XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

So the whole RT/LT scrolling issue I have seems to be with my TE stick. RT will not scroll the dash vertically, but a controller will. VERY odd.

I'll see if my sources can provide me with something to "prove" it to you without getting them fired, if it makes you happy.

As an example off the top of my head, though, the previous dashboard update (the one after NXE) contained the ability to support LUA (which is used for a lot of the ads and little mini-games without having to download stuff). They certainly would not still support the previous version that did not support LUA.

Now, you could always make the argument that YOU think MS should include the ability to "Skin" your dashboard - but that would be an entirely new supported feature, not as simple as just a toggle as some people think.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yeah I've only heard bad things about the update and nervous about updating to it. I like everything the way it is now, I just wish they would optimize the loading when you go to the game marketplace or when you open your games library.

I guess the only thing I'm looking forward to is better audio codecs.[/QUOTE]
The game marketplace loads more quickly now, though they did other things to it that weren't so great. It still takes about 30 seconds for XBLA games to show up in my library.

I'm surprised that I didn't have to download another update. I just had to accept an ominous new ToS that started with "This is a contract between you and Microsoft."

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'll see if my sources can provide me with something to "prove" it to you without getting them fired, if it makes you happy.[/quote]

I'll just have to take you at face value.

Now, you could always make the argument that YOU think MS should include the ability to "Skin" your dashboard - but that would be an entirely new supported feature, not as simple as just a toggle as some people think.

Except I didn't say this, nor do I really care. I don't like the new one, I want the old one. I think many people think the same. It's that simple. I don't need to Myspace my dash, just like I don't need it to have eye bleeding contrast ratios and jarring animations.

Is anyone having problems downloading the update itself? I've tried 3 times now and it will not update no matter what I do...

[quote name='jdangerc']Having problems downloading! Anyone else having problems?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Tried 10x here. Of course Xbox support is either down or slow as balls as well.

Wonderful! Good job Microsoft!

I just popped in EA Sports MMA.. it went to a black screen then an error popped up and said "This game cannot be played at this time".

What the fuck? It wasn't a disc read error or anything, the disc is brand new! I tried it again and it worked.. but.. that was weird

I figured traffic to download the update would be high today.. glad I got it this morning.

Any news on if this eliminates or hinders J-Tags? I'm not looking forward to possibly playing with cheaters and douchebags when Black Ops comes out. That and the new codec for voice chat is all I was looking forward to.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Part of the new "look" involves more than just new colors and skin. It's using different, more efficient, code.

So to give you "choice" of how your dashboard looks would require separate code paths, thus more QA all the time to make sure everything displays correctly in different "skins", which would translate into more costs.

The sound effects? Really? I can understand complaining that it's too bright (although if your screen is properly calibrated, it really should not be too bright) - but sound effects?[/QUOTE]It's a jarring enough change from the soft green of the prior NXE desktop and environment.

I could care less about the skinning aspect, though I can't imagine why they decided that white was the color that worked best for this new version of the system's "desktop". I sort of expected it when I saw the clusterfuck that the Xbox.com site was after the redesign, though going from the green to the white is a bit jarring.

My display is calibrated (LG 55LE8500), though I still think that some color other than the white would have been a better choice.

[quote name='Strell']Except I didn't say this, nor do I really care. I don't like the new one, I want the old one. I think many people think the same. It's that simple. I don't need to Myspace my dash, just like I don't need it to have eye bleeding contrast ratios and jarring animations.[/QUOTE]It took a while to go from the old blade dash to NXE, though the change was a large change from the old setup. This one, it's too bright white for my tastes, and even if there was just an option for some other color(s) than the bright white, it would be bearable.

It's not like we can avoid doing the update.

anyone have issues updating Netflix and Last.fm apps? when they go to update, they come back with an error saying to check my connection. what the?

Oh good, my friends list re-populated.

The new dash feels a bit snappier, but that always happens right away and everything gets slow once everyone has updated. The new look is sharper, but not being able to see more than 3 panels at once isn't a good thing in my opinion. That angled effect of the old dashboard allowed you to see what was coming in advance and I liked that.

Too soon to rush to judgment, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

Seemed like the...oh, let's get technical...little screen that pops up when you hit the "Green X" button was choppy when scrolling right to left. And the ESPN program took a couple tries to download. And the text looks smaller, so I feel bad for those with bad eyes.

I don't really care either way, as long as the games work.

[quote name='von551']anyone have issues updating Netflix and Last.fm apps? when they go to update, they come back with an error saying to check my connection. what the?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but ESPN was having trouble this morning.. and this dashboard update likes to sign me out

[quote name='Scorch']Not yet, but ESPN was having trouble this morning.. and this dashboard update likes to sign me out[/QUOTE]

I haven't had problems of signing me out, it just doesn't want to recognize the Auto Sign-In. I've had to manually sign in both times I got on.

