Xbox 360

Riyonuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I've made up my mind, I wish to purchase an Xbox. I really don't want the elite because it's black, and I hate black consoles.

I'm unsure of wether to buy an arcade or premium, as I'm not sure of the differences, and I also read that the arcade doesn't have full backwords playback with original xbox games.

And of course, I don't want to buy at MSRP.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I've made up my mind, I wish to purchase an Xbox. I really don't want the elite because it's black, and I hate black consoles.

I'm unsure of wether to buy an arcade or premium, as I'm not sure of the differences, and I also read that the arcade doesn't have full backwords playback with original xbox games.

And of course, I don't want to buy at MSRP.[/QUOTE]

The only reason the Arcade Version doesn't have Full Backwards playback is because it lacks the Harddrive. There have been HDD clearanced out at some stores. This is a really good deal though:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162550

Good Luck OP.

EDIT: Deal is Dead :(

Just make sure you're getting a newer model 360, hopefully one with HDMI (read the small print), as places aren't advertising them now as "WITH HDMI!!".

Even if you don't have an HDMI port on your TV, it's a sign that 1) you have a semi-newish 360, and 2) you may have such a TV one day.

Don't get an Arcade model, unless you can get a dirt cheap 20 gig HD. Personally I wish I had gotten an Elite for the 120 gig HD: I d/l a lot. All those add-ons, movies, etc...shit takes up space yo. I keep my drive clean, around 6 gigs free most of the time.

Arcade model has no HD, right?

No Xbox has full backwards compatability, just check the xbox forums for the list: If you're game isn't listed, or the "folder" icon next to your xbox original game is dull grey, then it's not supported. There's also a master list. Surprising that some of the best games aren't supported- like Castlevania.

Keep in mind that the 360 is a delicate, fragile machine. It's prone to overheating and crapping out. Prepare to keep it well ventilated. Don't buy one of those Intercoolers, they seem to burn up peoples 360s, heh.

Hope that helps

If you're shopping online you'll make sure to get a system with HDMI if you buy an Arcade. I still recommend getting a HDD, but since you can find HDDs for under $50 it's not a bad deal. The Premiums come with Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2, but if you don't care for either of those games (I wouldn't recommend either) than I'd go with the Arcade, you'll save $20 (after buying the HDD) and you'll get a memory card in-case you ever need it.

Plus if you can find a good deal on a 120GB HDD then you'd definitely want an Arcade system so you don't have another useless HDD laying around.

Well, nowadays, all Xbox 360's have the HDMI port. But what is really hunted for is what is known as the "Falcon Chipset." Basically, it is a smaller processor (65nm compared to 90nm) that produces less heat and doesn't use as much power. It is also said to be moore reliable and sturdy that previous versions as far as a less chance of getting the 3 red lights. But it really hasn't been in the market long enough to fully confirm this.

To get this, its best that you go to a B&M and look for the 175W sticker on the side of the box. When purchasing online, you're taking a gamble.

Besdies that, I recommend that you purchase a Pro 360 since this is your first 360. You get the HDD, component cables, and the HDMI port for extra security whenever you want to upgrade your TV. Trust me, you'll be wanting that HDD one you sign on to Xbox Live and see all the game demos, movies, and game content they offer. Not to mention you can only play backwards compatiable games with a HDD. Plus, it comes with 2 games to get your collection started.

But like the others above me said, if you are able to find a HDD for dirt cheap, the arcade version could be the way to go. Memory cards are nice when traveling to a friends house or something.

After reading numerous reviews on youtube, and hearing what others have to say, I'm ether going to buy a..

- Xbox Arcade, and buy a 120GB HDD
- Xbox Elite

I hate all the game's that they come bundled with, and I have no use for HDMI, I use RF connectors on my TV.

[quote name='Riyonuk'] I use RF connectors on my TV.[/quote]

Time to get a new TV.

Do they even make a gizmo to connect a 360 to a TV over RF? You might want to check it out before you buy.

Also, some games (like Two Worlds...which sucked), have problems reading text on the screen unless you have a bigger TV. I had problems, at first, but a new TV made those go away.

TBW

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Time to get a new TV.

Do they even make a gizmo to connect a 360 to a TV over RF? You might want to check it out before you buy.

Also, some games (like Two Worlds...which sucked), have problems reading text on the screen unless you have a bigger TV. I had problems, at first, but a new TV made those go away.

TBW[/QUOTE]

You could use an RF Modulator for roughly 15-20 Bucks. That would work just fine.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I've made up my mind, I wish to purchase an Xbox. I really don't want the elite because it's black, and I hate black consoles[/quote]

Get the Adolph Edition, right up your alley

[quote name='Riyonuk']After reading numerous reviews on youtube, and hearing what others have to say, I'm ether going to buy a..

- Xbox Elite

I hate all the game's that they come bundled with, and I have no use for HDMI, I use RF connectors on my TV.[/quote]

No doubt, if you got the money for the Elite, then do it up- you won't be sorry.

FURTHER, take those lame ass games and trade them into EBgames/Gamestop for some store credit, yo. New, unopened games, what $10 a pop? There's $20 store credit for a new game, yo.

[quote name='Riyonuk']I use RF connectors on my TV.[/QUOTE]

Then you're an idiot. Just buy a VGA cable for the 360 and hook it to a computer monitor it'll look excellent especially when compared to the absolutely abysmal setup you're using now.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Then you're an idiot. Just buy a VGA cable for the 360 and hook it to a computer monitor it'll look excellent especially when compared to the absolutely abysmal setup you're using now.[/quote]

I'm an idiot for using RF cables? And why do I want to play games in my kitchen?

We can't all be rich and have fancy penguin avatars you know?

[quote name='Riyonuk']I'm an idiot for using RF cables? And why do I want to play games in my kitchen?

