Xbox Elite,Avatar and 42 720p Panasonic Viera $699 bestbuy-Onine or Instore

romodome

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Stolen from Slickdeals. Seems like a good deal,

Live online!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...CategoryId=abcat0101001&id=pcmprd121500050002

42inch 720p Plasma Panasonic
Xbox 360 Elite w/ Pure +lego Batman
All for $699

Starting Sunday Dec. 6th, Best Buy will have a combo package of a 42" Panasonic 600hz 720p Plasma TV, Xbox 360 Elite (120gb hd), 2 games, and the new game Avatar all for only 699. The total savings according to BB is $410!! You can look at this however you want but the best way I saw it is to look at it as getting a nice TV for only $340! Please see attachment for ad scan.

Did a quick search, hopefully not a reprint. Slickdeals has an image of deal from ad so it looks legit. hopefully it will be online for some bing.com savings

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you play videogames on a Plasma? I was under the impression that it was a terrible idea because of the risk of burn in images....Someone clear this up for me...

Hmmmm. I may have to rethink buying a new LCD then and look at the Plasmas. I can get a much bigger tv for a lot less money if I go that route...

[quote name='jr233270']Can you play videogames on a Plasma? I was under the impression that it was a terrible idea because of the risk of burn in images....Someone clear this up for me...[/QUOTE]

Burn-in is pretty non-existent on new TVs. I have a 720p Viera HDTV and games look great on it. This is a really good deal.

as others have said, the burn-in issue is pretty much non existent nowadays...i chose plasma over lcd because of the motion blur on the LCD...plus i dont like the whole soap opera look of the new lcds....my opinion, but i did months of research, plasma is the way to go in my opinion...

for all the facts go to cnet and search for the plasma vs. lcd section, it has a good break down

edit: this is a great deal, im just sayin if u have the choice in a tv id go plasma, but still a great deal

I don't need a 42 inch plasma or another elite but this is a really nice deal.

Panasonics are the best deal for plasma tvs for the price. Sure, Pioneers make better plasma tvs but they cost way too much.

Wow, that's a great deal. I paid 3 times that for my 42" Sony LCD.. granted, it was 5 years ago. I'd jump all over that one if I didn't already have both a TV and a 360. Hell of a deal, hell of a deal.

The biggest problem with plasmas is that they use a lot more energy than LCDs.

Also, if you're going in for this, note that it's 720p and since most HD media plays at 1080p and others will eventually move up to that resolution, you may want to reconsider so you get your money's worth in the long term.

Don't want to turn this into a 720 vs 1080 debate. But having the 50 inch panasonic plasma tv in my room compared to a 1080 plasma in my living room, it's virtually indistinguishable.

1080p's are still going for roughly 300-400 more for the same size and brand than their 720p counterparts.

The jump from 720p to 1080p is going to be quite noticeable on a 42. I say it's comparable to a jump from 480 to 720 on a 32 inch LCD. Might not be a big deal for some, but you won't get the level of detail on some beautifully rendered games that output at 1080p on a 720p 42 inch TV. Just my two cents.

Nonethless, this is a very good deal. $700 for a 360 ($300) and Avatar ($50-60) means a high def television for ~$350. Not that great of a deal for me however (9.xx% CA tax + $16 recycling fee..). Boo-urns California.

I bet if you do more reading you"ll find if you are 5+ feet away you cant even tell the difference. Besides most games don't actually run at 1080p anyway they are upscaled by the consoles.

Playing video games for hours on end with no break to watch other stuff with high contrast settings can still cause burn-in, especially on a new TV. If you're willing to be just a little bit careful it's basically a non-issue. IMO, the trade-off is worth it, but a lot of the whole debate comes down to personal preference. If you really want to get obsessed about burn-in, check out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

With regards to power consumption, you are looking at 100-200W more than a comparable LCD, mostly depending on how bright you like your screen. Generally the 100W figure is probably more realistic. So if you average 5 hours of TV/games a day that's like $2-5 a month in electricity. Which, if you like plasmas more is totally worth it.

