Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel (official MSFT) @ Amazon -- $29.99 + FSSS

eLefAdEr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Didn't see it posted here yet. $30 new and qualifies for Free Super Saver Shipping. I think it was a little cheaper at one point (Newegg?) but sold out before I could get one.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Speed-Wheel/dp/B0050SY0L2/ref=cm_rdp_product_img

41Qnr53bIRL.jpg

I'm on the fence since I don't have Forza 4 yet but plan to own it eventually. Reviews seem mostly positive. I suggest checking the following review/discussion to see if certain games are compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R5G61Q...50SY0L2&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

No bumper buttons so that might not be good enough for racing purists, but the 1-to-1 control sounds pretty solid and buttons can be re-mapped for a slim majority of compatible games.

credit to redskull @ slickdeals

edit: changed thread title

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the settings I use in Forza Motorsport 4, and I enjoy the wheel at this level. By lowering the amount of deadzone, it feels more twitchy and instantaneous so now it feels spot-on accurate, feeling every nuanced movement I make. I haven't had the wheel long so I'm still tweaking them. If anyone has settings they feel are better for this wheel, please let me know!:

steering axis deadzone inside: 0
steering axis deadzone outside: 40
acceleration axis deadzone inside: 0
acceleration axis deadzone outside: 40
deceleration axis deadzone inside: 0
deceleration axis deadzone outside: 40
clutch axis deadzone inside: 0
clutch axis deadzone outside: 40
handbrake axis deadzone inside: 0
handbrake axis deadzone outside: 40
vibration scale: 100

The default Turn10 settings (which I don't like):
steering axis deadzone inside: 1
steering axis deadzone outside: 95
acceleration axis deadzone inside: 15
acceleration axis deadzone outside: 100
deceleration axis deadzone inside: 15
deceleration axis deadzone outside: 95
clutch axis deadzone inside: 15
clutch axis deadzone outside: 90
handbrake axis deadzone inside: 0
handbrake axis deadzone outside: 100
vibration scale: 100

The negatives have been discussed in other reviews so I'll give my take on them. There are no bumper buttons (no LB and no RB). This is a major omission which doesn't affect gameplay in Forza Motorsport 4 (though it makes it harder to go through some menu settings) but it does affect how many games the controller can be used for. For example, this would be a perfect controller for a game like Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (an arcade flight game) but that game heavily uses the bumpers so the game developer would have to develop a game that didn't need bumpers in order to use this wheel.

The other negative is that there is no headset jack in the wireless wheel. This means if you want to talk to your friends while playing with the wheel, you either need a wireless headset or you need a Kinect.

And the force feedback needs to be boosted. It's pretty weak. You do feel the vibration but if you're used to the strong feedback of other game controllers, you'll complain about this wheel.

The last negative is the potential for the triggers not being recognized. There have been times in FM4 where I was pulling the trigger and it wasn't accelerating. So I'd have to let off the trigger and then pull again. I believe this is a wireless disconnect. Kind of like how your wireless headset sometimes loses connection briefly. Or maybe I have bad triggers on my wheel.

Otherwise, I've been loving the wheel! It makes driving a lot more immersive. You don't have to have a huge rig in your family room, living room, etc. No need to clamp a wheel to a table or desk. No wires. When you're done playing, you just stick the compact wheel into a drawer. If you hate having big bulky expensive peripherals, this is the controller for you. And it's at a great price so you can buy multiple wheels and race with friends.

Note that the wheel has acclerometers for all directions which means POTENTIALLY (and who knows if it will be fulfilled), this wheel can be used for flight sims.

Wow, thanks for posting your findings, dirtyvu. I'll be sure to use them when I finally get F4. F3 will do for now and is supposed to be fully compatible.

And for your review as well. It's pretty much a summary of all the reviews I've read; it has some definite flaws but the overall 'feel' of using this instead of a standard controller for racers makes it much more enjoyable.

I am in for 1.

Seriously, dirtyvu - nice info. On the other end of the spectrum, I can say that I pretty much just started using mine out of the box when it came out and it's been a lot of fun to use. So, you don't need to be totally devoted to the details to enjoy it, either.

I was hoping this was the old one with the pedals. I have a PlaySeat and a Driving Force GT that works beautifully with Gran Turismo 5, F1 Championship, Midnight Club and Dirt series, but it unfortunately doesn't work on 360.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I was hoping this was the old one with the pedals.[/QUOTE]

That's because the OP mislabeled the thread. The Wireless Racing Wheel is the old one with pedals - and a wheel attached to a steering column, not something you hold in mid-air.

This is the Wireless Speed Wheel.

[quote name='gantt']That's because the OP mislabeled the thread. The Wireless Racing Wheel is the old one with pedals - and a wheel attached to a steering column, not something you hold in mid-air.

This is the Wireless Speed Wheel.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. My bad. Now to figure out how to change the thread title... done.

there's one more point I have to make.

It took me awhile to figure out how I wanted to hold the wheel since it is free in the air. I bet a bunch of you will take awhile to figure out what works for you. Whether it's hold your arms straight and locking the elbows. Or having your arm vertical while your forearm horizontal at 90 degrees. With your elbows by your sides or out a bit. Having your elbows sit on a desk. Or sit on your lap. There's a lot to experiment with to get comfortable. I think I spent a good half hour or so just figuring out how to use it.

It's not as easy as gripping at 10 and 2 and hanging your arms off a regular wheel.

bread's done
Back