XBOX disc read error...what are my options

RomaVictor

CAGiversary!
Okay, my brother's HaloBox...um, XBOX....won't read some of his games and its to the point where he wants a new one. I told him that he has some options:

1. Call Microsoft and send it to them. Sure, he'll have to pay 2/3 the cost of a new box, but he'll have all his old files intact plus he can renew his warranty.

2. Trade-in his old games TODAY at EBgames to take advantage of their trade in special, and buy a new box. This could also be combined with...

3. Here's the iffy one. We called EB and Gamestop, and both offer around $70 trade in value for XBOX. EB will also give $30 if there is a disc read error. Should he take it in and roll the dice, hoping the tester game works? Then he could go to another EB and use his credit to buy a new XBOX.

What do you all think? Any suggestions/comments? I appreciate any and all responses.

If it's an Xbox from close to launch, with a Thomson drive, call Microsoft, follow their troubleshooting, and if/when it doesn't work, they may tell you that it's still "under warranty" and fix it for free. It's worth a shot.

If its a Thomson Drive, you can just buy a replacement DVD Drive on e-bay for around $30 to $35 and pop it in yourself. I fixed mine for the same issue and it takes about 20 minutes to install the new drive (mainly opening it up and closing it) and works as good as new afterwards.

Check out this website out for more info on do it yourself repairs:

www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/repairs.htm

[quote name='mick16']If its a Thomson Drive, you can just buy a replacement DVD Drive on e-bay for around $30 to $35 and pop it in yourself. I fixed mine for the same issue and it takes about 20 minutes to install the new drive (mainly opening it up and closing it) and works as good as new afterwards.

Check out this website out for more info on do it yourself repairs:

www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/repairs.htm[/quote]
Sure you could spend $30 on another Thomson and sooner or later that one would go out on you too. Samsungs and Phillips are usually at least twice that, but you get what you pay for.

[quote name='Spoon_si']it's a halo xbox.. so I say give microsoft a cal.. those things are rare as hell now...[/quote]

I think he was incinuating its only good for Halo...

I have this problem. Old 'Box, and I confirmed it's a Thomson drive. Called Microsoft up sometime a few months ago, and they said, like Birbo said up there, to delete the saves off of the hard drive, since one may be corrupted. Since I have around 70+ Xbox games, this presents a problem..I'm waiting for a good deal on the official memory units, but I doubt it'll help, since those Thomson drives are very cheap, and most people seem to have problems with them. I got it over 3 years ago too, so I'm not sure it'll be under warranty.

My advice is to delete all the saves, if you have a memory unit handy, just because that's what MS will have you do anyway. Then, give them a call and if they want to charge you, be very firm about it. Say something along the lines of "Oh man..are you sure you can't come down on that price a little?" and things like that. Keep in mind, if it's manufacturing flaw, it's their fault, and you shouldn't have to pay for it to be fixed either way. Now if only I had some backbone..

You better be careful about sending in an Xbox to Microsoft. My friends Xbox crapped out on him three times, and each time, Microsoft deleted all of his saves. I can't believe he didn't give up on the damn thing. He spent a lot, and each time, had to start anew with his saves. Just a word of warning...

[quote name='Rig']You better be careful about sending in an Xbox to Microsoft. My friends Xbox crapped out on him three times, and each time, Microsoft deleted all of his saves. I can't believe he didn't give up on the damn thing. He spent a lot, and each time, had to start anew with his saves. Just a word of warning...[/quote]

Did they send him back a different/refurbished Xbox or did they actually delete the saves off the same Xbox and keep sending it back?

if you end up sending it in, do not settle with whatever they tell you the cost will be. Call teh BBB and complain. You will them recieve a call, and they will half the amount

This ought to fix it right up:

IMAG001A.JPG

bread's done
Back