XBox Doomed?

Oh man, the title of this thread really gave me a scare, then I realized it was some dumbass's rant that didn't make any sense and a feeling of relief engulfed my body.

[quote name='XboxMaster']Oh man, the title of this thread really gave me a scare, then I realized it was some dumbass's rant that didn't make any sense and a feeling of relief engulfed my body.[/quote]

I feel like that after I take a hot steaming dump.

Do your feces often 'steam'? I'd get that checked out. As the saying goes, where there's smoke (or steam), there's fire.

[quote name='XboxMaster']Oh man, the title of this thread really gave me a scare, then I realized it was some dumbass's rant that didn't make any sense and a feeling of relief engulfed my body.[/quote]

I actually thought it was going to link to some article on Doom 3. :roll:

And no way in hell is XBox on the way out. While I'm not too crazy about how fast they want to push XBox Next out there (2005?! Bah!), the first one still has a lot of its best stuff yet to come.

That's what you get when a guy who hasn't owned a video game system since he was 12 writes an article on the state of the Xbox.

Here's the strangest section IMO

...and while there are plans for a next-generation system (complete with a new IBM GPU and possibly no hard drive), it won't arrive any time this year. And look at the company's track record with Windows. How long does Microsoft think gamers will wait?

So Microsoft should show it's devotion to fans and the console industry by prematurely rolling out the next console? The Dreamcast is a great example of what can go wrong when a company puts out new console hardware before consumers are ready to switch.

The Xbox has only been in stores since 2001, right?

[quote name='KaneRobot']While I'm not too crazy about how fast they want to push XBox Next out there (2005?! Bah!), the first one still has a lot of its best stuff yet to come.[/quote]

I agree - I don't feel the need for new consoles until at least 2006, if not later. But, even if XboxNext comes out in 2005, we still have Jade Empire, KOTOR2, Fable, Halo2...and there's probably more, but it's too early to think.

That guy should not be in a position to share that mindless dribble. While his point "Look at MS' track record" does indicate a pattern, he clearly doesn't realize that MS has carved itself a place at the table. You've got to be a stupid motherfucker with your head up your ass not to notice Microsoft's success with the Xbox. :bs:

If Microsoft was truly serious about the gaming hardware market, it would be working on or already have introduced a Gameboy competitor.

Oh man, what a giant tool. What's the point of having 3 1/2 (GBA/SP/DS being 1 1/2.) handhelds? Why would the market need three players in the portable segment? I have three consoles and a GBA, I haven't bought a GBA game in a year and a half, I NEVER play the thing. I can't be the only one either.

I love when d*bags that know the PC market think they can relate all they know to the console market. In this case it shows you that the two business models have as much in common as wing tips and basketball shoes do in the shoe market.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I have three consoles and a GBA, I haven't bought a GBA game in a year and a half, I NEVER play the thing. I can't be the only one either.[/quote]

Yeah me too. I only bought 2 or 3 GBA games to begin with and I'm even considering buying some new once because its such a shame to let it go to waste.

assclown.jpg

Neither do I think that Xbox 2 should be released next year. We got a lot of great games coming out the end of this year, all next year, and a lot I already out I haven't played!!! But, if they released in 2006, then it'd be at the end of the year, so that would be a long wait, but still, I don't won't it coming out in 2005. Wouldn't it be great (and impossible) if Microsoft just took a long break in, say, 2006, then discount a lot of their good, but older, games, so then we could all catch up on what we missed out on, now that would be awesome!!!

The reason Microsoft is pushing Xbox Next and dumping the current one is piracy. Why should Microsoft keep spending money on games that will just be copied? That's why they are so hardcore about XBox Live, at least they can make money with that. And then Next won't have a hard drive. Why? To limit piracy. While the author's logic is wrong he is right in some ways. Too many pirates have spoiled the XBox.

[quote name='dhrez']The reason Microsoft is pushing Xbox Next and dumping the current one is piracy. Why should Microsoft keep spending money on games that will just be copied? That's why they are so hardcore about XBox Live, at least they can make money with that. And then Next won't have a hard drive. Why? To limit piracy. While the author's logic is wrong he is right in some ways. Too many pirates have spoiled the XBox.[/quote]

First off, they havent said if it will or will not have a hard drive. It might have some type of flash memory, which could be in the several GB range. Piracy isnt an xbox only problem. Jack ass.

