Xbox 360 to PS3, why should I convert?

One bad thing about PSN that isn't being mentioned is that servers for games will get shut down. The MGS3 servers barely lasted a couple months but I can still go in and play Crimson Skies or the other original Xbox Live games from five years ago and play with friends. That's where the value comes in. Yeah, PSN is free but how long will your favorite game be supported?

[quote name='depascal22']One bad thing about PSN that isn't being mentioned is that servers for games will get shut down. The MGS3 servers barely lasted a couple months but I can still go in and play Crimson Skies or the other original Xbox Live games from five years ago and play with friends. That's where the value comes in. Yeah, PSN is free but how long will your favorite game be supported?[/QUOTE]Actually, every game is still online on PS3. EA actually shut down various Xbox and PS2 games online from last generation. The difference is with PS2 online, EVERYTHING was publisher/developer specific with no centralized network. And while some developers are still using their own servers, it's still a more centralized network which will keep games online for longer. I don't expect the same issue with PSN that happened with PS2 online (they are a bit different).

On PS2 servers would be shut down. On PS3 it will probably not happen (it hasn't happened yet). The only thing that occurs is maintenance.

Do you think that PSN will continue to keep all the servers up for free? Eventually, Motorstor, Resistance, and the others will become ghost towns. Now, if everyone is paying, you can keep those servers up for the handful of people that play them. What financial incentive would they have on PSN?

All I'm saying is that every XBL game from the original Xbox (except for certain EA games) are still online. Also, EA didn't shut down all the original Xbox games. You can still play Burnout 3 on XBL. They just shut down the old sports games that no one plays at all. You can't say the same thing for PSN. The servers were maintained until they were no longer financially viable and there's no indication that this generation will be different.

[quote name='depascal22']Do you think that PSN will continue to keep all the servers up for free? Eventually, Motorstor, Resistance, and the others will become ghost towns. Now, if everyone is paying, you can keep those servers up for the handful of people that play them. What financial incentive would they have on PSN?

All I'm saying is that every XBL game from the original Xbox (except for certain EA games) are still online. Also, EA didn't shut down all the original Xbox games. You can still play Burnout 3 on XBL. They just shut down the old sports games that no one plays at all. You can't say the same thing for PSN. The servers were maintained until they were no longer financially viable and there's no indication that this generation will be different.[/quote]

That's where you're wrong. A huge majority of 360 and Xbox titles are only still online because Live is a Peer to Peer network for the most part. It's good for never having the game ever be truly offline, but it sucks because most gamers will never have as good a connection as the Companies T3 lines. Though some PS3 games use both dedicated and p2p connections which is the best of both worlds.

So the debate is whether you want a great connection for a shorter time (or forever, it remains to be seen) or you can get a decent connection for a much longer time.

I'm just going by what games are still playable from the last generation. I'd love to be proven wrong. I hope that Resistance and Motorstorm are playable long after the sequels come out but do you think those servers will stay up for more than a year or two?

Actually the connection can range from OMG IT"S A FRAME SHOW! To OMG It's pretty good. The p2p does have its limits as most people's bandwidth is usually only 1 mbps or 2 mbps if they're REALLY lucky. Which is nothing compared to the T3 upload speeds which are always constant, never fluctuating and have far better ping. I'd take a combination of both rather then pure p2p or pure dedicated servers though.

And who really knows? I heard the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory servers were still up for the PS2 so who really knows how long they'll stay up. Sony just recently closed off some servers for games from 2002 so it's a fair bet to say they'll keep these up for a few more years longer at the minimum.

[quote name='depascal22']So the debate is whether you want a great connection for a shorter time (or forever, it remains to be seen) or you can get a decent connection for a much longer time.

I'm just going by what games are still playable from the last generation. I'd love to be proven wrong. I hope that Resistance and Motorstorm are playable long after the sequels come out but do you think those servers will stay up for more than a year or two?[/QUOTE]There are many games on PSN which are also P2P. Sony has actually been really good at keeping games going online for a while. The original SOCOM which came out a very long time ago is still online.

But why would people care about playing the first MotorStorm online anyway when many sequels are out which end up being way better? In the future they'll all be dirt cheap anyway. Still, I don't expect servers to be down any time soon.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But why would people care about playing the first MotorStorm online anyway when many sequels are out which end up being way better? In the future they'll all be dirt cheap anyway. Still, I don't expect servers to be down any time soon.[/quote]

For the same reason that I play Crimson Skies instead of Blazing Angels. For the same reason some people prefer Burnout Revenge over Paradise. Not every sequel is well received by the community. Just ask Smash Bros. fans. I just know that I can still play all of my original Xbox games (except for old EA sports titles) on Live. That's not true for some key PS2 games like Metal Gear Solid 3. Again, I'm not saying that XBL is miles better but there are positives for each and you don't have to be a fanboy to like XBL.

