XBox Arcade Must Haves?

Artrigis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey, have about 8k points to spend, looking to get some games.
Already got limbo, and plan on getting Braid and Shadow Complex.
Are there any other arcade games that are must haves?

Added:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Rez HD

Seconded:
Pac-Man: CE + DX
Splosion Man
Geometry Wars 2

Some love for older classics:
Cloning Clyde
Wik: Fable of Souls
Zuma

Will back up the selections of Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers and Outland. Depending on your style of games, maybe consider Gatling Gears, and if you want a fun time sink, trials HD is great

my favs:
splosion man
trials hd
nba jam: ofe
magic 2012
toy soldiers: cold war
peggle
comic jumper
from dust
bastion
gatling gears
shadow complex
outland
pb winterbottom
pinball fx2 (marvel tables)
puzzle quest 2

hope some of my suggestions help out.

Geometry Wars 2
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Shadow Complex
Limbo
Braid
Trials HD (an extremely frustrating yet strangely fun game)

[quote name='Artrigis']Hey, have about 8k points to spend, looking to get some games.
Already got limbo, and plan on getting Braid and Shadow Complex.
Are there any other arcade games that are must haves?[/QUOTE]

Great choices there. My top XBLA game is Shadow Complex, better than 99% of retail games for the price you pay in my mind. I also got over 100 XBLA games (means I tend to try'em all, but each game has its own peculiar taste, best u can do is try the free demos).

Some other good choices IMO are:
Torchlight
Trials HD
Bastion
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Crimson Alliance
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Section 8: Prejudice
The Maw
Trenched
Limbo

Dungeon Defenders is worth much much more than $15, so it's definitely worth looking at. Just came out. TONS AND TONS of content. Probably the only Arcade game I didn't later regret.

Toy Soldiers: Cold War is also pretty fun, with a friend (entire game is doable in co-op).

I got Shadow Complex a while back on sale, and if you don't like side scrollers... it will piss you off. The aiming sucks ass.

Trenched is a lot of fun, but it will only last so long as it has no DLC and barely any replay value past a certain point.

I don't own Castle Crashers, but it's pretty popular, and is probably worth it.

Crysis 1 is up on Games on Demand for 1600 MSP. It's a pretty decent game.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Going to pick up castle crashers, shadow complex, braid, pacman ce dx, splosion man, and trials HD. And Ill have a few thousand more points so will download the trial of some of your suggestions.

Thanks again guys

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Turtles in Time Reshelled[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this was delisted from the marketplace and is no longer available.

I'd recommend:

Trials HD
South Park Tower Defense Let's Go!
Castle Crashers
Hydro Thunder Arcade
Comic Jumper
Splosion Man
Ms. Splosion Man

Hrm, also while im here. I have a 20 GB hard drive, so space is limited.

Once I download an arcade game, am I free to delete it off my hard drive and redownload free of charge later on?

[quote name='Artrigis']Hrm, also while im here. I have a 20 GB hard drive, so space is limited.

Once I download an arcade game, am I free to delete it off my hard drive and redownload free of charge later on?[/QUOTE]

yes.

[quote name='Artrigis']Hrm, also while im here. I have a 20 GB hard drive, so space is limited.

Once I download an arcade game, am I free to delete it off my hard drive and redownload free of charge later on?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. You can find the page on xbox.com while logged into your account and redownload it for free.

I'm not a fan of Castle Crashers or Trials HD because they feel like simple flash games you could get on Kongregate. It's really great to see what other games you already bought, though, as those would be among my recommendations.

I also really recommend these XBLA games:

Bastion
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Outland
Stacking - gets some mixed reactions, but if you're trying out demos, why not give it a go?

I don't recommend Torchlight simply for the fact that it's much, much better on PC; Steam accounts are free, the game has been on sale for less than $5 on numerous occasions, and keyboard and mouse controls work much better in dungeon crawlers than a controller does (especially when dealing with the 10 customizable hotkeys the game has). It's also on Steam Cloud, so you can play from any computer.

I've got about 85% of the xbla games released and i'll give you this advice, just save your points and wait for sales & price drops. If you see a sale, jump on it and don't wait too long. I know it's cag, but is saving 200 MSP ($2.50) really worth waiting 4 more months down the line to play the game? I've got 8k points to redeem but have nothing to buy anymore that is left worth purchasing @ full price...guess it'll go towards some more rock band.