[quote name='BigNick']First off, they havent said if it will or will not have a hard drive. It might have some type of flash memory, which could be in the several GB range. Piracy isnt an xbox only problem. Jack ass.[/quote]

Certainly it isn't but anyone can pirate an XBox. PS2 at least has some difficulties being pirated because either you have to solder in your PS2 (which most people won't do for fear of messing up) or you have the swap disc which is a hassle everytime you won't to switch. Then you have to burn games which means you first have to get your hands on the actual game and hope it doesn't mess up. Some games, like Champions of Norath, can't be copied because of the dual layer discs. True, none of that is too hard.

The Gamecube is rediculous and I won't get into that except to say good luck finding Phantasy Star Online.

Then the XBox. All you have to do is download games to your computer and set up a network between the computer and the XBox. While maybe a little harder for the computer illiterate, once it's done, it's done and you're free to play any game for the Xbox as long as you can find it online. The interface on the XBox is easy to navigate thru and the instructions are written out simple enough for anyone to flash the bios.

My point is that the XBox is open for piracy. While I don't own any of the above systems I have seen others try to pirate the PS2 and the XBox and the XBox allows it happen so much easier. Plus it seems that the XBox pirate community is much bigger than the PS2 making me think that it's easier to do (and more benefical with the ability to play movies and emulate older systems) and thus more people have done it causing Microsoft a little scare.

PS2 piracy is trivial. It requires no technical expertise at all since there are numerous places the will mod your PS2 for you or sell you a modded unit. Most of these people will back up their work with a guarantee of replacement if they kill your console by accident. The risk for them is minor since most mod job are extremely simple tasks for any experienced tech. This has been true for every disc based game system.

The primary impediment (if one wishes to avoid renting legit games to copy) is the amount of time it takes to download a game that contains a lot of FMV material or a very extensive soundtrack.

Dual-layer burners are now available to consumers. so much for that defense.

The article is pretty inane. The columnist demonstrates he understand neither Microsoft's hardware motivations or the console industry.

Just because Microsoft has a finalized hardware spec does not mean the product is anywhere near ready to launch. Has the actual chipset taped out yet? There are no semiconductor trades reporting anything like that, so I'd be inclined to say no. In which case all software development is still only in the simulation stage and has yet to run on the real platform. These things take years, especially if you are creating a new platform as opposed to drawing from an existing product and streamlining it for a particular application, as seen with the Xbox.

Microsoft has a long history of producing hardware and withdrawing from that market once other manufacturers have become well established in the same sector. This is often because Microsoft is trying to improve a particular aspect of the type of product rather than become a dominant player in that field. When MS went into the wireless networking business their only real contribution was in the software to ease setup for less experienced users. (The products were toherwise just repackaged stuff from SMC's parent.) The major consumer LAN companies like D-Link, Linksys, etc. have made great improvements since then. Thus there is no longer an incentive for Microsoft to compete in such a low margin business.

This is different from their mouse and keyboard business. Those products do very well in the corporate and are very worthwhile on their own merits, not just to push new standards like scroll wheels or optical mice that don't need a grid pad like the old days.

[quote name='dhrez'][quote name='BigNick']First off, they havent said if it will or will not have a hard drive. It might have some type of flash memory, which could be in the several GB range. Piracy isnt an xbox only problem. Jack ass.[/quote]

Certainly it isn't but anyone can pirate an XBox. PS2 at least has some difficulties being pirated because either you have to solder in your PS2 (which most people won't do for fear of messing up) or you have the swap disc which is a hassle everytime you won't to switch. Then you have to burn games which means you first have to get your hands on the actual game and hope it doesn't mess up. Some games, like Champions of Norath, can't be copied because of the dual layer discs. True, none of that is too hard.

The Gamecube is rediculous and I won't get into that except to say good luck finding Phantasy Star Online.

Then the XBox. All you have to do is download games to your computer and set up a network between the computer and the XBox. While maybe a little harder for the computer illiterate, once it's done, it's done and you're free to play any game for the Xbox as long as you can find it online. The interface on the XBox is easy to navigate thru and the instructions are written out simple enough for anyone to flash the bios.

My point is that the XBox is open for piracy. While I don't own any of the above systems I have seen others try to pirate the PS2 and the XBox and the XBox allows it happen so much easier. Plus it seems that the XBox pirate community is much bigger than the PS2 making me think that it's easier to do (and more benefical with the ability to play movies and emulate older systems) and thus more people have done it causing Microsoft a little scare.[/quote]
Well, copying games to the xbox requires a mod chip, and then evox(or similiar) as a dashboard. Not easy tasks. You can get a boot disk, and copy ps2 games to the HD in about 10 minutes a game.

bread's done
Back