A few weeks back Wal-Mart, yes Wal-Mart of all places had the 46" 1080p Viera for $788 and I use it with my PS3 and 360 and they both look great. We used to have a 32" 720p LCD and this is so much better. Some stores may still have it. Here is a link, you'll have to call your Wal-Mart to see. I couldn't find this TV cheaper than $1,000 at the time of purchase.

Hmmm, I bought this EXACT tv shortly before black friday and am wondering if Best Buy will give me an adjustment on it. I paid 599 for it. Anyone think I should give it a try?

As for plasma's additional energy usage, I heard it was only 33% more?

[quote name='romodome']

Starting Sunday Dec. 6th, Best Buy will have a combo package of a 42" Panasonic 600hz 720p Plasma TV, Xbox 360 Elite (120gb hd), 2 games, and the new game Avatar all for only 699. [/QUOTE]

600hz??? Super Future TV?

[quote name='LoveLost']600hz??? Super Future TV?[/QUOTE]

Plasma's have a much better refresh rate that LCDs. I think the highest LCDs go is 240 and that's for a LED LCD. So no not a future TV, just your average plasma.

[quote name='jr233270']Can you play videogames on a Plasma? I was under the impression that it was a terrible idea because of the risk of burn in images....Someone clear this up for me...[/QUOTE]

I play games on my Panny plasma weekly and for long periods of time......

Looking for 46+ inch deal with a 360, but this is so close. Everyone needs 3 360s right? I am thinking about the 46 inch Sony with a Playstation but I am just not sure if I really want a PS3. If any of you guys have a 360 and a PS3, do you really need both? Any thoughts?

This is a good deal. The lowest Dell had this TC was for 479.00 with free shipping +tax.
The TV is 1024 x 768. That is fine with me since most games are barely native 720p. Many are in the 600p range or so. Less upscaling means less lag.

I have a Samsung plasma that I ONLY use for gaming and I have not had any burn in issues. You want to use 'break in' settings that you can find by SEARCHING on avsforums.com. before going crazy with the games. You may end up with some ghosting but that goes away once you change the material.

I have this exact tv and love it I use it only for gaming and blu-ray and have never had a single issue with it. Most people I show it to can't even believe it's only 720p

[quote name='GunsGermsSteel']The biggest problem with plasmas is that they use a lot more energy than LCDs.

Also, if you're going in for this, note that it's 720p and since most HD media plays at 1080p and others will eventually move up to that resolution, you may want to reconsider so you get your money's worth in the long term.[/QUOTE]

the Panasonic 720P TC-P42X1 that is part of this Best Buy sale doesn't really use that much energy. It uses less energy than the 1080P 42S1. Also, I wouldn't say you are getting the XBox for "free," but it is pretty close. You can currently find the HDTV for under $620 to $679 from a few vendors. This is a pretty big HDTV, though, and I am not all that confident in online vendors fulfilling the order (better to deal with Best Buy in this case, if you ask me -- especially with all the goodies you get). I believe Best Buy had the TC-P42C1 for $499.99 about a month ago, but the X1's 30,000:1 static contrast ratio is much better than the C1's 15,000:1 static contrast ratio.

I like how plasma has that gritty, rich colors (in my opinion) compared to lcd's clean, crisp colors. Overall I don't want to worry about burn ins nor worry about breaking in the tv.

[quote name='bcb4589']why is the tv bad? I would like to hear some opinions on it[/QUOTE]

I have the 42" Panasonic TH-42PX-60. It had the best black levels at the time (late 2006) -- this was pre-Pioneer Kuro (which I think is hyped just a little bit too much -- it's definitely not worth paying 2-3 times more if you ask me). If you sit 10 feet away from your HDTV (actually probably more than 6 feet away is all you need to go), you are not going to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.

[quote name='DoriftoShoes']plasmas havent had burn in issues in a long time...[/QUOTE]

There are several precautions you can take in the first 100 hours of use to avoid burn in. Then after that you'll be fine, so long as you don't leave games paused for 10 hours.

