Xbox 360 vs. PS3 what are you looking foward to?

[quote name='red flare graf']I can understand a slight power increase needed for AI improvement, but being a programming major, I know that graphics take 10-15x more processing power than any code, if not more.[/QUOTE]

You know incorrectly then. "Any code" can, in fact, take hundreds of times more processing power than graphics, no matter how complicated the graphics may be. For example, what do you think would take more time: rendering the lit, textured polygons for a next generation game, or using brute-force methods to find the key for a public key encrypted file?

Artificial intelligence algorithms can require massive amounts of processing power to be run quickly. This is where the revolution will occur next generation because, finally, consoles will have the power to run very sophisticated AI algorithms fast.

[quote name='alongx']You know incorrectly then. "Any code" can, in fact, take hundreds of times more processing power than graphics, no matter how complicated the graphics may be. For example, what do you think would take more time: rendering the lit, textured polygons for a next generation game, or using brute-force methods to find the key for a public key encrypted file?

Artificial intelligence algorithms can require massive amounts of processing power to be run quickly. This is where the revolution will occur next generation because, finally, consoles will have the power to run very sophisticated AI algorithms fast.[/QUOTE]

I suppose if you take "any code" literally, but I'm pretty sure that we won't see AI that sophisticated for another 5-7 years (my rough estimate). I know that the current generation consoles have enough power to handle much more powerful AI than what we're seeing, so I don't see how this power from the new consoles will factor much more into that. You're right. I know that code "can" require more processing power than graphics, but I suppose I was thinking more in the light of "will it?".

From what I've seen so far from both consoles (seeing as we haven't seen anything from Nintendo >=l) the PS3 has me giddy. The interactive enviroment stuff with the eye toy (the glasses with the water in the bath tub) just blew me away. The 2 hd outputs sounds awesome too. And who didn't enjoy the Killzone video? :)

As far as Xbox 360, everything was just seems rushed, something to get that head start on Sony. It's turning out to be a sleek looking updated Xbox with entertainment features (which you could do right now with a current gen Xbox by modding it and making it a universal entertainment center). I'll say that GR3 impressed me, and I am waiting for PGR3, but everything else just isn't make me as excited as Sony is.

Xbox seems to be focusing alot on their Live service. Sure I like to hop on Live and have some damn good fun, but they just seem to be focusing way too much on online gaming. I'll take God of War, RE4, GTA, KOTOR over ANY online game.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about the 360 (what the fuck happened to Xenon?!). We shall see come this fall.

PS3, although I won't be purchasing it at launch it will definately be my system of choice. The ps1 and ps2 have not disappointed me and I doubt 3 will either!

Microsoft isn't really thrilling me with their wares, and from what I've read about PS3, I'm really not all that excited about that one either. My vote went to PS3, only because there really isn't much information on the games, making it a bit more mysterious and giving me hope for the games.

Months have passed and im still leaning towards xbox 360... prob cause im not a fan of RE, MGS GTA or jak2 or R&C or killzone (I was... until i played it).

its gonna come down to gameplay, but it seems like ps3 has the graphics won already so im gonna go with that

Yeah, I know it's been mentioned, but I still like the fact that people don't acknowledge Nintendo as being a top-tier console in this or next generation. That's just great. Since the X-box 360 is right around the corner and I still know barely anything about it and the other two systems have had little said or shown about them, I'm not really too excited. The backwards compatability of the Revolution is about all I'm excited about right now.

[quote name='Megamibeast']PS3 now! MGS4 just changed my mind! Holy shit that game is beautiful!!![/QUOTE]

That's lovely that it changed your mind but just think PS3 is at least a year away because of the cost of technology that it will use.

bread's done
Back