Xbox Elite,Avatar and 42 720p Panasonic Viera $699 bestbuy-Onine or Instore

romodome

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Stolen from Slickdeals. Seems like a good deal,

Live online!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...CategoryId=abcat0101001&id=pcmprd121500050002

42inch 720p Plasma Panasonic
Xbox 360 Elite w/ Pure +lego Batman
All for $699

Starting Sunday Dec. 6th, Best Buy will have a combo package of a 42" Panasonic 600hz 720p Plasma TV, Xbox 360 Elite (120gb hd), 2 games, and the new game Avatar all for only 699. The total savings according to BB is $410!! You can look at this however you want but the best way I saw it is to look at it as getting a nice TV for only $340! Please see attachment for ad scan.

Did a quick search, hopefully not a reprint. Slickdeals has an image of deal from ad so it looks legit. hopefully it will be online for some bing.com savings

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Xfactor19990']i must say im not impressed with this TV

Any ideas why? It just seems dark, bland nothing-My old AQUOS was vivid, and the colors seemed to pop! This is just meh[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this TV does not do well on the show floor.

I did some research and it's more about lcd vs plasma. Basically, LCD will always be brighter and when you have a plasma next to it, it'll always look dim. But the reality is, that LCDs are in torch mode on the showfloor and plasmas are bright enough in a normal living room, after calibration. Plasmas are supposed to shine when you take it home and calibrate it properly.

I never owned LCD or plasma before, but since plasma is closer to LCD, due to better blacks and less "digital" image, I jumped on the deal. But I agree, it's a bit of a leap of faith when you go to the store and it doesn't look that good compared to the LCD's ... I didn't hook it up yet, so I can give my opinion.

well whats a good config for it i need help, i agree the tv now that i have gamed on it looks nice in motion, but like when browsing the menu on 360 the squares kinda look jagged, regardless it still looks dim, but i was on a Sharp Aquos Gaming series, so maybe this is cheaper?

You could always return the tv if it doesn't please you, correct? No questions asked for 30 days? THat is, if you didn't open the 360 or the game...

Would this tv be good for using as a computer monitor also? I need something to use for directv, 360 and pc display. I see this tv doesn't have a PC video input like a LCD but does have S-Video. I'm currently using a regular old non hd tv with a S-Video input hooked to the pc and the text is rather small unless i zoom in and only has 2 resolution to pick from. I've always figured it was because it's just a regular old tv, so any help would be great as I'm thinking of picking this up.

a Plasma 42 inch for 400 or even 300 isnt bad.
That elite goes for 300 being the lowest.
So you are buying that 42 inch plasma for 400 dollars

I dont know much about plasmas but my friend once told me that a Plasma picture quality is better on a dark room with no sunlight.
A living room is usually sunny and well...living.
I then started doing research on lcds when i bought my 46 samsung and i read a small portion of an article that they indeed need to be in a dark room. I also found out that LCD's never had this problem.

As far as brand quality tvs, i know one thing. On the LCD field, Samsung, Sharp Aquos, and Sony are the top players. They offer the best quality, Samsung being the highest.
I am really not sure about the Plasma side of the field. I am guessing it goes the same way, Samsung,Sony, and Sharp Aquos.

Really, is up to you. Go do some research on your own and see and learn more about plasmas. i am not interested in them, and i cant tell you if it is good quality or even a deal, but it really doesnt sound bad.

Haha i also forgot about that Avatar game. well what do i know..? 50 dollars off or even 60 since it is new.

Considering Sony and Sharp don't even make plasmas, they are hardly the best for plasma televisions. Panasonic and formerly Pioneer make the best plasmas. If you are on a budget, this TV is quite good.

[quote name='cRodz']a Plasma 42 inch for 400 or even 300 isnt bad.
That elite goes for 300 being the lowest.
So you are buying that 42 inch plasma for 400 dollars

I dont know much about plasmas but my friend once told me that a Plasma picture quality is better on a dark room with no sunlight.
A living room is usually sunny and well...living.
I then started doing research on lcds when i bought my 46 samsung and i read a small portion of an article that they indeed need to be in a dark room. I also found out that LCD's never had this problem.

As far as brand quality tvs, i know one thing. On the LCD field, Samsung, Sharp Aquos, and Sony are the top players. They offer the best quality, Samsung being the highest.
I am really not sure about the Plasma side of the field. I am guessing it goes the same way, Samsung,Sony, and Sharp Aquos.

Really, is up to you. Go do some research on your own and see and learn more about plasmas. i am not interested in them, and i cant tell you if it is good quality or even a deal, but it really doesnt sound bad.

