Xbox 360 Ring of Death Fix Guide

geehal

CAGiversary!
EDIT: In case you live under a rock, MS is giving you a 3 year warranty. So don't fix your 360 yourself, keep sending it in to MS and eventually you'll get one that stays fixed. Guide still up just for reference.

So I found this guide a month ago to fix my buddy's system. It hasn't blown up so I'll post it here.

http://copronymous.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fix-for-the-3rlod.pdf

It's not that hard to do, on a par with building your own PC. Not expensive either, here's a cheapass breakdown:

Screws + washers: $5 at Osh

Arctic silver: $3 on the internet
Could use cheap thermal paste like MS but might as well go quality. I had some leftover after building a PC.

Precision torx set: $6 at Home Depot
Also $6 at Fry's for a security set. These are better because you can mod your wireless controller D-pad too. You might have a t-10 driver so you can just get the t-8 at Sears for $3.

Rubbing alcohol: couple of bucks at your local grocery or drug store
I used alcohol pads from a first-aid kit, seemed to work better.

While you're in there you might want to try the quiet mod:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2066860,00.asp

I haven't done it yet, but when my warranty craps out in July I'll probably give it a shot too.

Edit: results from xbox-scene poll

RESULTS SO FAR
  1. Fixed the 3RLOD, No issues at all now, No freezes, works fine - 244
  2. Fixed the 3RLOD, still video freezes occasionally. 1
  3. Mixed results, sometimes works with no 3LOD - 1
  4. Didn't fix the 3LOD. - 12

I will be trying this as a last resort. Maybe I'll get the parts today...'tis a Sunday. I'll come back to this topic once I've done the mod and let ya'll know how it went.

Thanks for the headsup OP, I've seen similar guides on xb-scene before but none were as definitive. That seems to be my main problem with X-S, there's lots of information but you need a really good crap filter to get the good stuff.

I used RBJtech's method to repair a red ring 360 I purchased from Ebay. The method does require a bit more work than the one above, but I thought it was the better solution myself. It's been working for almost two weeks now with no issues, thus I got a premium system for $185 + a few hours of work!

[quote name='brainmunch']Thanks for the headsup OP, I've seen similar guides on xb-scene before but none were as definitive. That seems to be my main problem with X-S, there's lots of information but you need a really good crap filter to get the good stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a bigger problem with the internet in general too. I'm really surprised that the mainstream blogs haven't picked this up. Seems much more useful than the other mods they post. I sent in the info to joystiq, let's see what they do with it.

[quote name='Deadpool']I just removed the power cord from the :360: and re inserted it and everything's fine now...[/quote]

Same here.

The fix has been around for a while. The problem with the fix is that sooner or later you will get problems again. Good as a temporary fix, but not something that will last in the long run/

[quote name='geehal']Yeah, that's a bigger problem with the internet in general too. I'm really surprised that the mainstream blogs haven't picked this up. Seems much more useful than the other mods they post. I sent in the info to joystiq, let's see what they do with it.[/quote]

This was dugg pretty high up on Digg a few months ago so it was "mainstream" at some point.

bread's done
Back