We can't all be rich and have fancy penguin avatars you know?[/QUOTE]

I'm not rich by any means, if you read my signature you'll see I'm playing on a 21" CRT monitor that I got for $10, it's extremely high quality though. I don't care where you're computer monitor is, you should play your 360 on it. You're also an idiot for spending $400 on a new console when you can't be bothered to upgrade your old ass shitty tv. If you don't want to play in the kitchen buy another computer monitor they are extremely cheap (or free) on craigslist.

Anyone who plays anything that's capable of VGA on anything worse than S-Video (which is still superior to RF) is a total moron.

[quote name='Riyonuk']After reading numerous reviews on youtube, and hearing what others have to say, I'm ether going to buy a..

- Xbox Elite

I hate all the game's that they come bundled with, and I have no use for HDMI, I use RF connectors on my TV.[/quote]

glad to see you're now considering the elite. don't forget, you can always pick up a custom faceplate so you don't have to have an all-black console which you said you didn't like.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'm not rich by any means, if you read my signature you'll see I'm playing on a 21" CRT monitor that I got for $10, it's extremely high quality though. I don't care where you're computer monitor is, you should play your 360 on it. You're also an idiot for spending $400 on a new console when you can't be bothered to upgrade your old ass shitty tv. If you don't want to play in the kitchen buy another computer monitor they are extremely cheap (or free) on craigslist.

Anyone who plays anything that's capable of VGA on anything worse than S-Video (which is still superior to RF) is a total moron.[/quote]
Some of us actually value money, instead of mindlessly throwing it away on 'the latest and greatest' technology that will be antiquated in a few months. Congratulations on being one of the moronic masses.

Anyone that buys a new TV soley because it's hard to read the text of a game seriously needs to rethink their life..

[quote name='peril']glad to see you're now considering the elite. don't forget, you can always pick up a custom faceplate so you don't have to have an all-black console which you said you didn't like.[/quote]

Won't that mean I would have a decorated front, and a black side/back? That would look strange :p

[quote name='Riyonuk']Won't that mean I would have a decorated front, and a black side/back? That would look strange :p[/quote]

probably no less than a decorated front with white sides and top. just gotta pick the right one(s). or there are skin sets which you can apply to the whole console.

[quote name='Riyonuk']A few of us actually work for a living, and some of us actually value money, instead of mindlessly throwing it away on 'the latest and greatest' technology that will be antiquated in a few months.
[/QUOTE]

You didn't read what I wrote at all. You're saying I mindlessly threw away $10 on my cheap but excellent HD monitor? I personally wouldn't recommend getting an HDTV because they are far too expensive.

[quote name='Malik112099']God that would be a great job, minus the mother thing.[/quote]

Not really since the pretty ones get it for free, you'll probably be left with the ugly ones

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']Not really since the pretty ones get it for free, you'll probably be left with the ugly ones[/quote]

if you can see her face while doing that you are some sort of snail-eyed freak

[quote name='PenguinMaster']...you'll see I'm playing on a 21" CRT monitor that I got for $10, it's extremely high quality though... You're also an idiot for spending $400 on a new console when you can't be bothered to upgrade your old ass shitty tv.

Anyone who plays anything that's capable of VGA on anything worse than S-Video (which is still superior to RF) is a total moron.[/quote]

Wow. Someone has the "I have poopie monitor" issues.

Look, children, children, for all you die-hard CAGers: go get a Visio. Like, you can get a 40"+ TV for well under $1,000. Don't be affraid to get TV's from early 2007, or mid/late 2006 (or earlier- TV is a TV, most of the time).

When I bought my Sammy I got my 360 (w/ HDMI, of course). It's so fine. Mmm Mmm MMMMMM.

P.S. I'm hardly rich, don't live with any form of parent, but I am old :)

[quote name='Riyonuk'] and I have no use for HDMI, I use RF connectors on my TV.[/QUOTE]

$400 game console
$60 games

over an RF connection TV OMFGROFLOLLOERSKATERCOPTER!

Aren't RF connectors the U shaped metal hooks you screw into the back of the TV? I think even the NES came with A/V cables standard.

I have to agree with all the anti-RF sentiment. You don't need to buy a 72 inch plasma, but please join the 21st century. We've missed you.

Pretty much. The whole hype about the Xbox 360/PS3 is the high-def. After playing the 360 on SD for a while then switching to HD, I see what I was missing. It would be a shame not to upgrade. You can get a relatively small HDTV (19" to 22") For around 250. I live in a college dorm and have a 19" LCD HDTV and it does great. I was even suprised that it outputs 1080p!

I'm going to say that you need a 120 gig HDD if you are going to play on Xbox live (You WILL download a lot of stuff if you play a lot) and you should At least play your 360 on a computer monitor with a VGA cable.

I wouldn't call you an idiot but playing Xbox 360 through an RF cable is unthinkable. :)

Oh and if you get an elite with the 2 games don't trade them into gamestop or gamecrazy, Only people who are too lazy to get more money do that. (Ebay is better) Gamestop doesn't give more cash for sealed games either, So you might aswell open them up and play them if you get them.

Well not everything's played through an RF cable. Most connect with (R, W, Y) cable (what's it called?) which connects to a VCR and that connect's to my TV. Yes I do despise it, but it's better than...nothing I guess.

I have a 1st gen premium now and I want to get a new premium with HDMI..whats the cheapest way of making this switch??

Do what's right for you and what's right for your budget. Suggestions are one thing, but there's little point to dropping $300+ on a TV with nothing to do with it.

By Feb next year, you should be able to find really good deals on 720P LCD sets. I bet you'd be able to pick up at least a 27" for around $400. But you'll have to be a little patient and LOOK for deals.

bread's done
Back