see if it has a charge or not.

If it is, I can't vouch for a repair kit, but I've heard they work. Ive had two deaths and both were out of the initial warranty, but the 3 year covered them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is out of the 3-year warranty, I argued with the customer support folks several times and even filed a BBB complaint about it.

[quote name='Littlefields']I got it again today, restarted after a few minutes and it was fine. I'm starting to wonder if I should just send it off. Surely getting a new console (or a refurbished one) would be better than this one. My 3-year warranty is running out in a matter of months, so I'm some what worried. What would MS think when they turn it on and no red rings appear?[/QUOTE]

Dude, it'll keep happening more and more. Just send it off before the warranty goes out and at least you'll have a working system. It takes 2 weeks tops to get it back, and it's worth having a working console vs. having one that's constantly locking up.

Also, apparently when I was having my rrod problems, there was a severe drop in the quality of graphics. I didn't notice it because I was used to it, but on my new console games that I was playing before just look cleaner. Apparently the GPU (which is what is causing rrod) going out causes a lot of graphical glitches...

my repair is done and it's on it's way back to me......not like I care! I bought an Elite from amazon (the fall '09 box) yesterday and it'll be here Monday. I'm going to sell the refurb to offset the cost of the Elite.

I just got my 360 back from repairs about 3 days ago. I sent it in right as my warranty expires because I was pissed. See, I sent it in in June t due to the e74 error. Instead replacing my system (keep in mind it was a near launch pro system with no HMDI ports or anything), the "fixed" it and send it back to me. I then had issues with my disc drive. It opened weird, scrachted games, and the entire system ran loud as hell. One day before my warranty expires I sent it in again. Of course they "fix" it again and send me the same system. Atleast the disc drive works better, but the system is still loud. My warranty expires in November. I can tell you this much, I kept my coffin. I will be sending it in again right before my warranty expires again.

Just got the RROD yesterday. Shipping it on Monday (damn weekends!). I experienced the following before it happened: increased loading time, a freeze in booting up the game, freezing in the middle of the game.

For those who haven't gotten the RROD, If you experienced any of the above, you may get the RROD soon (and might be a redneck!)

Which generation did you have?

Mine didn't finish booting yesterday once. It started as you'd expect, but hen the lights on my controller all stayed lit, but none on the system cam on-it was running, but never displayed the splash screen. Rebooted fine. Few months ago it RRoDed (and took out my network with it), but then rebooted fine when I cut the power. So....two problems with my Falcon so far. Still lasted longer than my Wiis have.

Well, mine E74'd and I never had any problems (except it refused to play tales of vesperia...would always freeze). Was working fine, then turned it on and E74 out of absolute nowhere. At least you guys had a heads up.

My 2nd Xbox died today. My first one had an 11/2005 manufacture date, died 8/2007. Couldn't wait for the refurb to arrive with Halo 3 coming out, so bought an Elite in 9/2007 with a manufacture date of 6/2007, died 8/2009.

Filled out the online application, getting a label shipped. Any suggestions for a good box to reuse to ship it?

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Goddammit. I just fired up my Xbox to play a bit of Madden before Batman arrives later today and got the f'in E74 error. Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I knew it was coming for a few days because I would get graphical weirdness from time to time.

Going to return Batman to another store and get the PS3 version.

This is my 2nd death. First was an RROD on my Premium I got back in Sept 2007. This is an arcade I bought in July 2008 (Falcon) to replace that premium as I didnt want to wait for MS to ship my repair back.[/QUOTE]

Due to arrive back to me on Friday, so just about 10 days total from the original death and back.

I just got a refurbished 360 back from Microsoft. It's dead! Won't even power on. Is this common? What should I do now? Send it back and hope the next one works?

Yeah, doesn't seem like anything else you can do :(

Oh well, at least you know now and can get it "fixed" again :whistle2:/

bread's done
Back