[quote name='Corvin']I haven't had problems of signing me out, it just doesn't want to recognize the Auto Sign-In. I've had to manually sign in both times I got on.[/QUOTE]

Same, but it's signed me out twice now after playing a game. Also, netflix keeps wanting me to watch Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because it keeps going to it. Also, every time I try to update my Avatar's clothes or whatever it wants me to do, the update fails.

I'm guessing that this is a rush job to get it out there before Kinect will launch.. if this dashboard is any indication of Kinect's functionality.. ooh boy.

[quote name='Scorch']Same, but it's signed me out twice now after playing a game. Also, netflix keeps wanting me to watch Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because it keeps going to it. Also, every time I try to update my Avatar's clothes or whatever it wants me to do, the update fails.

I'm guessing that this is a rush job to get it out there before Kinect will launch.. if this dashboard is any indication of Kinect's functionality.. ooh boy.[/QUOTE]

Probably. Some people got their hands on Kinect before launch, and it screwed up their LIVE capability completely because of the difference in firmwares required. That's what they get for "Kinecting"! :lol:

[quote name='shrike4242']It's a jarring enough change from the soft green of the prior NXE desktop and environment.

I could care less about the skinning aspect, though I can't imagine why they decided that white was the color that worked best for this new version of the system's "desktop". I sort of expected it when I saw the clusterfuck that the Xbox.com site was after the redesign, though going from the green to the white is a bit jarring.

My display is calibrated (LG 55LE8500), though I still think that some color other than the white would have been a better choice.

It took a while to go from the old blade dash to NXE, though the change was a large change from the old setup. This one, it's too bright white for my tastes, and even if there was just an option for some other color(s) than the bright white, it would be bearable.

It's not like we can avoid doing the update.[/QUOTE]

During the preview it went from pretty bright white to somewhat off white. On my screen it is pretty off white, almost grey - which is why it makes me wonder if many of you have your brightness (white balance) too high to begin with.

[quote name='Scorch']Same, but it's signed me out twice now after playing a game. Also, netflix keeps wanting me to watch Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because it keeps going to it. Also, every time I try to update my Avatar's clothes or whatever it wants me to do, the update fails.[/quote]

These kinds of problems make me think the live service is just being pegged trying to update everyone. Nothing like that happened in the preview.

I'm guessing that this is a rush job to get it out there before Kinect will launch.. if this dashboard is any indication of Kinect's functionality.. ooh boy.
I talked today with someone in the Kinect beta. I asked what they thought. They said they went into it very skeptical, like most hardcore gamers, but ended up rather impressed. They made a special point to say that it actually "works" with as much or less lag than Wii.

They also said that if you already hate the games you've seen for it, not to bother - it is what it is.
[quote name='Strell']I'll just have to take you at face value.[/quote]
No really, I will try to find some proof. My source seems to be out sick today, however. I'll ask him tomorrow.

I'm stuck in an infinite loop at the moment with the update. Cut the system on, attempt to download the update. Update gets 75% through then fails. System reboots and tells me an update is available. Try to update now, and the update fails again.

Wonderful.

Is there anyway of removing that security or whatever its called tab on the my xbox bit? Its like just before all the game achievement tabs.

it took me a bit of time before the update finally went through...I must have tried 20 times before it finished. It kept on failing and blaming my internet connection for it..

the dashboard is nice, a little slow, but I expect that to change soon..

[quote name='thrustbucket']During the preview it went from pretty bright white to somewhat off white. On my screen it is pretty off white, almost grey - which is why it makes me wonder if many of you have your brightness (white balance) too high to begin with.[/QUOTE]I'll take a second look today and see if it's as jarring as it first was this morning.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm stuck in an infinite loop at the moment with the update. Cut the system on, attempt to download the update. Update gets 75% through then fails. System reboots and tells me an update is available. Try to update now, and the update fails again.

Wonderful.[/QUOTE]Are you connected via Ethernet or wireless? If wireless, see if you can connect to it via Ethernet and see if you're able to get past it. If not, then try to disconnect your network connection and boot it up. It should fail past it, and then power it off, reconnect your network connection and see if it works through it.

Found a bug where everytime you exit a menu (going into game details to delete if off a hard-drive) to the top menus, it pauses for a good 8-10 ish seconds before letting you do whatever you want.

I was wired Shrike. FINALLY got it after 3 hours of on again, off again trying.

Not seeing the color issues that others are. yeah, it's white, but it's not that bad. Everything is easily readable.