Haha i also forgot about that Avatar game. well what do i know..? 50 dollars off or even 60 since it is new.[/QUOTE]
The deal gets much sweeter if you use the kroger gift card deals, plus bing cashaback and the xbox live card for $10. It's much lower than $400 if you account all this.

Would this tv be good for using as a computer monitor also?
If it'll be the main use, then no. It has 1024x768 resolution with rectangular pixels. Good enough for light web browsing, but not much more than that.

Panasonic plasmas are the way to go. When I bought mine last year, I compared it side by side with Sony, Sharp, and Samsung LCD's, and even the ones that were $300-400 more didn't looks as good to my eyes. The contrast ratio is unmatched. Games look spectacular! The first time I played RE5, I wanted to cry...it was so beautiful.

There are a few minor things to consider though:
1) There is still a slight chance of burn in. For the first 100 hours, I played no games, and only watched 16:9 movies and programming with no logos just be sure. You probably don't have to, but better safe than sorry.
2) Supposedly they consume more power, but I haven't noticed an increase in my electricity bill since replacing an old projection TV with the plasma.
3) There are glare issues if your TV is in a bright room. My living room is dark, so no issues for me.

This is a great deal for anyone in the market for a new TV and a 360, or just a new TV (sell the 360).

[quote name='aheineken']Panasonic plasmas are the way to go. When I bought mine last year, I compared it side by side with Sony, Sharp, and Samsung LCD's, and even the ones that were $300-400 more didn't looks as good to my eyes. The contrast ratio is unmatched. Games look spectacular! The first time I played RE5, I wanted to cry...it was so beautiful.

There are a few minor things to consider though:
1) There is still a slight chance of burn in. For the first 100 hours, I played no games, and only watched 16:9 movies and programming with no logos just be sure. You probably don't have to, but better safe than sorry.
2) Supposedly they consume more power, but I haven't noticed an increase in my electricity bill since replacing an old projection TV with the plasma.
3) There are glare issues if your TV is in a bright room. My living room is dark, so no issues for me.

This is a great deal for anyone in the market for a new TV and a 360, or just a new TV (sell the 360).[/QUOTE]

So I have to break in my TV over the span of a four day period and live in a cave while I'm at it?

Doesn't sound like fun.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']what is kroger deals? I know bing i used it haah[/QUOTE]
You can get $100 best buy gift cards at kroger for $90 each. I got 5 of them to pay for this bundle, so got a $50 discount. I tried to get 2 more on a different kroger, but got denied. You need to have a kroger card and that's how they noticed that I had already bought 5 ... But on slickdeals, some people got 7 at the same store and others were able to get 5 at one store and 2 at another store. 5 is guaranteed, more than that it's YMMV. Oh and the bad part of using the gift cards, is if you decide to return the tv for whatever reason, your money will go back to the gift cards and you might be stuck with them, since kroger will not take them back. It should be really easy to sell them on ebay without any loss though.

so it takes 120 Hours to burn in a tv? Damn thats a long time
Yeah, quite a long time! I'll start doing it today, but I'm not sure if I'll go the whole 120 hours ...

But I'm doing it more to get better picture quality, to guarantee that all pixels age the same way, not to prevent burn in.
1) I think burn in is a minor issue that you can easily avoid with a bit of common sense.
2) From what I read on avs, the x1 720p models don't consume much power over LCDs.
3) I'm a bit worried about this, but all I read says that the anti-reflective coating does a very good job and it's actually better than most LCD's in that respect. Plus, I'm coming from a CRT rear projection, so it'll be an improvement no matter what.

[quote name='LoveLost']600hz??? Super Future TV?[/QUOTE]

The 600hz is measuring something different than 120/240hz on an LCD. 600hz is measuring the sub field drive.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']haha anyone know if i can go back get credit and then pay withgift cards?[/QUOTE]
ive done similar stuff in the past.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']o ya and does anyone know can i just return the 360 etc and get money taken off?[/QUOTE]

i doubt it. it depends on how they handle the deductions. maybe someone who has gotten the deal can check their receipt and let us know how the pricing breaks down.

If you added everything separetly to your cart, to get the $10 xbox live card, the tv shows as $339, the xbox as $300, game as $60 and live card as $10.

But with bundles, you usually have to pay the difference when you're returning one of the items.

Does anyone know when this is expiring? I'll be headed over Wed to get the deal, TV is for a relative who needed one anyway. Very cool.

EDIT: May have answered own question. OP link now goes to a dead page where it worked last night. Might call store later and check. Boo.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back