XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']I regret signing up for the preview program because of the daily updates. It's getting to be annoying and they take a few minutes each.[/QUOTE]

The amount of time the updates take isn't what bothers me. It's when they give a error message saying they "can't process the update" , along with the poor support on the beta forums. :bomb:

That being said, I definitely regret joining the preview program. :bomb:

Bitch bitch bitch. The updates probably take me like 2 minutes at the most. Big deal.

Only thing I miss is party chat (since my usual friends don't sign up for beta stuff), but I can live without it for now. It shouldn't be long until everyone has the update anyway.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bitch bitch bitch. The updates probably take me like 2 minutes at the most. Big deal.

Only thing I miss is party chat (since my usual friends don't sign up for beta stuff), but I can live without it for now. It shouldn't be long until everyone has the update anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it could be worse, like PS3 updates!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Bitch bitch bitch. The updates probably take me like 2 minutes at the most. Big deal.

Only thing I miss is party chat (since my usual friends don't sign up for beta stuff), but I can live without it for now. It shouldn't be long until everyone has the update anyway.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Agreed.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah it could be worse, like PS3 updates![/QUOTE]

This made me LOL. The updates arent too bad, You did sign up for this afterall...

This update hasn't done much of anything to fix the issues I've had with the dashboard for the past two years. The things that took too long to load before (XBLA game library, Netflix, and Zune Marketplace) were not optimized and the dashboard as a whole wasn't streamlined at all. They got rid of the New Arrivals section of the games store so I now have to go to each section separately to see what's new instead of one central place like before. ESPN is worthless for me since my ISP apparently blocks it. I'm also skeptical that all of the Avatar props I've earned will be fixed when the final version of this update goes live, though at least I'd be done with having to download 20 minute updates every two or three days.

At least they updated the game pages to look nicer and load a bit faster than before, though I would have liked to see the game pages for your library get a similar look to match it. It still has the same plain look as before. It's a disappointing update that just lacks any fundamental upgrades to the dashboard that I've been waiting for since NXE launched.

[quote name='theredworm']20 minute updates?

what kind of horrid internet do you use?[/QUOTE]
Though my connection here isn't great, the original NXE preview took the same amount of time to download on a much better connection and ISP in another part of the country, so I don't think it's my connection.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']At least they updated the game pages to look nicer and load a bit faster than before, though I would have liked to see the game pages for your library get a similar look to match it.[/QUOTE]

This really needs to happen. I find it baffling that they spend so much time to upgrade the pages for the Marketplace, and do nothing for the actual game/media libraries where they would be much more useful and appreciated.

So anyone know when this will stop being a beta and will be released to the public? My friends are bugging me 24/7 about me not being able to join parties.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']So anyone know when this will stop being a beta and will be released to the public? My friends are bugging me 24/7 about me not being able to join parties.[/QUOTE]

My guess is the weekend before the 4th.

You know what's one feature that I really wish they would add to the Marketplace?

A wishlist.

That way I could just mark everything I want, and find it all later listed in one convenient place.

anyone know when the AT&T Uverse will be released? I had my brother call and order it for me and they said it would arrive in a few days, but according to other sites it won't be released until the 1st week of November. Any word on that? Oh yeah, got an update last night in the middle of a halo reach game i was like wtf? lol..I read in the annoucement that it's for kinect users to try espn and other features with kinect now.

[quote name='kklems']At least you have ESPN....Still not getting with Time Warner cable even though they signed a contract to carry it almost a month ago.[/QUOTE]

The following was retweeted by @TWCableHelp
@jeffTWC: We could have ESPN3 ready for our customers as early as 10/25. I'll share pre-reg info and firmer dates as soon as I can.

Yeah, I feel like this has been the most actively updated Dashboard Preview Beta for the 360. It's probably because it is closely tied to the Kinect Beta and they want/need that to work right out of the chute.

[quote name='rapsodist']You know what's one feature that I really wish they would add to the Marketplace?

A wishlist.

That way I could just mark everything I want, and find it all later listed in one convenient place.[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome idea.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I see they fixed some Avatar stuff. MY WWE Belt is now showing.[/QUOTE]

I got some stuff working online on the new xbox.com avatar editor, but going in to my 360 made stuff show as "!" again

I am not really liking the beta so far.

I dont like the new setup for the Game MArketplace (except for the face you have the A-Z search right there instead of clicking on 3 different things to get to it).
Not a fan of the white backgrounds. of the slides when you hit the guide button. We should be able to change the color of that.

ESPN is kool but the only time I wanna check ESPN is when Im playing a game. So I can just check it on my phone or just pause the game and change back to cable on my TV Quick or pause and check ESPN3 on the laptop. Otherwise Id have to exit the game. Still not getting why live was raised to $60. So glad I picked up a few 12 month cards a month ago when Target mispriced them at $20 at the Halo reach launch. lol.

I wish they had an option to Join Session In Progress When Available. I hate checking to see if a friend's game is joinable over and over again. Just choose the join when available option and have it automatically put you in the game with your pals when space is available.

