Xbox advice: which games?

poormojo

CAGiversary!
Hi, I'm going to be picking up an Xbox for myself this week. And I plan to get Halo 2 and Kotor 1 (and 2 when it comes out).

I'm also thinking about Burnout 3, Fable and Morrowwind.

My question si this, what are some other games (besides sports games) that are worth picking up for the Xbox?

Any and all advice is appreciated, and if you have any you'd like to trade check out my sig for my tradelist.

-mojo

You'd be better off skipping Halo 2.. grab KOTOR1, Burnout 3, Fable, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, maybe a MechAssault if you like stuff like that, and X-Men Legends.

Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO, Metal Slug 3, Steel Battalion, Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Rallisport 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, Otogi 1 + 2, Mech Assault, MGS 2, Midnight Club II, DOA series, Broken Sword 3, Guilty Gear XX #Reload ... I think that's enough :p

[quote name='poormojo']Why skip Halo 2? And isn't that Master Chief as your user icon?[/quote]

Because it's crap. Yes, that's MC as my icon. He just looks cool. I haven't played Halo 2 since Nov. 9th - the same day it came out, and the same day I beat it.

My internet SUCKS, that's why I haven't been on Live lately.

I will second the Crimson Skies and Morrowind suggestions. There really isn't another game that I can think of adding to the existing list...

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='poormojo']Why skip Halo 2? And isn't that Master Chief as your user icon?[/quote]

Because it's crap. Yes, that's MC as my icon. He just looks cool. I haven't played Halo 2 since Nov. 9th - the same day it came out, and the same day I beat it.

My internet SUCKS, that's why I haven't been on Live lately.[/quote]The fun of Halo 2 is in the multiplayer, if you get Live you will love it. If you have friends and 4 controllers you will love it. The game is awesome.

[quote name='mmn']Don't listen to Scorch, get Halo 2. It's well worth it.[/quote]
I agree Scorch sounds like a hater. The true fun of Halo 2 lies in online play.. I havent even gotten 1/4 thru single player mode. (partly because yea I wasnt impressed.. but mostly playing online with my friends is a lot more fun) that being said its still the only game Ive been playing since Nov 9th hehe.
Other fun games.. Midtown Madness 3 you can pick that up for under 15 bucks used Im sure. Also Dead or Alive: Ulitmate is a big button masher but a lot of Fun!

Crimson Skies is fun (but it was one of those game that was a flash in the pan... everyone played it for 3 weeks then stopped.. I still own a copy and Im sure ppl still play it but it seem to come and go really fast.)

Screw Halo 2, it's still all about Serious Sam, even if it doesn't support live. Not to mention that there is a sequel in the works.

[quote name='poormojo']Hi, I'm going to be picking up an Xbox for myself this week. And I plan to get Halo 2 and Kotor 1 (and 2 when it comes out).

I'm also thinking about Burnout 3, Fable and Morrowwind.

My question si this, what are some other games (besides sports games) that are worth picking up for the Xbox?

Any and all advice is appreciated, and if you have any you'd like to trade check out my sig for my tradelist.

-mojo[/quote]

Funny, I have owned all those games at one point. You would be greatly benefitted to listen to Scorch, as I will tell you the same thing: Halo 2 is VASTLY overrated. Multiplayer is fun, but it wears off after a few weeks. It doesn't help that I feel Counterstrike and Return to Castle Wolfenstein---both are Platinum Hits by the way---are better on multiplayer. Don't even get me started on single player. The original Halo had a boring multiplayer and this one tops it.

Anyhow, let me break down some good titles for you.

Burnout 3: The best arcade racer on the XBOX. The crashes alone are worth it. Replay value is very high. A mainstay in my collection

Fable: Overhyped and a bit short (on average 10 hours to beat), but its a great game at the right price (20 to 30 dollars)

Morrowind: Amazing. It may seem a little outdated as it is an older game, but this game easily has 200+ hours of gameplay. Its main gripe is that it is too big and non-linear. Be sure to pick up the GOTY version as it includes the expansion packs.

Freedom Fighters: Highly underrated title that can be had for 10 to 15 dollars. Controls are a little weird at first, but its great.

Red Dead Revolver: Great Western game made by the guys that made Grand Theft Auto. People say it isn't "historically" accurate with some over the top bosses, but who the hell cares? Great single player game.

Grand Theft Auto Double Pack: 2 incredible games. A must have.

The Hitman games: Not for everyone, but some good stealth/action games.

Thief Deadly Shadows: People will say Splinter Cell games are better, but I say this is a damn good stealth game.

Pretty much all of the multi-platform titles you may be interested in will look and sound better on Xbox due to the stronger hardware. For starters, I'd recommend going with some value Platinum Hits or used titles before shelling out $50 each for new retail games. That way you can get a good idea of what the system is capable of without spending a whole lot of cash.

Beyond Good & Evil
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Tony Hawk Underground
Simpsons: Hit & Run
Freedom Fighter
X-Men Legends
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1 not 2)
Soul Calibur 2
Def Jam: Fight for New York
NFL Street (I don't play Madden or ESPN or even watch much football but this game was fun - looking forward to 2)

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Pretty much all of the multi-platform titles you may be interested in will look and sound better on Xbox due to the stronger hardware. For starters, I'd recommend going with some value Platinum Hits or used titles before shelling out $50 each for new retail games. That way you can get a good idea of what the system is capable of without spending a whole lot of cash.[/quote]

He wouldn't be on CAG.com if he were going to pay retail. Another idea is to pick up an XBOX and get a freedom pass. Sample everything and buy what you like.

Are you getting XBOX LIVE????

If so,
Halo 2, Ghost Recon 2, Rainbow Six, Project Gotham 2, Rallisport 2.....

If not, why are you getting an XBOX? ;)

Lots of good ones listed above. I am going to throw in my .02 and say that Burnout 3 and Crimson Skies are both excellent games worthy of your attention. Burnout is an absolute blast to play with friends.

I agree and disagree with the negative thoughts about Halo 2. The multiplayer component is a lot of fun, but the number of asshats on XBL has risen lately.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Yeah, I'm getting Xbox Live--it was half of the reason I bought the xbox, the other half was for KOTOR 1 and 2.

Yesterday I picked up KOTOR and Halo 2 (for $40.00), and bought Morrorwwind, Syberia 2 and Shenmue 2 for cheap ($8 each).

How about Counter-Strike? With Live, is it all that everyone claims it is? I'm also looking around for the best price of Prince of Persian and Burnout 3.

I personally did NOT like Counter-Strike, but to each's own on that game.

Honestly, you are better off going with Rainbow 6 (either one) or get Ghost Recon 2....this game is SWEET on LIVE.

I love sports games on LIVE too...but I know you said no sports (ESPN are good though for $20)

bread's done
Back