XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='Rhett']That almost sounds familiar, but I can't remember why. Are you sure your battery packs are connecting decently?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Battery packs, batteries, rechargeable batteries nothing stays connected. It's weird as it started slowly, like it'd do it once or twice a night and then totally just won't stay connected. I guess something died as like I said the same controllers will synch and stay connected on the other system.

The only difference between the 2 systems is main with the problem is wifi with wireless g adapter and 2nd is hardwired. Don't really think it's the wifi causing problem as it's been fine since I moved in March.

Well, I have a good one. I had a Red Ring, E79 error. I turned off the console and it mentions about a failed system update, but the Red Ring is no longer there. I cannot get it to leave the screen telling me about the system update having failed. I am in the Kinect Dashboard Beta and the console had been acting awful, wanting frequent system updates, which was occurring when the RROD struck. Anybody have suggestions? I tried the sync button trick, removed the hard drive, but to no avail. The console is very new, one of the FF13 bundle models. I read around and the issue was prevalent for others about two years ago, but happens infrequently anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm...

Sent my console last Monday, they got it Thursday, and it said 'Console Received' until today. Then it went from that, to 'Repair in Progress' to 'Repairs Complete' in the same day, but no email saying it was complete nor that it's being sent. Kinda weird.

Also, the instructions said to write my address on the box... I didn't, and it didn't say to include anything else in the box (basically box + packing material + 360 + shipping label). I assume they have my address since it's registered under my GT, though?

They don't really receive it when UPS "delivers" to because it now goes deep into Mexico after they receive it in McAllen. MS now even ships the console back to us from Mexico.

[quote name='spoo']They don't really receive it when UPS "delivers" to because it now goes deep into Mexico after they receive it in McAllen. MS now even ships the console back to us from Mexico.[/QUOTE]

Really? Bah.

The shipping label said 'Mesquite, TX', but that WOULD definitely prove why I just got an email that they received my console today.

As long as the console works fine when I get it back, I guess... not a fan of out-sourcing, though.

And edited out...

Tracking just updated earlier, took two days to arrive from Mexico to Mesquite TX... odd. Oh well. Gonna get it back next week. :/

Definitely hoping I don't have to repeat this when I get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night while playing The Orange Box, my 360 completely froze. I was pissed because I had to do this one part over and over again because the Strider wouldn't blow up a wall so I could advance. I kept fighting a wave of respawning Combine. This went on for like half an hour. It was like 3 AM, so I decided to go to bed.

A few minutes ago I turn my 360 on to finish up Half-Life 2, and all I see is one Red Ring, and a wall of text on my television screen. I got the E74 error. I turned my 360 on and off several times, but the E74 error still shows up. I'm using an HDMI cable, not an AV. I tried unplugging everything and blowing whatever dust out, but that didn't work. My 360 is the 20GB Pro version. I have no idea what the name of the thing is. I bought it in the summer of 2008.

I guess it's the perfect time to upgrade my 360 to a Slim. Once I get this 360 back, I'm throwing it on Craigslist and using the cash towards the new system.

I'm going to call Microsoft's Xbox Support number later today. I just hope I don't lose all my saves. Do I just pop out the hard drive and plug it into the new system and everything will be there? How does game license transferring work out if I'm sending in my system?

If you've had the E74 error and sent it off to Microsoft, how did it go? Any tips I should know before I call?

Sucky, eh?

I'm not ENTIRELY sure on how to transfer, but I believe you have to take your original (plastic-encased) HDD out of the plastic, to insert it into the 360 S. Or, maybe a transfer cable? Also, I don't think (don't quote me on this), but I don't think the new Slims have ports for memory cards. Not sure. They do have built in wireless though! :D

I just got my console back on the 26th (about 15 days of waiting, 99% of it was shipping time to and fro). I sent it in for E74, though the GPU pretty much died and didn't give E74. They took it, replaced everything inside (CD drive + mobo + GPU), and gave me my same console back. It's pretty fantastic, and quieter. I haven't checked to see what parts I got back, but I had a Zephyr before.

I didn't call. I just went online, logged in, and submitted a repair request for my already-registered console. You have the option of either them mailing you a shipping label, or you can print one out, and take it to a UPS store. Good luck finding a box... I used a 14x14x14 (from Walmart, $0.64) and cut it down to about half its size. You should get some bubble wrap, too, and completely wrap it up, and stuff the box with something like newspaper or peanuts. Of course, UPS will package it for a fee, too.

All you send is the console, with its original face plate. Nothing else. No controllers, cables, memory cards, or custom faceplates.

Well, my 360's officially died on me. Again. No error codes. Just three flashing red lights.