The last game I purchased @ full price was Nba Jam which was released a few weeks back and I enjoyed playing it online with my brother and friends.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet's demo threw me for a loop. I was wandering why the theme was so familiar when I realized it was a direct rip-off of the symphony only track to a Dimmu Borgir song. Then I come to find that it's the actual song that was licensed for use in the game. I bought the game just on principal for having such inredible music...

[quote name='intoxicated662']I've got about 85% of the xbla games released and i'll give you this advice, just save your points and wait for sales & price drops. If you see a sale, jump on it and don't wait too long. I know it's cag, but is saving 200 MSP ($2.50) really worth waiting 4 more months down the line to play the game? I've got 8k points to redeem but have nothing to buy anymore that is left worth purchasing @ full price...guess it'll go towards some more rock band.

The last game I purchased @ full price was Nba Jam which was released a few weeks back and I enjoyed playing it online with my brother and friends.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Most of the arcade relases have limited online multiplayer so there's no major reason to spend full price unless you really wanna support something.

As for games...

Pac-Man CE: DX
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

and when it's released... Retro City Rampage.

[quote name='Andami']Unfortunately, this was delisted from the marketplace and is no longer available.
[/QUOTE]
man that is crazy.. that is my fav xbox live arcade game

i would get:
shank
perfect dark
tmnt: turtles in time reshelled (if it ever comes up again)
duke nukem: manhattan project

Thanks for more replies, Ill look into those.

I decided to get a trial of trials HD before buying, and as it turns out im apparently about the only one who doesnt like the game.

Just beat limbo today, really fun game glad I got it. Had to go to google three times for help though.

Splosion man is a lot of fun too.. also curious, is there any reason why not many people recommended Ms. Splosion man?

Shadow Complex (if you're into Metroid like games)
TMNT Arcade
TMNT 4 (reshelled) -dl the demo though 1st.
Defense Grid
Pinball FX
Scott Pilgrim
Super Meat Boy- It's alright.

As for Trials, I'm not a fan of it personally.

[quote name='Artrigis']Thanks for more replies, Ill look into those.

I decided to get a trial of trials HD before buying, and as it turns out im apparently about the only one who doesnt like the game.

Just beat limbo today, really fun game glad I got it. Had to go to google three times for help though.

Splosion man is a lot of fun too.. also curious, is there any reason why not many people recommended Ms. Splosion man?[/QUOTE]

Try the demo for Torchlight, I read the demo progress carres over if you decide to purchase the game. It's a dungeon crawler by two of the Diablo guys and it's great so far, imo. Randomized levels and enough differing enemies and loot/mods that it doesn't look like it'll get boring anytime soon. Definitely glad I picked it up on sale for $5, but it definitely seems worth the $15 even.

[quote name='pyoobez']Try the demo for Torchlight, I read the demo progress carres over if you decide to purchase the game. It's a dungeon crawler by two of the Diablo guys and it's great so far, imo. Randomized levels and enough differing enemies and loot/mods that it doesn't look like it'll get boring anytime soon. Definitely glad I picked it up on sale for $5, but it definitely seems worth the $15 even.[/QUOTE]

Ah that explains it, I did do a trial of that game and it instantly reminded me of diablo, even the town reminded me of it, and when I started finding unidentified items and ID scrolls I knew something was up.
Its a fun dungeon crawler.

Edit: I am also one of the few people to not like castle crashers. I am not too keen on side scrolling beat em ups, I tried Scott pilgrim since it was on sale this week too and didn't care for it either.
However Bastion, Outland, and pacman ce dx were all a lot of fun. And I will buy those, now Im just not sure if I should wait to see if they go on sale for black Friday or Christmas?
Outland seems to have flown under the radar, It was well recommended by you guys and I did like it actually, only 6k reviews though on XBL, which isnt very much compared to other games.
I was thinking of picking up Gatling gears on the recommendations here as well, but yesterday through a coupon mistake I got it free from origin, so have it on PC now.

[quote name='Artrigis']Ah that explains it, I did do a trial of that game and it instantly reminded me of diablo, even the town reminded me of it, and when I started finding unidentified items and ID scrolls I knew something was up.
Its a fun dungeon crawler.

