XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

I went to boot up NHL 11 to see if EA's servers were down for all games or if it was just Madden, and I got the update. I don't like all the white menu stuff so much, but ESPN3 does look fantastic, and my avatar has gained the extra 6 inches in height that I've always wanted! Hehe.

Yeah, weird that you have to start a game for the update to kick in. It didn't trigger for me until I went into the EA MMA demo. You'd think as soon as you connect to Live it would know you needed to update. Oh well, downloading now! :)

And I agree with Matt. Too much white. That shit is bright as hell.

Your message on Live was funny though, Nate. I hope for more, "Whoa? WTF? How?" messages from others tonight. :)

I forgot to mention that I love the long-needed search feature for Netflix. My computer is in a different room than my TV, so that saves time and enables extra laziness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed that my avatar reverted back to its old clothes. I did have a Halo Reach Beta Tester hoodie on my guy before the update.

Way too much white. I already had a headache and that didn't make it any better.

EDIT: It seems MUCH faster though. The interface itself scrolls faster and applications such as Netflix and viewing friends' profiles seems to load faster.

installing now

edit.. nice.. the avatars do look good. cant use my awards or purchased avatar gear though.

Seems faster.. and yea maybe a tad too white

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I remember them saying you can't use your avatar awards, all mine are gone. Hope thats the case.[/QUOTE]
The only one I can still use is the UNSC Falcon prop, everything else just shows up as an exclamation point.

I'm actually liking the new look, didn't think I would before. Everything loads up faster now, which is one of the things that used to bug me. Netflix search is very awesome, haven't checked out ESPN yet.

Yeah I love the NDA when almost every video game website out there has already posted videos/screens of the entire experience.

[quote name='reddjoey']Not to be a killjoy, but remember that if you got in you are under NDA. You don't want to screw yourself by bragging on CAG[/QUOTE]

OH NO!!! The MS police

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Time to call MS. No dashboard at all even though the Service rep told me i would have it when it went live.[/QUOTE]

did you try booting a game up lately? I didnt get my update till I booted up dead rising 2.

LOL at MS police. I am just a CAG who doesn't want to see other CAGs get screwed over. I am glad to see a ton of CAGs in the beta. More CAGs means more people to party chat with and friends on the locked forums on xbox.com.

Trust me when I say MS dealt with leakers swiftly. You don't want to get booted from the beta and be stuck with the current dash (and no support/updates) until the official release drops.

Also. I am sure MS sent review builds to those websites and they have certain parameters they have to stay within.

[quote name='reddjoey']LOL at MS police. I am just a CAG who doesn't want to see other CAGs get screwed over. I am glad to see a ton of CAGs in the beta. More CAGs means more people to party chat with and friends on the locked forums on xbox.com.

Trust me when I say MS dealt with leakers swiftly. You don't want to get booted from the beta and be stuck with the current dash (and no support/updates) until the official release drops.

Also. I am sure MS sent review builds to those websites and they have certain parameters they have to stay within.[/QUOTE]

All I am saying is have you heard of anybody getting in trouble for talking about a beta with fellow gamers on a gaming website? The only time I have heard of anybody getting in trouble was the idiot that tried to sell his kinect bundle on ebay.

Betas get talked about all the time on CAG and cheapy as well as the mods don't care. So I don't think none of us have anything to worry about. If the mods or cheapy say we can't talk about, so be it, but every major game that has came out says you can't talk about, but we still do and none of us have got in trouble

under upcoming events.. it tells you whats coming up.

next thing i see is diamondbacks vs giants at 10pm est.. I'll be damn impressed if i can watch all the espn3 content.. looks like a bunch of college football games will be showing this weekend

[quote name='theredworm']did you try booting a game up lately? I didnt get my update till I booted up dead rising 2.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I tried. Apparently my system is all fubar'd up. Up to Level 2 support right now with this 360. Hopefully by 10 I will have it.

[quote name='SynGamer']No ESPN3 for me...why am I paying $60 again?[/QUOTE]

Your cable provider does not have a deal with ESPN. Thats how it works when you go to ESPN3.com as well. Out of the big ones, I know ATT uverse and Fios customers get it. When I had TWC(shitty fucking company) I could not watch any Miami football games(always out of market or on ESPN3.com) So glad I have uverse now.

[quote name='screwkick']Gotta say, ESPN is useless. No way to customize sports news by league.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can.

[quote name='SynGamer']No ESPN3 for me...why am I paying $60 again?[/QUOTE]

You're not. And even after the price increases, you still shouldn't be.