I feel like they're dumbing down the dashboard to target a new audience (obviously). I don't think this update is as bad as many are making it out to be. The ESPN integration is decent, but I had the live stream get so blurry I couldn't even watch it anymore. I figure that'll clear up over time. Other than that, it's not that awful.

Besides my avatar gaining like two feet of height overnight, I like the new dashboard (and especially the voice codec!). Everything's not slanted off the side anymore, it's just flat. I just wish I could get rid of the Video/Music tabs because nobody likes those. :roll:

Except for patching... I'm trying to patch UT3, and it's taking a while. Dashboard update went fine, though.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Other than that, it's not that awful.[/QUOTE]

Now there's an endorsement for ya! ;^)

My oldest was able to get the update this morning 7-ish without issues. I haven't been able to test it out myself yet.

When I press the guide button now (after doing the update) it lags a second before the menu pops up; this didn't happen before.

[quote name='crunchewy']Now there's an endorsement for ya! ;^)

My oldest was able to get the update this morning 7-ish without issues. I haven't been able to test it out myself yet.[/QUOTE]

It's just not as bad as some people are making it out to be. Yes, it's "family friendly", but it's certainly not wii-like.

What do you guys think of the new dashboard update? Honestly, I think the square graphics are a step down from the smooth look it had before. Maybe I'll get used to it though. If anyone wants to get some good images, I'll stick 'em in the OP. What do you guys think of it?

I like the old look better so far. I was worried they might have changed the achievement sound but thankfully it's still the same. :D

I honestly don't like it. ESPN is the only decent thing out of it, and I won't even use it that much as I would rather just watch an event live on TV. The new voice chat makes everyone sound like a raspy robot and the white background on the guide and everything else is way too bright and I agree on the square graphics. I'm not really ranting, I'm just stating my opinions on the changes.

Like everyone else, I also think it looks downgraded. The new opening sequence is pretty nice (only saw it once) and I actually like the matching box art they have been putting on new games (for example - Crackdown 2).

Too bad this update kicked me off live while I was ranking up in Gears of War --- cost me like 30 minutes worth of experience :whistle2:\

I believe they did cut back headset quality. This COULD be a good thing though since voice will probably use less bandwith.

The new interface looks pretty slick overall, but I am a little miffed that my avatar clothing update failed and now I can't access any of my purchased or awarded avatar items. Sweet!

to me it seems like the dashboard took a giant step back, It went from having this cool modern look to something that looks like its from the late 90's. Like taking Windows 7 and reverting it back to windows 3.1 (i think I'm showing my age on this one)

[quote name='Dominator42']I honestly don't like it. ESPN is the only decent thing out of it, and I won't even use it that much as I would rather just watch an event live on TV. .[/QUOTE]

The point of ESPN3 is it has tons of games not on TV (outside of their payperview package).

Unfortunately my current ISP doesn't support it so I can't use it.

Anyway, haven't downloaded the update yet, so no impressions yet.

Looks like the graphics update is universally hated haha, is the microphone quality really lower? I can't tell that much of a difference.

It said that error code for my avatar items but I'm wearing the same thing still..hmm

My update won't even download, anyone else having this problem? I actually got the new graphics for a moment, then I got a download error and it went back to the old-style menus. So now I can't get on Live unless I apply the update that it won't let me download, great.

[quote name='BustaUppa']My update won't even download, anyone else having this problem? I actually got the new graphics for a moment, then I got a download error and it went back to the old-style menus. So now I can't get on Live unless I apply the update that it won't let me download, great.[/QUOTE]

Happened to me earlier for about 4 hours. Just keep trying. It'll eventually happen. The servers are slammed.

As far as the update, I'm fine with it. It's more family friendly, but whatever...

You guys who have been on 360 for a while now should know that things are always screwy on:
1) Launch day of any AAA/Huge title
2) Big Events (Dashboard update)

No problems downloading the update, just waiting for things to start working again.
Can't download anything off the marketplace and can't play games online or get updates as it drops me as soon as they load up.

I don't mind the look of the update, but I'm disappointed with the ESPN3 channel. For something promising over 3,500 events I'm only seeing 4 or 5. And that includes a story on Randy Moss, which I don't consider an "event".

I think I will be trading my 360 in after this update. The dashboard now gives me a headache, my eyes are aching ugh. The new voice coding sucks and everyone sounds like a robot. Hopefully they will patch it or my PS3 will be getting a lot more use.

The update graphically is fine by me. But some recent purchases I made on another Xbox aren't showing up. I'm signed in, bought Super Meat Boy on another Xbox a few days ago and when I try and play it it wants me to re-buy it.
I don't see the white out at all. I think a lot of people have their tv's settings to the default torch mode. Looks like a soft white / light grey on my set.

bread's done
Back