Xbox 360 without HD

FaintDeftone

CAGiversary!
Is it as horrible as some people are talking about? I have no HDTV and I have no desire to spend all that money on a TV when I don't really need one. I preordered the 360 and I'm excited to get it.

I was told that playing on a normal TV would more or less be like playing a PC game on 640x480, which isn't a big deal to me. I'm just expecting things to look a bit jaggier and a bit of blur but nothing more.

So for you experts on this topic here. Will the 360 look like trash on a normal TV or will it still look pretty nice (but just not as nice as HD)?

Just a bit concerned about it. Thanks.

It really depends what you're used to. HDTV veterans would tell you that its worth it, but if you're OK with how games look now on regular TVs, you'll be fine with the 360 on regular tvs.

Of course first thing you'll have to do is spent $40 on a memory card for saves, which puts you 40% of the way to the premium bundle already, and the core bundle doesnt come with a wireless controller or a headset (though it does come with a wired controller).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']It really depends what you're used to. HDTV veterans would tell you that its worth it, but if you're OK with how games look now on regular TVs, you'll be fine with the 360 on regular tvs.

Of course first thing you'll have to do is spent $40 on a memory card for saves, which puts you 40% of the way to the premium bundle already, and the core bundle doesnt come with a wireless controller or a headset (though it does come with a wired controller).[/QUOTE]
Uh, the core bundle can play games in HD too, you just need to buy HD cables and the regular bundle can play standard definition...I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

The 360 games will look great on a standard TV, but I think the big leap from this generation to the next in terms of graphics comes in resolution. The "jump" for me will be playing games in high-def, rather than noticing the amount of polygons on screen or the amount of texture detail.

Alright, that's good to hear. Thanks guys. Yes I do have the core bundle preordered but it isn't like I had a choice, it was the only ones they had spots left for. It's no big deal to me though, I can always buy the hard drive seperate. It's gonna suck paying 99 bucks for it but eh at least I'll have the console in my hands.

Game Developers are making their games with all sorts of sets in mind. I remember when halo 2 was in development, they showed a room bungie had setup with every type of TV imaginable, from the old school Black and White TVs with screw-in antenna RF connections, to your standard 20' tube with RCA connections, all the way up to giant Plasma HDTVs and also on projectors.

They design games to be playable on all sorts of displays. I wouldn't worry about being left behind without HDTV, i don't have one.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']It won't look like trash at all, in fact it's still going to look great. It's just that it will look better on an HDTV.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I'm just expecting things to look a bit jaggier and a bit of blur but nothing more. [/QUOTE]

I'm no tech expert or anything, but isn't the 360 built with anti-ailising (sp?) technology to eliminate the jaggies, regardless of HD?

Yea if you don't have a TV without HD don't worry about it. The 360 will not look worse just becuase you don't have a HDTV. Not if you played it on a HDTV for 3 days straight then went back to your regular TV you you def. notice the picture quality but other then that you'll be ok.

From the Bungie Weekly Update:

[quote name='Bungie']There’s not much point developing HD compatible games without using HDTVs to see what they look like, but we also are well aware that a lot of 360 users will be using regular TVs, and believe us when we say that our next game will look sweet on 480i TVs too. MS is testing ALL of its games on every conceivable display technology to make sure everything looks good on every possible setup.[/quote]I assume other developers share a similar philosophy.

bread's done
Back