Xbox 360 REFURB w/ Extras $139.99

I would rather get an arcade from amazon right now. Since you can use a USB drive now. I don't trust refurbs, let alone a refurbed 360.

[quote name='tightclaws']that's dumb you can buy a new arcade for 159 with 1 year warr. foolish to go for this.[/QUOTE]

How do you figure this is foolish? I mean yeah $159 is great if you have money to buy a separate hard drive and headset, but that alone will put you well over the $200...

[quote name='Jcole432']How do you figure this is foolish? I mean yeah $159 is great if you have money to buy a separate hard drive and headset, but that alone will put you well over the $200...[/QUOTE]

It's a refurb. 360 refurbs have an extremely high failure rate.. it's not worth wasting money on which is why he suggested buying a new one.

[quote name='Jcole432']How do you figure this is foolish? I mean yeah $159 is great if you have money to buy a separate hard drive and headset, but that alone will put you well over the $200...[/QUOTE]

It's foolish because these are likely old refurbished models that no one but ignorant consumers want. They likely include outdated overheating motherboards that are prone to melting.

...So yeah, go ahead, save the $20 and get that wonderful 20gig hard-drive. When your 360 dies a week after the warranty runs out, the hard-drive will make a nice paperweight and for the door leading to your room, that'll be held open by your 360-doorstop.

Personally, spend the extra money, get a better 360 and 3 years of guaranteed warranty goodness. But it is your money.

EDIT* Did I mention that Amazon offers free shipping? Your total would come to like $165 if Amazon charged you tax. Comparing that to your $155 total, $10 =/= a 20gig hard-drive ($20) + wired headset (aha) - 3 years of M$oft warranty (priceless?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thehoweller']It's foolish because these are likely old refurbished models that no one but ignorant consumers want. They likely include outdated overheating motherboards that are prone to melting.

...So yeah, go ahead, save the $20 and get that wonderful 20gig hard-drive. When your 360 dies a week after the warranty runs out, the hard-drive will make a nice paperweight for the door leading to your room that's being held open by your 360-doorstop.

Personally, spend the extra money, get a better 360 and 3 years of guaranteed warranty goodness. But it is your money.

EDIT* Did I mention that Amazon offers free shipping? Your total would come to like $165 if Amazon charged you tax. Comparing that to your $155 total, $10 =/= a 20gig hard-drive ($20) + wired headset (aha) - 3 years of M$oft warranty (priceless?)[/QUOTE]

well im convinced

Yeah, if this was like $100 then it might be worth the risk/hassle of failure...they don't mention if they have HDMI, which means they probably don't, which means these are fairly early 360's.

With arcades at $160, there really isn't any reason to buying refurbs at this price...you can get a brand new arcade ($160) plus a refurbed 20 gig drive, wired headset and 3 months of live ($48) from amazon. Yeah, it is a bit more cash, but what you save in cash you are likely to end up paying in general hassles/short life of the refurb.

[quote name='killer9']Dont care what anyone says never ever buy a refurbed 360 there fragile enough new[/QUOTE]

Pfft, that's what you say!

I LOVE my new refurbished 360 I was sent from M$! It's great! What other console can refuse to read so many games while making my playing experience so miserable, not the PS3...Aha! But yeah...Hop on this DEAL, it's a steal! For $155 you could have an experience much like my own...YES!

Not in the market for a 360... (Already have one) but I would never consider buying a used one.

Buying a used 360 is just a variant of Russian roulette.

Most of the failure scenarios are going to be RROD which microsoft repairs for free anyway, in which most cases they will send you a different refurbished model to replace the one you sent anyways. I mean yeah buying new always gives a lower failure rate, I won't argue that, but I would rather drop $160 on a refurb with accessories that I can play at ease knowing if I get the RROD i'll just send it in for free.

[quote name='Jcole432']Most of the failure scenarios are going to be RROD which microsoft repairs for free anyway, in which most cases they will send you a different refurbished model to replace the one you sent anyways. I mean yeah buying new always gives a lower failure rate, I won't argue that, but I would rather drop $160 on a refurb with accessories that I can play at ease knowing if I get the RROD i'll just send it in for free.[/QUOTE]I see no mention anywhere in that deal of it having MS 3 year warranty and since you have to pay 20 bucks for a 10 year warranty I doubt it really has it.

Aka I'm betting that someone outside of MS refurbished this.

Exactly, probably some schmuck in a basement who did a reflow. Jcole, you should know better. When the general consensus on cheapassgamer.com is to spend more on a brand new one instead of this refurbed shit, that tells you something. Stay away from this like it has herpes.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Exactly, probably some schmuck in a basement who did a reflow. Jcole, you should know better. When the general consensus on cheapassgamer.com is to spend more on a brand new one instead of this refurbed shit, that tells you something. Stay away from this like it has herpes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not here to argue, I'm here to get a good deal...plain and simple.