MS' reps on Twitter noticed my complaints there and tried guiding me to find the problem and it's definitely the RRoD. Considering I've had it sent in for repairs before, they told me I would have to pay for a repair since I'm no longer covered by the warranty apparently.

The hell kind of BS is that? I shouldn't have to pay for their inability to make a functioning console.

Looking for fixes online doesn't help, since I'd require tools I don't have or purchasing an online guide (that's just as bad as MS). :bomb:

Sigh. Playing some RDR today and it froze while loading. Turned it off and on again and I see the 3 red lights. At least it didn't do it while saving and corrupt my game. I'm at like 98% complete on the undead expansion.

Now the question is do I repair it under warranty or go get a 360 slim? Right now I have a Jasper (it's almost exactly a year old) and a 60GB HD. I've been wanting more HD space as I get more games but never wanted to pay for the 120 or 250GB HD since the release of the slim. I also have $60 or so in store credit for Gamestop when I traded in some tuff, which would at least give me a discount on a new slim.

But it's still cheaper to just get mine repaired.

Have to say I'm a but surprised. I never thought it'd die within a year but also I guess I have been using it a lot more than I originally thought I would.

P.S. I have a question. I have all my stuff saved on the HD, but since I bought an Arcade unit with internal memory, I set up my Xbox ID on the internal memory instead of the HD (because I purchased the HD after my xbox). If I can't get the console to boot again, will I lose whatever is on the internal memory? (mostly gamerpics and my xbox ID) I think I can get my ID back through the internet via the "recover gamertag" but what about those gamerpics?

Considering the hardware failure rate I think it's a bad idea to store anything on the internal memory as it is liable to be lost if your xbox dies...

Ruahrc

[quote name='Tsukento']Well, my 360's officially died on me. Again. No error codes. Just three flashing red lights.

MS' reps on Twitter noticed my complaints there and tried guiding me to find the problem and it's definitely the RRoD. Considering I've had it sent in for repairs before, they told me I would have to pay for a repair since I'm no longer covered by the warranty apparently.

The hell kind of BS is that? I shouldn't have to pay for their inability to make a functioning console.

Looking for fixes online doesn't help, since I'd require tools I don't have or purchasing an online guide (that's just as bad as MS). :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Should be free guides here:http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Xbox_360
gl

my 360 just died that i bought in october of 2007

anyway i could get them to make an acception and fix it for free

seems a little to coincidental that it dies the month after the 3 yr warranty

I'm utterly baffled by how this worked...

Simply lightly smacking the bottom side of the 360 (where it lays on horizontally)...somehow made the RRoD vanish. It's not popped up again since doing it. Before I had to constantly turn my console off and on until it would decide to start up properly, resulting in the same process after turning the console off when I was finished with it.

Now it just boots up like normal. The hell? :whistle2:s

[youtube]B34C9vVAvxs[/youtube]
Not my video, but this was exactly what I did.

Well, ever since I d/l the newest dashboard update I am now receiving the RROD. No error codes, just games or dashboard freezing. I have to power it off and try to restart. Until last night I had not been getting the RROD. Now it will not turn on.

This is my second system to RROD. MS fixed the first one free but this one is out of warranty since 2008. I think the update bricked it. Out on the net there are a lot of older 360's reported being bricked after the update.

Elite just RRODed on me. Quite aggravating. This is, by my count, the 4th console to do this to me. The 3 previous were 20GB models. I went out and bought an Elite 3 years ago and here I am again.

Interestingly, I also only started noticing hard freezes and after the update. Black Ops would completely lock up and when watching video, the screen would flicker on and off. Gonna have to call MS Support and see what they can do with this. This is completely unacceptable.

[quote name='metsfan1545d']after bitching out india for an hour i finally got them to fix my console for free even though the warranty expired last month[/QUOTE]

oh great, because of you they will declare war on the US shortly :bomb:

So I just got my 360 back from being fixed due to RROD. I'm a little confused about this license transfer thing they have instructions for...

All of my DLC, saves, etc. were all on my hard drive which I have had with me the whole time.

Looking at the serial numbers, it appears that the console I got back was the same one as the console I sent in (the serial numbers match, and the front faceplate seems to be the same one as it still has the plastic cover over the IR port which I never bothered to remove).

Unfortunately I had my gamertag saved on the internal memory, but I just used the recover gamertag function to get it back.

I tried to test the licensing issues by moving my gamertag onto an external USB drive, and disconnecting it. I then created a new profile, and launched some content (XBLA game, and also RDR Undead DLC). It gave no warnings about being in demo mode or having license restrictions. So then am I correct in thinking that since the 360 I got back was actually mine, there should be no problem with just plugging my HDD back into the unit and going on my way? I shouldn't need to go back and re-download all the marketplace items I have downloaded in the past over again (a LOT of items, it would take forever!).