I really think all the people complaining about the "whiteness" of the dashboard do not have their TV's properly calibrated.

Take them off "store display torch mode" and calibrate it with some proper calibration tools and it's fine.

I am sure Microsoft mostly tests on reference calibrated displays. They can't, and shouldn't, try and compensate for people that like their brightness and backlights cranked.

That said, I do not see why they can't offer 3 or 4 other color choices.

he following was retweeted by @TWCableHelp
Quote:
@jeffTWC: We could have ESPN3 ready for our customers as early as 10/25. I'll share pre-reg info and firmer dates as soon as I can.

That is some good news but I wonder if xbox will allow TWC nternet only customers to use espn3 because I have read that they can NOT use espn3 via the web as it is being reserved only for TWC cable customers who have to sign in to watch.

[quote name='kklems']he following was retweeted by @TWCableHelp
Quote:

That is some good news but I wonder if xbox will allow TWC nternet only customers to use espn3 because I have read that they can NOT use espn3 via the web as it is being reserved only for TWC cable customers who have to sign in to watch.[/QUOTE]

My cousin is an admin at TWC and I asked him for you.

ESPN3 will launch on 10/26.
Customers must subscribe to ESPN as part of their video package in order to have access to ESPN3.com.
TWC customer eligibility is NOT dependent upon the customer’s HSD subscription.

So yes, you must get cable tv through TWC to get ESPN3. He said it's handled as an additional cable channel in their system.

[quote name='thrustbucket']My cousin is an admin at TWC and I asked him for you.

So yes, you must get cable tv through TWC to get ESPN3. He said it's handled as an additional cable channel in their system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking. I knew that cable customers only got ESPN3 but I wasn't sure how XBOX live would handle that but I bet they make you provide your login info for twc just like netflix, last fm, facebook etc to exclude non cable customers.

[quote name='kklems']Thanks for asking. I knew that cable customers only got ESPN3 but I wasn't sure how XBOX live would handle that but I bet they make you provide your login info for twc just like netflix, last fm, facebook etc to exclude non cable customers.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no.

Well I have comcast, and I am assuming it will work the same way.

When you go to use ESPN3 on Xbox the ISP will transparently allow you or not allow you to access it. There is no signing in. The ISP (TWC) is the gatekeeper.

I've seen a couple people with their avatars in their gamercard like the above:

the+red+worm.png

How are they doing this?

Also, when does the beta end? When Kinect comes out? Do we know if all the avatar awards will be updated by then?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Actually, no.

Well I have comcast, and I am assuming it will work the same way.

When you go to use ESPN3 on Xbox the ISP will transparently allow you or not allow you to access it. There is no signing in. The ISP (TWC) is the gatekeeper.[/QUOTE]

Interesting the google searches I did on TWC and Espn3 indicated that to watch on the web you would have to log in to access the content. I wonder if there is hope for internet only TWC customers.

That is last piece of TV I don't have. I use Netflix and Playon to stream to my living room but sometimes live sports are hard to find to stream. But for $8 a month i can live without sports on cable (Can still use rabbit ears for locals) Cable here is insane expensive and I tried dish and that was not much cheaper and the service sucked.

So today Time Warner is suppose to get ESPN3, on the website you now have to sign in but nothing on the Xbox. Anyone have any ideas? I do not have cable but I could always use a family member's log in if I had to right?

The only avatar rewards that work for me at the moment are from Comic Jumper, Splosion Man, and Monday Night Combat out of a good dozen or so games I've earned items from.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only avatar rewards that work for me at the moment are from Comic Jumper, Splosion Man, and Monday Night Combat out of a good dozen or so games I've earned items from.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can't use any of my Halo stuff or some colthes I bought.

None of my rewards work. Checked Splosion Man after Frisky posted his Splosion Man stuff works. Maybe they just aren't getting to the girl stuff as fast.

[quote name='utopianmachine']None of my rewards work. Checked Splosion Man after Frisky posted his Splosion Man stuff works. Maybe they just aren't getting to the girl stuff as fast.[/QUOTE]

try changing them on xbox.com, I had luck with rewards there before they worked on my xbox

[quote name='theredworm']try changing them on xbox.com, I had luck with rewards there before they worked on my xbox[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the Lara Croft outfit works now, online only.

The avatar issues have been exceedingly erratic to say the least. Some items work on the site but not on the console which is semi-normal but then you have these wildly varying reports of what works for who and when.

For instance; the Costume Quest awards are working just fine for some, not working for most, and cause an error code for others. Some of this can be fixed by deleting the cache files while some report that doing so does nothing.

I'm highly skeptical that all of these avatar issues are going to magically come together by Nov. 4th. (the stated deadline)

Anybody with Time Warner Cable tried to use ESPN3 on their preview now that we can get ESPN3? You have to log in via the web, when you watch it on the web. Don't see how this will be possible on Xbox Live. Anybody tried this that has TWC?

bread's done
Back