Xbox K.O.

Toireht

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
After 1-month of owning the green machine it has stopped working, coming up with the error code 21. I bought it off ebay and the guy supplied the orginal receipt but he bought it in January from ebgames.com and the Microsoft warranty only lasts 3-months. So question is, what is the cheapest way I can repair this without voiding my warranty?

If I remember correctly 21 is a general error- the Xbox isn't even sure what is wrong with itself. Did the guy you bought it from buy it as a used or reconditioned Xbox?

You're probably going to have to send it to Microsoft if you want to fix it. As long as the security stickers aren't tampered with, they will fix it for around $80.00.

Well I called and now I am paying $80 to get the system repaired and they will throw in a 1-year warranty, what is that shit, 60% of what the product originally cost to protect it for only a year. And they are making me pay shipping to ship their crap product to them. Only reason I am paying for this is because I spent around $140 on games and a Live sub. and don't want those to go to waste. This will be the last microsoft product I buy for a very, very long time. I have never heard of a 3-month warranty, that just screams "I don't stand behind the product I make", but I guess next time I will check and make sure the warranty is for a decent time frame and not assume its for atleast a year like most warranties.

When my cdrom broke on my mac, all I did was call apple, tell them the problem they sent me a new one right away. They included instructions on how to install and the tools to do so. After I was done I had to send the broken one back in the box they sent it in call DHL and DHL came the next day to pick it up and I never payed a cent.

[quote name='Toireht']Well I called and now I am paying $80 to get the system repaired and they will throw in a 1-year warranty, what is that shit, 60% of what the product originally cost to protect it for only a year. And they are making me pay shipping to ship their crap product to them. Only reason I am paying for this is because I spent around $140 on games and a Live sub. and don't want those to go to waste. This will be the last microsoft product I buy for a very, very long time. I have never heard of a 3-month warranty, that just screams "I don't stand behind the product I make", but I guess next time I will check and make sure the warranty is for a decent time frame and not assume its for atleast a year like most warranties.

When my cdrom broke on my mac, all I did was call apple, tell them the problem they sent me a new one right away. They included instructions on how to install and the tools to do so. After I was done I had to send the broken one back in the box they sent it in call DHL and DHL came the next day to pick it up and I never payed a cent.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, to say you wouldn't buy another MS product for a while is kind of harsh, especially considering the variables. The seller on ebay could have lied and said he bought it new in January. This can be easily checked by looking at either the back or bottom of the Xbox, where I believe there is a manufacturing date on it. Another thing is it might have been messed up in shipping it. How was it shipped? And what did the packaging look like when it arrived to your place? Just consider those, along with a few other options as well. Sucks to hear about the problems you've had with the system; hopefully everything works out for you and you end up enjoying it and changing your mind about the 360.

The system worked fine for about a month, and it has a receipt from ebgames.com that states it was bought in january.

[quote name='Toireht']The system worked fine for about a month, and it has a receipt from ebgames.com that states it was bought in january.[/QUOTE]

I saw that you had said that, but the question I posed was did you check the system for the production date. It may very well be a faulty system that was new in January, in which case I'd tell you every company goes through bad systems during the life cycle of the system. Or it could be a system that was bought used in January. It all depends on the system itself, not the reciept.

[quote name='Toireht']Well I called and now I am paying $80 to get the system repaired and they will throw in a 1-year warranty, what is that shit, 60% of what the product originally cost to protect it for only a year. And they are making me pay shipping to ship their crap product to them. Only reason I am paying for this is because I spent around $140 on games and a Live sub. and don't want those to go to waste. This will be the last microsoft product I buy for a very, very long time. I have never heard of a 3-month warranty, that just screams "I don't stand behind the product I make", but I guess next time I will check and make sure the warranty is for a decent time frame and not assume its for atleast a year like most warranties.

When my cdrom broke on my mac, all I did was call apple, tell them the problem they sent me a new one right away. They included instructions on how to install and the tools to do so. After I was done I had to send the broken one back in the box they sent it in call DHL and DHL came the next day to pick it up and I never payed a cent.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better I've had my Xbox for well over a year and it works as well as it did the day I bought it.

Oh, and if Apple is so great why is it that there's HUGE problems with IPods crapping out and Apple not doing shit about it?

Look into selling it for 'parts' on eBay plus the cost of another (either new or refurbed)

You can probably upgrade to a brand new box for around $20-30 more than you'd pay MS to fix it (factoring in the shipping cost to send it to them.)

[quote name='mmn']If it makes you feel better I've had my Xbox for well over a year and it works as well as it did the day I bought it.

Oh, and if Apple is so great why is it that there's HUGE problems with IPods crapping out and Apple not doing shit about it?[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better I've had my Ipod for well over a year and it works as well as it did the day I bought it.

I am sure apple has bad CS just like every other company, but I guess it depends what your case is and who you get on the other line. I have recieved good CS from microsoft before, when I owned a Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2, it broke and they sent me a new one no questions asked. But the difference between these two is that the Joystick came with a 2-year warranty while the xbox only comes with a 3-month, I am more mad at the lame excuse of a warranty then the CS itself. But so far I havent recived any bad CS from apple but when I do you will probaly see me ranting here ;) .

You shouldn't have agreed to pay $80 for them to fix it. You should have asked to talk to a supervisor and told him you were a long time Microsoft customer but if Microsoft doesn't stand behind their products, you are done buying from their company.

It works like a charm.

[quote name='momadaboo']I dont understand. Why dont you just use the warrenty and get a new one? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

The warranty was only 3 months and is since expired.

The seller could have also had 2 xboxs: one older crapped out one (the one he sent you) and a newer one (the one he bought in January.) Maybe he sensed something was beginning to go wrong with it and decided to dump the old one on eBay, while sending the receipt of the newer system he bought. You have to be very careful about buying electronics from places like eBay where you can't see the product or the seller.

As for me, I have 2 Xboxes (one at home and one at work) that haven't given me any problems as of yet. You really shouldn't judge Microsoft the way you do from purchasing a used item because who knows what it has been through.

Dude, you bought it used... from someone you dont know.. Are you sure he wasnt punting it across the room before you bought it ? Seriously though they are giving you a 1 year warranty for your 80 bucks, much better than the 90 days you get from Sony...

[quote name='TJordan522']The warranty was only 3 months and is since expired.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but why is he concerned about voiding it then if it is already expired??? Did I miss something?

[quote name='momadaboo']Yeah but why is he concerned about voiding it then if it is already expired??? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

Nope--good question.

funny that people only JUST noticed that... haha... i went and read the original post and i have to agree... what is he worried about when the warranty is done...

bread's done
Back