Just a little confused as to when one would need to re-download everything, and how one would know they needed to do that... the instructions they provide are not really clear.

Ruahrc

Just joining the Elite club here...

My Elite (Falcon) was fine for about 3 years. Early last month I accepted the new dashboard update. It seemed a little sluggish afterwards, like it was taking longer to display the dashboard after power on or exiting a game. Then it started freezing on boot, during dashboard navigation or playing a DVD; wasn't even playing any games in the end that could stress it. Finally, 3 red lights.

Bummed because I worked hard to find a unit with BenQ drive and Nidec fans. They're going to give me a POS refurb, aren't they?

I have a SLIM failure to report:

250GB Slim Kinect bundle, about 3 weeks old. Started freezing up, could not get more than 20 minutes of it being on(gaming or not) before it would completely freeze up, did this about 8 times in a row before I gave up and shipped it to MS for repair.

By freeze I mean: the screen would freeze frame, no sound, no reponse to anything but turning it off. The power brick was still green, as was the 360 light. there was no other sign anything was wrong besides it froze. I went through all the troubleshooting crap, checked cables, cleared cache, unplugged for a while, blah blah blah. This is #5 or 6 failbox for me

[quote name='6er']I have a SLIM failure to report:
[/QUOTE]
did it come with the latest dashboard, or did it have to be updated and if so, when did that happen?

[quote name='gantt']did it come with the latest dashboard, or did it have to be updated and if so, when did that happen?[/QUOTE]

it's was a new kinect bundle
, it had the new dashboard theme when first booted. It downloaded something during initial set up, maybe something kinect related or kinect game update, but as I said in post, I had no issues until 3 weeks old.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']UGHH !! My elite just passed away with RRoD :cry:

It isnt the new slim model but its still not over 1 1/2 years old . I hate Microsoft[/QUOTE]

At least it's still under warranty for RROD, right?

[quote name='gantt']At least it's still under warranty for RROD, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it said it was under warranty till Feb. 2013 for RRoD which is cool :D

[quote name='6er']I have a SLIM failure to report:[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Not sure people should get too worked up over it (not saying anyone is), since this is the first CAG report. There will always be a failure rate for electronics and you may have just been extremely unlucky. There might be a bigger problem, but at this point who knows???

SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?

[quote name='6er']SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?[/QUOTE]

1. Cheap labor
2. No OSHA
3. No EPA

Comprende?

that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.

[quote name='6er']that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.[/QUOTE]

How do you know the facilities are for the same thing?
One is receiving.
One is shipping, and may be refurbing as well.
Also, how do you know they are "a few hundred miles apart"? Where in Mexico does it say it's coming from?

I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.

[quote name='6er']I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.[/QUOTE]

Ha. You got me there. I ASSuMEd Mesquite was a border town. Texas geography fail.

As for someone who knows for a fact, I'm sure the Xbox refurb supply chain manager is a CAG regular and will be along shortly.

Why do you care? If I get a working 360 in good cosmetic shape that lasts as long as my original, I could care less if it's shipped from BFE.

To quote the great philosopher Jerry Seinfield: Never assume, it leads to assumptions

EVERY one of my replacements has failed. One 1 lasted longer than a original, and that was probably only because I hardly played it for almost a year. When I startd playing regularly again.....fail

interesting, they don't require signature anymore? Not exactly complaining, that's caused me headaches before. My town is serviced by a ups facility over a few counties and 30 min away. Even though there is a facility in the neighboring town.o_O

k, here is the post you all have been waiting for!

I got I back. Same console ID number, but the replaced the original product info sticker, that is above all the ports on the rear, with a new one that also lists a service date (at the top). It is NOT covering the old sticker, and to add to that:

they must have put a new body on. This thing looks brand new, and yes, while the one I sent in was only weeks old, it had scuff from setting the controller on top when not in use( on the flat glossy top, never over a vent of course, and only when off). I didn't know it was scuffed it until I shipped it(fyi to all those to have a glossy one), but this one is perfect. Plus my controller turned it on. Oddly I had to do kinect setup again

[quote name='6er']This thing looks brand new... this one is perfect.[/QUOTE]

But it shipped from MEXICO! It must smell of tortillas or something...

Ha, you were so concerned.

One thought I had (because you clearly love speculation) is that the slim refurb pipeline isn't full yet, so they're shipping units from a facility in Mexico that also makes new units.

Anyway, hope it works out for you. And I hope I get as lucky in the repair lottery.