Before we compare the PS3 package to any 360 package... how does the PS3 stand by itself... I mean for what the PS3 is Solely, .... is THAT a good deal?
You may not like the games, or like tne PS3 online network, or care about blu ray, but these are some of the services in which you're getting, and that must be considered when assessing ift he PS3 us a better deal than the 360. Especially, when you're converting from one system to the other, you have to feel lthat the deal you're getting is a good one. After reading everyone's comments, no one's really regretted their purchase, (for those who actually USED the system).

Yeah when I first bought my PS3 I got it as a deal for $300 because I bought an HDTV at the same time. I thought I was only going to use it once in a while and my 360 would remain my main gaming console. But it turned out to be the complete opposite. MGO is incredibly addicting. And I also put a ton of HD pron on my HDD. haha. Not a really a game but...fun nonetheless.

[quote name='depascal22']For the same reason that I play Crimson Skies instead of Blazing Angels. For the same reason some people prefer Burnout Revenge over Paradise. Not every sequel is well received by the community. Just ask Smash Bros. fans. I just know that I can still play all of my original Xbox games (except for old EA sports titles) on Live. That's not true for some key PS2 games like Metal Gear Solid 3. Again, I'm not saying that XBL is miles better but there are positives for each and you don't have to be a fanboy to like XBL.[/quote]

As someone who has enjoyed the live experience I can tell you that the most used word on Xbox live is $$$$er. I also like it when they kept calling me WETBACK and how they told me to go back over the border. What I also enjoy is how they keep telling people who are women SHOW US YOUR BEWBS. Though I know that's not represenative of everyone on life, they are a significant amount and they do tend to ruin the live experience. I know that I can mute them, but do I really have to mute some stupid 15 year old blasting linkin park? The fact that most people on PSN are quiet and don't swear every other word puts it head and shoulders above live. Sure I'll grant you that the matchmaking isn' as good, and Live is easier to use, but I'd trade that ease for peace in a heartbeat.

Eh stay out of the kids games and you won't get kids. I play TF2 a lot and it's mostly pretty good people.

Gears and Halo, and Call of Duty attract the idiots because they're the most popular.

Maybe if PSN had that kind of popularity it'd have jerks too.

[quote name='jer7583']Eh stay out of the kids games and you won't get kids. I play TF2 a lot and it's mostly pretty good people.

Gears and Halo, and Call of Duty attract the idiots because they're the most popular.

Maybe if PSN had that kind of popularity it'd have jerks too.[/quote]

I think PSN just attracts older/mature people due to the ridiculous price at launch being so high that only people with jobs could afford it. So, the 16 year olds were out of luck.
I think people still view it as the more expensive system despite all it offers and the fact that it's cheaper than a 360 after you get all the 360 accessories needed that are sold separately.

Having both I would say the PS3 is technically the better system, its quieter, does more, and even looks better. However I play the 360 more but that's just because I had it first and have more games for; most of the games I have are available on either system. PS3 has the wireless internet built in too which is extremely convenient if you have a wireless router. I have a 1080p HDTV but no Blu-Rays yet, though I'm sure they look great.

One word of caution, used 360's aren't selling for much since the price drop. I got about $240 for mine around the time of the drop, a 20 GB w/ no HDMI, so you will probably still have to come up with at least $150 to get the PS3. By the way I only sold it because I bought an Elite off ebay, so I wasn't giving up on the 360 either.

[quote name='Paco']As someone who has enjoyed the live experience I can tell you that the most used word on Xbox live is $$$$er. I also like it when they kept calling me WETBACK and how they told me to go back over the border. What I also enjoy is how they keep telling people who are women SHOW US YOUR BEWBS. Though I know that's not represenative of everyone on life, they are a significant amount and they do tend to ruin the live experience. I know that I can mute them, but do I really have to mute some stupid 15 year old blasting linkin park? The fact that most people on PSN are quiet and don't swear every other word puts it head and shoulders above live. Sure I'll grant you that the matchmaking isn' as good, and Live is easier to use, but I'd trade that ease for peace in a heartbeat.[/quote]

Those are all very valid points. You will run into those idiots alot but you can also play with friends and CAGs and avoid all those idiots completely. There are plenty of us that have any game you wish to play so you will never have to hear the racist 14 year olds if you don't want.

bread's done
Back