Jcole, a month later when this refurb dies. You'll have to send it away AT YOUR EXPENSE over and over again. That isn't a good deal. You're not looking at it from all angles here.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Jcole, a month later when this refurb dies. You'll have to send it away AT YOUR EXPENSE over and over again. That isn't a good deal. You're not looking at it from all angles here.[/QUOTE]
We warned him. Just leave it at that.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']We warned him. Just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some people just can't be reasoned with. Those same people tend to think $30 credit for a PS2 + 25 games is good. But whatever, enjoy your bricked 360, at least it will look stylish in your room.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']When the general consensus on cheapassgamer.com is to spend more on a brand new one instead of this refurbed shit, that tells you something. [/QUOTE]

Exactly! People here will buy used condoms if it saved them enough money.

You know all the shitty fucked up about to die 360s that people trade into gamestop? These are that type. Stay away.

the headsets are cheap as hell too.

[quote name='thehoweller']Pfft, that's what you say!

I LOVE my new refurbished 360 I was sent from M$! It's great! What other console can refuse to read so many games while making my playing experience so miserable, not the PS3...Aha! But yeah...Hop on this DEAL, it's a steal! For $155 you could have an experience much like my own...YES![/QUOTE]

:baby:

[quote name='SelmaBlair']:baby:[/QUOTE]
You caught me :D

I just have little respect for M$ after this generation's console. Complete piece of shit, even for its lesser price. I hope the new one I'll be getting through Amazon will run like a dream. The fact that people are ignoring this fact and buying refurbished gamble consoles for near the same price is laughable.

The console's already a gamble, and these penny pinchers are willing to take another gamble, just to save themselves $15. It's very CAGish, but stupidly so.

[quote name='confoosious']Exactly! People here will buy used condoms if it saved them enough money.[/QUOTE]

I just tend to think of it as extra lube...Even though it's on the wrong side...

[quote name='Jcole432']Most of the failure scenarios are going to be RROD which microsoft repairs for free anyway, in which most cases they will send you a different refurbished model to replace the one you sent anyways. I mean yeah buying new always gives a lower failure rate, I won't argue that, but I would rather drop $160 on a refurb with accessories that I can play at ease knowing if I get the RROD i'll just send it in for free.[/QUOTE]

It says the item supported by the seller (geeks.com) not by MS (the product number is identical to several other web retailers selling the same thing including ecost.com), so you aren't getting the 3 year RROD coverage with this item. The MS 3 year warranty is only on new units...even MS certified refurbs only have 1 year general warranties and no 3 year RROD). These could quite easily be busted units that MS sold to 3rd parties for repair precisely because MS doesn't think they are reliable enough to send out as replacement units or they are too costly to repair properly (or probably both). I'm sure that some folks have had great experiences with refurbed units built from 2005 to June 2007, just like some folks have had bad experiences with brand new hardware, but once you factor in the warranty (or lack there of) and the age of the hardware, it is alot less of a deal. So with this hardware, you can only count on coverage for 90 days and it is pretty certain you'll be paying for shipping it back if something goes wrong.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Jcole, a month later when this refurb dies. You'll have to send it away AT YOUR EXPENSE over and over again. That isn't a good deal. You're not looking at it from all angles here.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm looking at this with budget in mind since I already own an XBOX 360 and it would be stupid for me to buy another one brand new. I simply posted the thread for people looking for a cheaper console, not a brand spankin' new console. I just love how when some people hear the word "REFURBISHED" they all of a sudden think that the item is crap and isn't worth a buy. BTW, I would rather buy a refurb one from geeks than go to GS and drop 10 dollars more for one that was traded in because of hardware failure, but thats just me...

Regardless of who the refurbished model is sold by, the fact remains that the board melted and has either...

A. Been reheated/X-Clamped and is ready to die again.

B. Been swapped out for a different motherboard before the Jasper was released

C. Been swapped out for a different motherboard post Jasper

Since the console's being sold with an older than shit hard drive...you're likely stuck with either option A or B. How either option will save you money in the long-run I don't know...It strikes me funny that you're talking about saving money, yet you're advocating gambling with your money in the same paragraph.

This console at most will last you a year with moderate play.

[quote name='Jcole432']Actually, I'm looking at this with budget in mind since I already own an XBOX 360 and it would be stupid for me to buy another one brand new. [/QUOTE]

Haha...aha

I have 1 core system from launch in my living room, 1 brand new arcade in my bedroom, and a pro refurb from gamestop in my office. The refurb had over a year warranty when I registered it on microsoft's website and its still going strong. My launch core system has RROD'ed 4 times on me and even though it is years past warranty, microsoft STILL fixes it for free. When you go to microsoft's website and file a repair, the service fee drops to $0.00 when you select "three flashing lights" or "e74" failure, even if its out of warranty. So unless MS has caught on to this flaw on their website, you can get it fixed.

