Xbox 360 warranty + EBgames

lobitoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I was ondering if it was a good investment?
since I wanted to get an xbox now and until the new chipset arrives can I apply the warranty replacement plan?

I'm sure you could, but they would exchange it for a premium 360. The new chips will probably be in the elite.

And my biggest pet peeve with EB is that their warranty doesn't start after the manufacturer's, it overrides it. At GameCrazy, when you get a 360 and a one year warranty, it gives you microsoft's warranty for the first year then the GC warranty for a year, thus making it a 2 year warranty. With EB, theirs runs simultaneously with the manufacturer's warranty. Useless.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm sure you could, but they would exchange it for a premium 360. The new chips will probably be in the elite.

And my biggest pet peeve with EB is that their warranty doesn't start after the manufacturer's, it overrides it. At GameCrazy, when you get a 360 and a one year warranty, it gives you microsoft's warranty for the first year then the GC warranty for a year, thus making it a 2 year warranty. With EB, theirs runs simultaneously with the manufacturer's warranty. Useless.[/QUOTE]
Guess that's another reason to shop at GC. So, is it pretty much essential to get the extended warrenty for the 360?

[quote name='erehwon']Guess that's another reason to shop at GC. So, is it pretty much essential to get the extended warrenty for the 360?[/quote]

It's strongly suggested but not essential. I've had customers get the 360 and have no problems whatsoever, i've had some get it and have to replace it 6 times.

Another thing that's good with the GC warranty (this may be YMMV but it's like this at the TN stores).. let's say your 360 craps out in the first year and you bought a one year warranty with us. This is covered under Microsoft (the first year). Bring the 360 back to the store (after you exchange it with MS), and if you get a completely new system (new serial number and all), and since your GC warranty has yet to kick in, tell them the situation and get the warranty transferred over to your new system, free of charge.

I just grabbed a 360 from gamestop with a bunch of credit I had accumulated, and I opted for no warranty. The big downside of it is that as soon as you exchange your xbox, the new console is not covered with whatever time was left on your old one. So lets say you extend your warranty with them for the second year, and then a month later it craps out. 13 months means you are out of microsofts domain, and you have to exchange it at GS, and then pay another $50 on it. So you could be out $150 in less than two years, when $60 has it covered for 3 years with microsoft.

If the new chipsets are really important to you, I think it makes more sense financially to wait than to try and exchange it through an EB warranty.

Why not call MS and get the 3 year service contract? If you call them it's like $35 and you get a full 2 years after the first year warrenty right from the manufacturer.

[quote name='macdude22']Why not call MS and get the 3 year service contract? If you call them it's like $35 and you get a full 2 years after the first year warrenty right from the manufacturer.[/quote]
It's cheaper but it's taken about 2 weeks to get your system back both times i've sent mine in... A guy I work with has a EB warranty and when his system died he got a new one that day. Later when that replacement system died he got another one the same day but they made him buy a new warranty. :roll:

[quote name='$hady']It's cheaper but it's taken about 2 weeks to get your system back both times i've sent mine in... A guy I work with has a EB warranty and when his system died he got a new one that day. Later when that replacement system died he got another one the same day but they made him buy a new warranty. :roll:[/quote]

Which is why i'm going to whore out GameCrazy yet again. First year under MS, warranty transfers at no cost.. if you buy it used with a warranty, you get 90 days then the 12 month warranty.. should it die within 90 days, you get the warranty on the new one for free (as long as you bought it on the first one). GC has so much better customer service than EB..

Wow thanks for all the reply.... NOw my urges for an xbox has been lowered. Is it comfirmed that the new chip commin on october? for the elite?

I'd definitely get an extended warranty on the 360. It's quite possibly the most unreliable system I've ever had. I've had three incidents with the system and in all three instances it was under MS's regular 1 year warranty. But that warranty is gone now and I worry everyday that it might be the last day for my 360.

As for the new chips, doesn't the current Elite use the same old chip? If so, then I too am wondering when the new chip will arrive.

But since the warranty at the store hasn't gone into effect yet, he wouldn't be able to exchange it for a console with the new chips until after the first year, correct?

I'm planning on picking up a 360 Elite whenever they become more available, but I'd probably like to switch it out in Fall when the revisions are supposed to be made.

What all the hype about the new chip? Is it the new buzzword for this month? Like SKU was for March/April?

Don't shake your 360 while you're playing it. Don't wrap it in a blanket. Don't drop it onto your little brother and it'll be fine.

Mine is a launch 360 and has never, ever had a problem whatsoever.

[quote name='Halo05']What all the hype about the new chip? Is it the new buzzword for this month? Like SKU was for March/April?

Don't shake your 360 while you're playing it. Don't wrap it in a blanket. Don't drop it onto your little brother and it'll be fine.

Mine is a launch 360 and has never, ever had a problem whatsoever.[/quote]

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9714474-1.html

[quote name='Halo05']What all the hype about the new chip? Is it the new buzzword for this month? Like SKU was for March/April?

Mine is a launch 360 and has never, ever had a problem whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because your 360 is obviously representative of every single 360 out there and therefore, the only way a 360 could break is due to user misuse.

bread's done
Back