Edit: I am also one of the few people to not like castle crashers. I am not too keen on side scrolling beat em ups, I tried Scott pilgrim since it was on sale this week too and didn't care for it either.
However Bastion, Outland, and pacman ce dx were all a lot of fun. And I will buy those, now Im just not sure if I should wait to see if they go on sale for black Friday or Christmas?
Outland seems to have flown under the radar, It was well recommended by you guys and I did like it actually, only 6k reviews though on XBL, which isnt very much compared to other games.
I was thinking of picking up Gatling gears on the recommendations here as well, but yesterday through a coupon mistake I got it free from origin, so have it on PC now.[/QUOTE]

Depending on what you have for a backlog I'd probably hold off for Black Friday/Christmas. Granted, my backlog is always pretty nice as I play so much Left 4 Dead 2, games tend to sit.

Oh and on Black Friday/Christmas there's usually a few games for the equivalent of $2 which is why people hype it up, really. I've picked up Turtles Re-shelled, Unbound Saga and Splosion Man so far. Out of those, 'Splosion Man was the only really good title although I did manage to get through Unbound Saga with a 200/200 GS.

[quote name='pyoobez']Depending on what you have for a backlog I'd probably hold off for Black Friday/Christmas. Granted, my backlog is always pretty nice as I play so much Left 4 Dead 2, games tend to sit.

Oh and on Black Friday/Christmas there's usually a few games for the equivalent of $2 which is why people hype it up, really. I've picked up Turtles Re-shelled, Unbound Saga and Splosion Man so far. Out of those, 'Splosion Man was the only really good title although I did manage to get through Unbound Saga with a 200/200 GS.[/QUOTE]

Ooh $2 games? Alright Ill be sure to save some MSP for those deals then. Im currently playing through "splosion man.. right now actually, just paused it to come to cag :p
Its amazing, its my personal GOTY. Really having a lot of fun with it.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
Costume Quest
Duke Nukem 3D
Pac-man CE: DX
Castelvania: SOTN
LIMBO
Torchlight
Scott Pilgrim
Hydorphobia - Not sure why everyone hates on this game so much. I personally thought it was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Super Meat Boy this weekend, I'm loving it so far.

If you like platformers and enjoy retro video games I highly recommend it

Trials HD is my number one pick. Shadow Complex was awesome though too. But, I have sunk more hours into Trials HD than any other game, full release or arcade. There is always room for improvement, and it's always right there at the edge of your fingers to do it one more time, but better. I have spent the max time limit just to finish the final stages... multiple times. :)

Limbo was great. 'Splosion Man and Ms 'Splosion Man are solid pickups too. I love Super Meat Boy, but the fact that I suck at it made it a short game for me because I just can't finish levels at this point. :)

I second some of these like Battlefield 1943, Castlevania SOTN, Puzzle Quest and Pinball FX2(and and all tables). I'll add:

Plants vs Zombies
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Magic the Gathering(I kinda like the decks better than 2012 personally)
Marvel vs Capcom 2
X-Men

And it doesn't hurt to track down some cheap copies of the Namco arcade collection disc, the Popcap games disc, the Dreamcast collection disc, and the Sonic's Genesis Collection disc. You'll get a bunch of gems on some of those as well. All but the Genesis one will give you the individual games achievements too.

Unless I missed it somewhere in the thread I'm shocked no one mentioned Bionic Commando Rearmed. That and Shadow Complex are my two favorite XBLA titles.

Trails HD is awesomely good, but we have Trials Evolution coming out... well we don't know when, but you might want to wait for that.

Costume Quest
Snoopy Flying Ace - it's a lot of fun, but the online is brutal (it works great, but I get slaughtered. :)
Torchlight
Pac-Man CE and Pac-Man CE DX
Outland

I had so many MS Points and got bored, finally CAVEd in (see what I did there?) and got Deathsmiles 2X..games on demand. Still looking to get more xbl arcade games, any recommendations? Anything mentioned already earlier i've got except for Dungeons Defenders which i'm not a fan of and would rather wait on a sale.

Thinking of getting Guwange, Triggerheart Exelica as those have been my top wants and highly doubt they'll go on sale anytime soon. Any thoughts of Strania?

Madden Arcade (I think that is what it is called) sucked a TON of my time up last year. Haven't played it in awhile, so not sure how many people still play it. It was avg. against computer but unbelievable fun playing other people.

bread's done
Back