As for this "deal"... everyone is right, I would cancel your order and get a new arcade from amazon, ESPECIALLY now that you can use USB memory. Another note, if this is NOT a microsoft refurb, and someone else repaired it, you are shit out of luck if it breaks.

If anyone is wondering why I have 3 xboxes: Thanks to cheapassgamer.com, blockbuster B1G1, and gamestop power trades, I hardly paid anything for xboxes #2 + #3. Having netflix streaming on all of my TVs rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a buddy who is gonna bite on it, so I guess I'll have to repost an update on the status of his hardware in a year :whistle2:#

[quote name='tightclaws']that's dumb you can buy a new arcade for 159 with 1 year warr. foolish to go for this.[/QUOTE]

seconded, i love the 360, but you want the newest machines, a refurb is not guaranteed to fail, but why take the chance.

[quote name='Jcole432']I've got a buddy who is gonna bite on it, so I guess I'll have to repost an update on the status of his hardware in a year :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Buddies don't let buddies buy refurbed =(

[quote name='Jcole432']I've got a buddy who is gonna bite on it, so I guess I'll have to repost an update on the status of his hardware in a year :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Go right ahead, but with this refurb+shipping you're already paying close to the price of an arcade on amazon. If I'm buying a 360 then a piece of crap spunk covered controller(which comes with the arcade might I add, except you get brand new :D), a grungy headset and a 20GB HDD isn't going to sway me to buy a refurb.

I've got this great piece of land in Florida that you might be interested in...

And when you next stop in Kmart, try a Sears Credit Card, amazing interest rates and you can get your items for a small percentage of the cost each month!

Wow...Just imagine the SAVINGS!

I bought a refurbished pro xbox 360 off amazon and it's been going strong for several months now and the 3 year RROD warranty gives me peace of mind. Not all refurbs are crap. However, this website looks fishy and I wouldn't trust a non-microsoft certified refurb

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Go right ahead, but with this refurb+shipping you're already paying close to the price of an arcade on amazon. If I'm buying a 360 then a piece of crap spunk covered controller(which comes with the arcade might I add, except you get brand new :D), a grungy headset and a 20GB HDD isn't going to sway me to buy a refurb.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the warranty, which is another 20 bucks, so a amazon arcade is actually cheaper. (Granted, its got a little less storage space but there are plenty of cheap options to tackle that problem.)

[quote name='ieatpoptarts'] However, this website looks fishy and I wouldn't trust a non-microsoft certified refurb[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more... Anyone else notice they don't sale games just refurb 360s..? (Outside of their refurb bundles)

[quote name='ieatpoptarts']I bought a refurbished pro xbox 360 off amazon and it's been going strong for several months now and the 3 year RROD warranty gives me peace of mind. Not all refurbs are crap. However, this website looks fishy and I wouldn't trust a non-microsoft certified refurb[/QUOTE]

The site is legit, I've purchased parts for my PCs from them on numerous occasions with no problems.

So $155 for a refurb without HDMI, $20 on top for a warranty. $175.

Or 159 for a new console with HDMI, no accessories. One year regular warranty, three year RROD warranty. Get a better quality headset, and buy a HDD off someone who upgraded their own. Or use any USB sticks under 16GB, which people tend to have lying around everywhere. I wonder which is actually more cost effective. Save more in the long run.

HMM. Tough choice.

Sorry, Jcole, I have a major problem with the phrase "amazing deal" in a refurb 360 thread. When it wasn't that hard to get Arcades for $100 a few months back, this isn't even on the radar of "amazing".

And my original 360 has been in the shop 3 times. At least the last 2 times they haven't charged me to repair the overheating POS, but they just keep replacing it with old tech.

[quote name='turls']Sorry, Jcole, I have a major problem with the phrase "amazing deal" in a refurb 360 thread. When it wasn't that hard to get Arcades for $100 a few months back, this isn't even on the radar of "amazing".

And my original 360 has been in the shop 3 times. At least the last 2 times they haven't charged me to repair the overheating POS, but they just keep replacing it with old tech.[/QUOTE]

Buy a second 360 from Amazon, then continually cover your old one with a towel and overheat it. Just keep sending it in to M$oft until they fold and send you a new 360. Those pricks.

[quote name='thehoweller']Buy a second 360 from Amazon, then continually cover your old one with a towel and overheat it. Just keep sending it in to M$oft until they fold and send you a new 360. Those pricks.[/QUOTE]

I wish. I don't think they will ever cave on sending me a newer one, I've already moved on with the deals I've been able to get anyway. I've got 2 other 360's and the "original" one I got back from them is sitting in a box and I will probably just hook it up to be a media extender.

They really have balls to at one time say (I had a rep actually repeat this to me) that they didn't have higher failure rates than typical consumer electronics. Although I got a dud Wii too, and in fact that replacement is a little flaky as well.

bread's done
Back