Xbox DOTW 11/30 - Sonic 2 for 240 Spacebucks

If you want to play through Sonic 2 as Knuckles, though, don't get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. That game doesn't even have Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked-on.

If you're into achievements, this is worth it too, considering there might only be one Sonic 2 achievement in the collection (if that).

For $3, I think I'll pick it up for some extra cheevos.

Yeah I was bummed out that Genesis Collection didn't have Sonic 3 & Knuckles, most definitely my favorite of the bunch.

[quote name='jrod69']it has all the sonics.....[/QUOTE]
It doesn't let you lock-in Sonic & Knuckles with either Sonic 2 or 3, though.

No online (even leaderboards) or lock-in was a pretty big disappointment. But I did the original Amazon trade-in deal and got it for $8, so I can't complain. 50 games for $20 is still a good value, as well. It's just Sega's reason for not having lock-in is bullcrap (not enough room, I believe was the excuse), as for 360 when you install it to the HDD it uses less than a gig.

This isn't a bad deal, but I already own this game for my Genesis (pack-in title, complete with "do not resell" warnings), GameCube/Wii (Mega Collection), and 360 (Ultimate Genesis Collection). Even for $3, I don't need to buy this game again, especially if the emulation is even the slightest bit suspect.

[quote name='WhatIsThatThing']If you want to play through Sonic 2 as Knuckles, though, don't get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. That game doesn't even have Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked-on.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, Sonic 2 wasn't designed with Knuckles in mind. It's different, and arguably easier because of the glide and climb moves, but it isn't as much fun as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

[quote name='Skoad']Technically, you shouldn't buy the entire collection for just one game, anyway.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that I did, or tell anyone else to do that. :whistle2:s

That said, Amazon has Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for $20, and both the vanilla and "Plus" versions of Sonic Mega Collection for the Cube, PS2, and Xbox are $13 each used at GameStop. If you have any interest in the other games on the disc, it's a better value to buy one of the compilations than to get the games a la carte.

Mega Collection Plus is on the 360's backwards compatibility list. And if you're worried about the lock-on features, Sonic Mega Collection has the lock-on versions of the Sonic games as unlockable extras.

[quote name='Skoad']It doesn't let you lock-in Sonic & Knuckles with either Sonic 2 or 3, though.

No online (even leaderboards) or lock-in was a pretty big disappointment. But I did the original Amazon trade-in deal and got it for $8, so I can't complain. 50 games for $20 is still a good value, as well. It's just Sega's reason for not having lock-in is bullcrap (not enough room, I believe was the excuse), as for 360 when you install it to the HDD it uses less than a gig.[/QUOTE]
Considering the amount of ways to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it's very easy to look over that as the big picture is, you're getting a fuck load of games for an amazing price. Especially when both Shining Force games and all four Phantasy Star games are packed in.

I know, I mentioned that it's a good overall value, their reasoning for not having lock-in is still disappointing. Though no online is even more disappointing. It's not a deal breaker or anything, just really lame that they decided to omit these features.

Anyway... I'm not going to get Sonic 2 on XBLA.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']This isn't a bad deal, but I already own this game for my Genesis (pack-in title, complete with "do not resell" warnings), GameCube/Wii (Mega Collection), and 360 (Ultimate Genesis Collection). Even for $3, I don't need to buy this game again, especially if the emulation is even the slightest bit suspect.

For what it's worth, Sonic 2 wasn't designed with Knuckles in mind. It's different, and arguably easier because of the glide and climb moves, but it isn't as much fun as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.[/QUOTE]
That's true-- the Sonic 2 end boss is pretty difficult with Knuckles lower jump ability, though.

bread's done
Back