Xbox 360 to PS3 Convert: Day 1

MaskedPlague

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I finally was able to buy my 60 GB PS3 to replace my bricked 360. I loved the 360's games, but the consoles are unreliable. That is not the intention of this post. Here are my impressions of making the leap to the PS3 because I know some other people may be considering it.

SET-UP:

The PS3 was easy to hook up because I already had an HDMI cable ready for the console to TV connection. Gone from my entertainment center is the large power brick that used to lurk in the dark corners of the shelf. It's a minor annoyance, but I am glad it is gone.

I updated my PS3's firmware and signed up for my PSN account within 20 minutes. That was really easy.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

1. The menu system on the PS3 is not as intuitive as the 360, but it seems pretty easy to navigate.

2. The Playstation Store didn't have much in it, but it was easy to find the games and demos I was looking for.

3. The PS3 is really quiet. Nice.

4. The controller USB cord is comically short. I have a USB extender, but would a couple of more feet have killed Sony?

THE GAMES:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma- Wow, I had played Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox, but I decided to get this game anyway. The graphical improvements are stunning. The difficulty is frustrating at times, but finishing the challenge is very rewarding. This was a great game to start.

The Darkness- I love this game too. I am a comic book geek but not a fan of the Darkness.This game may change that. The Darkness powers are fun to utilize in figuring out puzzles and destroying enemies. I cannot wait to dive in a few more levels.

God of War II- I thought I would throw a PS2 game in since I only owned a PS2 a short time before I got my 360. I completed the first God of War, which was one of my favorite games of the last gen. GoW2 so far is just as fun to play as the first. I know it's easy to heap praise on this game, but I really had a hard time putting this down.

DEMOS:

After 3 great games, I should have stopped. The Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Demo was okay, but I don't think I will even be renting the game. The addition of Gundam to this franchise really didn't add much to the button smashing repetiveness present in almost every installment of this franchise.

Ridge Racer 7 was almost unplayable. I love arcade racers, but this demo was a huge letdown. If the cars in Dirt are floaty, then the cars in RR7 are like balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

That's the first day with my PS3. I am really happy with my decision. I cannot wait to try some other PS3 games and some of the more recent PS2 games. This should be a fun weekend.

Load up some cash into your PSN wallet and download Super Stardust HD. Probably the best downloadable arcade game ever, IMO as both a 360 and PS3 owner.

4. The controller USB cord is comically short. I have a USB extender, but would a couple of more feet have killed Sony?

Do you play games with it plugged in?

In any case, enjoy your new shiny, worry-free system!

bread's done
Back