So I thought there would be Monday Night Football replays at the very least, but I'm guessing NFL only allows that on their official network. I'm glad they have the college football games on there though... that definitely more than makes up for it.

Seeing how I'm without cable at the moment, this and Netflix combined will more than make up for paying that huge ass cable bill a month. Now all I need is Hulu Plus and I'm set.

Yea.. its quite convenient..

The highlights/sportcenter stuff is pretty cool..

The college football stuff is fantastic. I dont get ESPN in hd through my cable so this is great for me

college football and basketball on my big screen like this is worth the price of gold for me

edit

sure glad Charter in Wisconsin added espn3 support like a year or so ago

So - I have two consoles for multiplayer with others in the house.

I signed up one, not realizing that it was a limited beta.

Should I just call MS and gripe, considering the point of two units is being able to play multiplayer in house?

Or when I load a game, is it going to do the update and not just be a beta - which I suspect, b/c I don't see any whining in this thread from people who didn't get the beta.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']All I am saying is have you heard of anybody getting in trouble for talking about a beta with fellow gamers on a gaming website? ....(edit down for space)....[/QUOTE]

I don't think MS is going to bust in to CAG like the FBI and start banning. I'd say it's fair to discuss it, I'd just be weary of posting vids, pics, etc as you are under NDA and MS has setup a specific forum to discuss. Obviously no-one here is trying to sell their xbox with the beta dashboard.

I don't think I implied that Cheapy or the mods here care, so I'm not sure what your point was there.

[quote name='pfp']So - I have two consoles for multiplayer with others in the house.

I signed up one, not realizing that it was a limited beta.

Should I just call MS and gripe, considering the point of two units is being able to play multiplayer in house?

Or when I load a game, is it going to do the update and not just be a beta - which I suspect, b/c I don't see any whining in this thread from people who didn't get the beta.[/QUOTE]

One not being the beta doesn't hinder multiplayer, it will just won't allow you to party chat. If it's in the same house, it shouldn't be hard to work out an alternate solution if that's the deal breaker.

[quote name='Matt Young']Yes you can.

You're not. And even after the price increases, you still shouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Can someone remind me why we're paying at all then? Anyway, the update is much faster overall. It still lags a bit when popping up the guide in the middle of a game, but an improvement none-the-less.

I was booted from XBox Live in the middle of a game and forced to update. As promised, party chat is now dead for me unless I'm talking to someone else in the beta.

Don't like the new color scheme on some of the blade windows. The light grey against white is really hard to read if your eyes aren't great. The new sound effects are fine, although I don't like the new startup vid, not that those two things matter that much. The dashboard navigation seems a hair faster, but I may be hallucinating.

So at least I can use the ESPN thing. Aside from the initial "this is kind of neat" factor, which will wear off after this week, I'd probably rather give up this (along with Twitter, Facebook, and Last.fm) and keep my extra 10 dollars.

Interesting that you get a "please stand by, this event will resume shortly" message during commercial slots (at least for the Boise St game I have rolling as background noise right now). Figured since it's MS we'd have ads in there already...although there's time for them to implement that I'm sure. The ticker at the bottom of the screen you can bring up with the D-pad is nice.

*Edit* - Oh, and it's annoying as hell that non-standard avatar items don't work. I'm assuming this'll be fixed when the beta is over.

When it comes to the menus and the sounds, as well as the fonts... I can't help but get the nostalgic feeling like I'm playing Dreamcast, for some reason.

[quote name='HydroX']When it comes to the menus and the sounds, as well as the fonts... I can't help but get the nostalgic feeling like I'm playing Dreamcast, for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that at first, but I agree.

Nice to finally have the search available on Netflix.

so after playing around with it for a little bit i turned on the xbox and downloaded the update. i like how everything looks now more slick. the avatars look a little creepy now but navigating is a lot better. i have comcast and for some damn reason i cant load up espn3 it keeps saying "this feature is temporarily unavailable" what the hell, i love espn and this would come in huge for me.

I just downloaded the update. Everything looks slick and navigation is pretty fast. I tried out ESPN3 (Verizon is my ISP) and it seems pretty cool.

This is a great evolution from the previous update.

Well when I do get the update in November (had to stay back thanks to stupid friends I party chat with) I will have ESPN3 but my internet sucks so I doubt I will get it in HD.

the "please stand by" during commercials is an espn3 thing

I've had to watch several games online to see my favorite team play and it's something I've gotten used to already

very neat update its faster has more oraganised fill to it. like i said earlier i dont like the gamercard its bland apart from that i love it

bread's done
Back