Xbox Live Deal of the Week - Force Unleashed Jedi Temple mission - 400 MS pts

mkernan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (92%)
The Xbox Live deal of the week is the Jedi Temple mission add-on for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Price is 400 MS points (normally 800 pts). In other words, its $5 instead of $10. Deal for gold members only. Discount applied today through Sunday the 26th.

Major Nelson's post about it:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009...force-unleashed-jedi-temple-mission-pack.aspx

Force Unleashed page on XBL marketplace:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024c4107d2

If I still had the game I might go for it, but I don't, so tough noogies. I didn't decide to pick it up when it dropped for one day to $19.89, so I'll pass on this. The Halo 3 map pack went free, after the 2nd one came out, but that happens fairly infrequently. Personally I wouldn't mind if a few arcade games dropped in price, as there are quite a few that I'd like to pick up. Didn't take advantage of Ikaruga only because I have the Gamecube version already, and it is by far superior to the 360 one. ;x

[quote name='mkernan']Gold members only. Are you gold?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I went through the 360 the old fashion way. Downloading now. I just need to re-learn this one, its been awhile.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Oh awesome! My 360 RROD'd....
I kinda wanted this too![/QUOTE]
You should be able to purchase it online and download it when you get your box back.

[quote name='jonathanp']I'm doing that, but I had owned the game and traded it a long time ago.

Anyone knows if Game Crazy is where I can find the lowest price on this game?[/QUOTE]

I bought this game at HWV last week during their $4.99 sale. The case didn't have the game in it, so the lady couldn't sell it to me. I went back the next day and this young guy grabbed a new one from the case and sold it to me for $4.99. So, the DLC and the game for $10 is a pretty solid deal. :bouncy:

[quote name='etcrane']Announcements about the newer DLC for Force Unleashed should show up this week, with the beginning of Comic Con ... might be worth holding off until they announce the new DLC, which judging by the achievements, sounds alot cooler than the DLC that's currently on sale ... just a thought[/QUOTE]
Thanks go to you and the other poster who mentioned this - I hadn't heard about the new DLC achievements being leaked until you guys talked about it in this thread. Now I'll finally get to replace my unsightly 1220... with an equally ugly 1345!

Why does LucasArts hate us OCD completionists? ;)

[quote name='mikejenks']That's why digital distribution is going to suck - has there been a single price drop on XBL Marketplace yet?[/QUOTE]
There has also been a select few non-XBLA stuff that's either seen a price cut or gone free such as the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six Vegas stuff. I do miss the days when Halo 2 map packs would go free after a set time period. Halo 3 map packs only see a slight price cut after an even longer time period.

Digital distribution isn't all doom and gloom. PSN and Steam seem to be pretty liberal when it comes to sales, unlike Xbox.

Hope it doesn't go free in response to newer DLC... Then I'd feel pretty gypped. But it's the kind of the thing that wouldn't surprise me.

[quote name='drock']I remember burning it for the Dreamcast and it was only about 130 MB at that point. I'm not surprised now that with compression on the 360 they can shrink it even further.[/QUOTE]

Huh? its 800 mb??????

Hrm . . . I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, it's the first DLC to go on sale since they started doing these "deal of the week" things that I don't already have, but for which I do have the game. On the other hand, I only played through the first two levels of the game when I got it, and since then it has sat on the shelf amongst all of my other backlog. While I do intend to play more of the game at some point, I'm honestly not sure I'd ever get around to playing the DLC.

How is the DLC integrated into the game? Do you have to get to some certain point in the game to be able to play it, or is it accessible from the time that you buy it?

[quote name='anthonyd46']Huh? its 800 mb??????[/QUOTE]
After it fills up the CD with lots of blank areas to increase speed in an attempt to control piracy, sure. An ISO is actually even smaller than I remember -- 20 MB.

[quote name='Thrinn']Digital distribution isn't all doom and gloom. PSN and Steam seem to be pretty liberal when it comes to sales, unlike Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just XBL in particular that sucks, I dunno.

Wombat has touched on it a few times in the CAGcasts, about passing up great DLC or arcade games because of their terrible value. Instead of thinking "Wow, this mission is $5 instead of $10!" like a lot of people in this thread, I think "$5 for this mission, or $5 for Rainbow Six Vegas 2?"

