Xbox DVD Drive

MrBrando

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
OK, my Xbox has been crapping out on me, I've heard of people getting read errors with the thompson and phillps but mine is a Samsung and it's not getting read errors it just won't open. I'll turn it on and it will light up but the screen will just be black and when I press the button to open it just flashes. Sometimes it does open but this is after trying for 20 mins. Is this the same peoblem most people have or am I just that lucky? Also what can I do to fix it? I didn't get an extended warranty because it was a present so I don't really wanna send it in to get fixed if it's gonna cost over $100. Thanks

Do a search and you'll probably find numerous topics covering this subject.

[quote name='MrBrando']OK, my Xbox has been crapping out on me, I've heard of people getting read errors with the thompson and phillps but mine is a Samsung and it's not getting read errors it just won't open. I'll turn it on and it will light up but the screen will just be black and when I press the button to open it just flashes. Sometimes it does open but this is after trying for 20 mins. Is this the same peoblem most people have or am I just that lucky? Also what can I do to fix it? I didn't get an extended warranty because it was a present so I don't really wanna send it in to get fixed if it's gonna cost over $100. Thanks[/quote]

when did you get it? you can say that you want to buy one now (has to be purchased within a year) or you can say you got it as a present or off ebay.

[quote name='Rozz']Do a search and you'll probably find numerous topics covering this subject.[/quote]

I did but couldn't find anything like my problem

[quote name='help1']when did you get it? you can say that you want to buy one now (has to be purchased within a year) or you can say you got it as a present or off ebay.[/quote]

I got it, not this christmas but the christmas before that. Who would I tell this too?

Your best bet is to call Microsoft and hope they're in a good mood.

Otherwise you might as well just buy a new or refurbed Xbox.

Mine was doing the same exact thing before X-mas but it was a Thomson. It wouldn't open unless I jammed the paperclip in the little hole and even that didn't work all the time. If the game that's in there works fine, but you can't get it to open, it's either the motor that opens the drive is shot or the alignment of the drive tray is messed up.

Check out this website for more info on DVD Drive repair:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

I ended up just replacing my Thomson drive and bought a new one on ebay for $45 including shipping. I just ripped the old one out and put in the replacement drive. The dilemma for you is the cost of a replacement Samsung DVD Drive for the Xbox runs between $60 and $90 on e-bay, so you need to make a decision on whether you want to try to fix this one or get a new (or refurb) Xbox.

You could always sell your broken Xbox for at least $50 (that llama guy buys them for this amount) or roll the dice and try to trade it into EBgames with 2 games for the $100 credit and put it toward a new Xbox.

bread's done
Back