Also Plasma Viera's have a reputation of being the best HDTVs you can buy for < $1000. I bought a plasma 1080p 42" viera and have no regrets. My friend's have an older version of this TV and it looks great too.

The last plasma I owned looked amazing but suffered burn-in and eventually ended up breaking. I'm not saying it will happen with this HDTV, but ever since then I have been staying away from plasmas. Who ever buys this will not be disappointed. There's just something about plasmas that make it look so much better than an LCD HDTV. In my experience, plasmas are also better at handling SD too. Too bad it isn't 1080p.

the amount of misinformation on plasmas and the differences in 1080p and 720p are amazing.

first plasmas dont use much more power on average. you people act like were comparing a prius to a big rig.

second, the only time any difference in resolution will be noticed between 720p and 1080p is during blu ray viewing. with good eyesight youre going to struggle to see even that at normal, "living room" viewing distances.

I really doubt the vast majority of peopel making these comments have any personal experience at all.

[quote name='paz9x']the amount of misinformation on plasmas and the differences in 1080p and 720p are amazing.

first plasmas dont use much more power on average. you people act like were comparing a prius to a big rig.

second, the only time any difference in resolution will be noticed between 720p and 1080p is during blu ray viewing. with good eyesight youre going to struggle to see even that at normal, "living room" viewing distances.

I really doubt the vast majority of peopel making these comments have any personal experience at all.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. I was reading the other day where it said they have proven that on tv's less than 42 inches the differences between 720p and 1080p are indistinguishable to the human eye. I own both a plasma and an LCD, and I must say I give my plasma the edge. No burn in issues on newer ones and the refresh rate is way better.

You'll be able to see a visible difference in regards to contrast ratio and refresh rate much more easily than 1080p vs 720p.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']so worth while?[/QUOTE]

Well, if i were you i'd get the neo-pdp 1080p panels with their S/G series. That would be a major upgrade. Still a pretty solid upgrade as they say, size+better PQ wise. +free xbox which you could sell I suppose.

As was said before, this TV is 720p which makes it fairly obsolete. You're going to see a ton of tempting deals like this on 720p TVs over the next year or so as stores try to get rid of their stock. I don't think many major manufacturers make them anymore as 1080p has come down in price. If you really don't care about picture quality (you're buying an HDTV so that would be odd) then this is a good deal i guess, but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't understand why everyone was going crazy over 720p TVs on black friday. My guess would be consumers who didn't know the difference.

Plasma was surpassed a few years ago by LCD as the most popular and now Plasma is pretty much going out of style, which is why you are seeing deals on Plasma tv's. It's a dying breed, so to speak. I would never buy a Plasma unless they were like DIRT cheap.

[quote name='jaynatch']As was said before, this TV is 720p which makes it fairly obsolete. You're going to see a ton of tempting deals like this on 720p TVs over the next year or so as stores try to get rid of their stock. I don't think many major manufacturers make them anymore as 1080p has come down in price. If you really don't care about picture quality (you're buying an HDTV so that would be odd) then this is a good deal i guess, but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't understand why everyone was going crazy over 720p TVs on black friday. My guess would be consumers who didn't know the difference.[/QUOTE]

Well, outside of a very large screen (48" or bigger) you won't be able to distinguish 720p from 1080p. Most games don't run at 1080p and satellite and cable tv and local digital broadcasts run at 720p or 1080i. 1080p is pretty over-rated and under utilized.. IMO.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Well, outside of a very large screen (48" or bigger) you won't be able to distinguish 720p from 1080p. Most games don't run at 1080p and satellite and cable tv and local digital broadcasts run at 720p or 1080i. 1080p is pretty over-rated and under utilized.. IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the difference between 1080i and 1080p is tiny. But as someone who has a bluray player, and cable tv at 1080i, having all those pixels makes a huge difference. I can certainly see the difference on any TV between 720 and 1080 but I guess that really depends on how close you're sitting. I just don't really see the point in investing large amounts of money in a transitory technology, everything is obviously going to be 1080 going forward.

bread's done
Back