XBox Live at college dorm?

Stargun007

CAGiversary!
I'm living in a dorm right now, and since the school controls the entire internet system, I can only have one computer hooked up to the internet. That one computer has to be registered with our IT services department. Since I have my laptop connected, I can't go online with my XBox. Can anyone think of a loophole to get around the system?

I already tried using a router, but since it was a different IP or something, I couldn't register it.

I am at college, and I too, am connected to their server. They won't allow us to use routers or hubs, so I had to install a few ethernet ports in the back of my PC to use my Xbox and PS2. If you have an extra ethernet connection in your laptop, you may be able to do this.

I'm in a dorm, and I just manualy input the IP, DCHP, and other addresses into the xbox after getting them off of my computer. I have to switch the cord everytime I play between my xbox and computer though, so Rig's rig sounds like something I might should look into.

I am actually able to get online with my xbox in two different ways. On our campus network's homepage, there is a little form to fill out with a game system's MAC address, etc. Once that form is submitted, it is a registered device on the network and can access the net. I was also able to register my router's ip instead of my computers, therefore letting me connect both at the same time. I would look into one of those two as well, there might be similar programs in place.

The last poster had the right idea. What you should do is register your router's MAC (media access control) address. Just tell them you got a new computer. Then you can connect everything to your router. Of course, if your school has specifically prohibited the use of things like hubs, switches or routers on the school network, then you're taking a chance here.

[quote name='thestuff']I'm in a dorm, and I just manualy input the IP, DCHP, and other addresses into the xbox after getting them off of my computer. I have to switch the cord everytime I play between my xbox and computer though, so Rig's rig sounds like something I might should look into.[/quote]

My way (sharing the connection between the PS2, Xbox, and computer) made it a lot easier. My computer only had one ethernet port, which was used to connect my computer to the Internet. I went to BB and picked up two more ethernet ports for around $20. I installed them myself, and the consoles share the connection, with no need for a router or hub. Our school doesn't allow routers/hubs, for virus protection. The only thing is that I must have my computer on while playing online with one of my systems.

My school (Texas A&M) prohibits the use of routers in the dorms, and have recently have become very strict about net access. I wish I could do something like a router here, so I could keep my computer on the net at the same time I play live. So, yeah, Im certainly going to check out the extra ethernet ports deal...

[quote name='thestuff']I'm in a dorm, and I just manualy input the IP, DCHP, and other addresses into the xbox after getting them off of my computer. I have to switch the cord everytime I play between my xbox and computer though, so Rig's rig sounds like something I might should look into.[/quote]

How can I find all of these things? This sounds like the easiest way.

I also don't think my school will allow routers. Is there any external method to get more than one ethernet port? I really don't feel like opening (and fucking) up my laptop.

Ok here's what you do, the one guy talking about MAC adresses has the right idea but with a little change. Your XBox actually has a built in MAC adresses masking application. So all you have to do is find out the MAC address that you have registered (that will be your laptop's MAC address) then just go into your XBox's main menu, pick settings, then pick network settings, then pick advanced, from there you will see a spot to enter any MAC address.

Now as far as finding your computer's MAC address use this link, it will walk you through it no matter what OS your using http://www-dcg.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

I know from personal experience that this should work because I had to do it last year. They usually don't like this kind of activity because they limit you to one MAC address for a reason but what they don't know won't hurt them.

As far as having to plug and unplug it all the time, there's really no way around it without buying a router. They don't make any splitter or anything like you could jsut use with a phone cord.

I just configured the IP address, subnet, and gateway to the same as my laptop, and it works now! Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll see you on Live (my Gamertag is RFX007, for anyone interested in a R63 or Crimson Skies match).

The problem at my school is that anything attempting to connect to the internet on the campus network has to click "I Agree" to a site that shows up. Unless I mod my xbox, I don't see how to get it to connect on.

Storamin- do you have to do that every time? In my school, you only go through that process once. Since I did it once on my laptop, I was able to just play around with the XBox.

I had to cancel Xbox Live because I would not be able to get it to work at college, because of the same problems as everyone else. I didn't really want to spend any money trying to get it to work somehow, so I just canceled since I was starting to rarely go online. I still go on PS2 online, but when I'm at home.

Did you get that one shot, I forgot what it was, it was $100 but it immuned you from a rare but serious disease that is most commonly found in college dorms. I'm serious about this, I forgot what happens, but my mom is a nurse and said it is horrible... Dunno I will post details later.

Way to go off topic. But yes, I did get the meningitis shot. Extremely rare, but the week I moved in there was actually a death at my school from some illness, and rumor is that was it.

[quote name='Stargun007']Storamin- do you have to do that every time? In my school, you only go through that process once. Since I did it once on my laptop, I was able to just play around with the XBox.[/quote]
Unfourtunately, every different device has to agree to it. You only have to do it once per device. I did it with my laptop, and hooked up my xbox but no go. Also, my college restricts packets unless it's a mail server route. :(

That sounds like my school, except for the packets thing. Can you not access any sites other than your school's, then? I highly suggest trying what I did with the IP/Subnet/Gateway addresses. It takes 10 seconds, and it's definitely worth a shot.

I managed to get my PS2 connected, but when playing Burnout 3, the connection timed out every time I tried to join a race. Anybody else have this problem? I'm wondering if it's my connection or EA's servers.

How long ago did you try it? I vaguely remember hearing something about EA having unstable servers when the game launched, so it may be fixed by now.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, I think the problem with the servers was only for the XBox version. Either way, if you tried it at launch, it might be worth another shot today.

bread's done
Back