Just had a 4gb slim fail on me. First it took forever connecting to anything on xbox live then on restart it would get a black error screen and a red light on the console. I bought it at Target on Black Friday so I figure they'll let me exchange it for a new one, right, since it's been less than 30 days?

[quote name='bmoney1023']Just had a 4gb slim fail on me. First it took forever connecting to anything on xbox live then on restart it would get a black error screen and a red light on the console. I bought it at Target on Black Friday so I figure they'll let me exchange it for a new one, right, since it's been less than 30 days?[/QUOTE]Yes. And since you bought it on BF, it'll be within their extended return period which goes into January. You're covered either way.

Though, if you bought any Xbox DLC content, you'll need to do the License Transfer on it to transfer the DRM licenses to the new console when you get it swapped out. If you didn't buy any DLC, it's a non-issue.

[quote name='shrike4242']Yes. And since you bought it on BF, it'll be within their extended return period which goes into January. You're covered either way.

Though, if you bought any Xbox DLC content, you'll need to do the License Transfer on it to transfer the DRM licenses to the new console when you get it swapped out. If you didn't buy any DLC, it's a non-issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This is frustrating since my old one RRODed 3 times and I figured the new slims would be able to last a lot longer than 1 month. I don't even really play it for more than 2 hrs at a time either.

I just had my second console failure. I was nice on the phone at first but as the CSR kept telling me that I would have to pay, I slowly got louder and angrier on the phone. Finally after half an hour I'm getting an out of warranty repair done for free.

Had they not done the free repair I was either going to buy a new console and use a data transfer cable or sell all my 360 stuff and play only my PS3. Now I don't have to worry about the decision. It really does suck that they think you should PAY them $100 for a refurbished console that's going to break so you can pay them $100 so they can send you a refurbished console that's going to break so you can...
So without the free repair, I was likely going to buy a new one but I was starting to get pretty damn mad.

So a quick question:
There's a big XBL sale next week that I've been looking forward to. If I buy stuff on sale then transfer my license over to the new consoles, will I be able to play games that I've never downloaded before on the new console offline? I did the license transfer with my first refurb but I didn't buy stuff through the computer in the middle of the repair.

So my 5th Xbox 360 just died on me the other day :bomb:. Another RROD! My 5th RROD...... Its a miracle, but it lasted 3 years and 2 months! Much better then my other 4:

First one: lasted 2 weeks. Second one: lasted 4 months. Third one: lasted 2 months. Fourth one: lasted 1 year. 5th one: lasted for 3 years and 2 months! Record time!

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on me again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products!

[quote name='PirateChaun']So my 5th Xbox 360 just died on me the other day :bomb:. Another RROD! My 5th RROD...... Its a miracle, but it lasted 3 years and 2 months! Much better then my other 4:

First one: lasted 2 weeks. Second one: lasted 4 months. Third one: lasted 2 months. Fourth one: lasted 1 year. 5th one: lasted for 3 years and 2 months! Record time!

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on my again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products![/QUOTE]

do PS3's fail at such a rate as the Xbox 360? I think I need to stop throwing money at a console that breaks so consistently

[quote name='PirateChaun']So my 5th Xbox 360 just died on me the other day :bomb:. Another RROD! My 5th RROD...... Its a miracle, but it lasted 3 years and 2 months! Much better then my other 4:

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on me again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products![/QUOTE]

Given your location, I'd take your RROD over to the Xbox campus tonight and make a nice little tombstone out of it - listing all your consoles and how long they lasted - for the Microsofties to see on their way in. Not that they care, but it would be fun.

So I've got a question for you guys, I was playing a game today and my 250 GB Slim automatically shut down with no warning or anything. I didn't notice a red ring and still don't but the system won't turn on anymore and the ring on my controller keeps flashing green over and over. What does this mean? I'm new to the 360 scene and I'm wondering if my console just tanked.

EDIT: Nevermind, as it turns out my wife just accidently unplugged it. I feel like an idiot but I am relieved!

[quote name='6er']I have a SLIM failure to report:

250GB Slim Kinect bundle, about 3 weeks old. Started freezing up, could not get more than 20 minutes of it being on(gaming or not) before it would completely freeze up, did this about 8 times in a row before I gave up and shipped it to MS for repair.

By freeze I mean: the screen would freeze frame, no sound, no reponse to anything but turning it off. The power brick was still green, as was the 360 light. there was no other sign anything was wrong besides it froze. I went through all the troubleshooting crap, checked cables, cleared cache, unplugged for a while, blah blah blah. This is #5 or 6 failbox for me[/QUOTE]

ack.... mind posting a pic of your Red Dot of death slim so I can honor you the proper way?

Having just semi-randomly bought an S, I'm going to be pissed if it ends up being less reliable than Jasper :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back