[quote name='Thrinn']Digital distribution isn't all doom and gloom. PSN and Steam seem to be pretty liberal when it comes to sales, unlike Xbox.[/QUOTE]

The PSN sales are nice when they happen, but I'd hardly call them "liberal". It's more like Sony decides to compress sales on several titles into one short period of time, rather than doing one title a week like Microsoft does. It still probably comes out about the same. If the sales were more regular, I might be more impressed with them, but they're not.

And, my current favorite example of why digital distribution sucks is in the PSN store . . . I paid $10.97 for a new UMD copy of Jeanne D'arc for the PSP. It's $22.99 as a download on PSN. Even if they do put it on sale at some point, I doubt it'll drop that much. For us as consumers (and especially as CAGs!), eliminating retailer competition and stocking from the pricing equation can only be a bad thing.

Well, this explains the price drop: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/SDCC_TFU_The_Ultimate_Sith_Edition_125225.asp

Apparently a new edition of TFU is coming out at the end of the year. It will include all previous downloadable content (including this pack), and an exclusive new level. Doesn't say how much it will retail for, but I'm guessing it'll start at the $30 price point.

I'll be waiting for that new stand-alone to drop below $20 to pick up all of the extra content.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Well, this explains the price drop: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/SDCC_TFU_The_Ultimate_Sith_Edition_125225.asp

Apparently a new edition of TFU is coming out at the end of the year. It will include all previous downloadable content (including this pack), and an exclusive new level. Doesn't say how much it will retail for, but I'm guessing it'll start at the $30 price point.

I'll be waiting for that new stand-alone to drop below $20 to pick up all of the extra content.[/QUOTE]

I was going to buy the DLC this morning, but found out about this Ultimate Edition. I may just keep my 400 points for something else and wait for this.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Well, this explains the price drop: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/SDCC_TFU_The_Ultimate_Sith_Edition_125225.asp

I'll be waiting for that new stand-alone to drop below $20 to pick up all of the extra content.[/QUOTE]fuck, I rarely fuckin buy DLC and this is what fuckin happens when I do. This shit of rereleasing a game with extra content ONLY available on the new version is really fuckin annoying especially when you had DLC already available so people buy the game and the DLC, enjoy the game and then you punish them for supporting your product by making them buy another copy for the full experience. At least I'm a CAG and I'll eventually know where to find the Sith edition for 5 or so as well. fuckin fuckheads.

Just buy the DLC and enjoy it. Don't reward Lucasarts for this double-dip by buying the new version. I'm sure it will be DLC at some point. Just rent the new version if you want to play it that badly.

[quote name='BIG5']I thought this game sucked. Why would you want to drop even more money to play it longer?[/QUOTE]Because the person willing to spend more money didn't think that the game sucked.

Cool thanks for the heads up! I really enjoyed The Force Unleashed, and after reading about this DLC on Gamefaqs I decided to pick it up. It sounds awesome, but it's only 45 minutes long or so.

The announcement of the exclusive level for a new edition has stopped me from buying this new content. I mean do people even think before they decide this stuff.

Who wants a new level for this game more than a year after it comes out? The people who bought it on day one and still own it.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Damn, Sith edition. I just bought the regular edition. WTF!?!?!?!?[/QUOTE]

same here. i am very upset about this. just bought it like 3 days ago, and the next day - bam! they announced the new edition.

why didn't XBL marketing planned their discounts better?

[quote name='basis']same here. i am very upset about this. just bought it like 3 days ago, and the next day - bam! they announced the new edition.

why didn't XBL marketing planned their discounts better?[/QUOTE]

It's in their best interest to offer a "deal" to you while still making money. In this case they made a lot of people bite on this deal because it was "50% off" and now they'll milk a re-release of this game with the added content. It's not like they were gonna offer this for 100 points to plan their discount better, that wouldn't be in their best interest after all.

[quote name='basis']same here. i am very upset about this. just bought it like 3 days ago, and the next day - bam! they announced the new edition.

why didn't XBL marketing planned their discounts better?[/QUOTE]

Because Microsoft and LucasArts are businesses, not charities.

Also, Major Nelson is laughing at us.

bread's done
Back