Xbox Live DOTW: The Maw plus DOTD: Battlefield 1943

[quote name='BingoBrown']Where's my free 2010 party hat? My 2010 glasses are getting lonely.[/QUOTE]

Lols, you might not have to wait that long.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yes, but the themes should all be free to begin with. That you normally have to pay for them is pretty ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

Games should be free then too. To hell with the people who worked hard on making themes, they don't deserve any sort of compensation. [/sarcasm]

If you can't afford to buy a theme for $1 - $2.50, you may need to start a new career.

Also, if you don't want what is offered, you CAN make your own standard themes with any picture you desire; so your point is pretty much non-existent.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Games should be free then too. To hell with the people who worked hard on making themes, they don't deserve any sort of compensation. [/sarcasm]

If you can't afford to buy a theme for $1 - $2.50, you may need to start a new career.

Also, if you don't want what is offered, you CAN make your own standard themes with any picture you desire; so your point is pretty much non-existent.[/QUOTE]

I can make a theme also and many people have done it on the PC. They are called desktop wallpapers. I haven't payed a dime for those. Plus many of them that I have are actually from developers themselves.

I am sorry, but I can't see why we should have to pay for these when we can get them everywhere else for free. And while it is true they have put work into making them. I want to know who asked them or wanted them to? When have we ever wanted them to make themes and charge people for them. If anything I am sure many people want to make their own themes (i now you can with the vision camera).

And if they want to charge for them then i refuse to pay until they have some type of preview feature on the Xbox.

I'm not complaining. Got some free glasses, a free theme, and a 400 Point Game that is really good. Then we have Shadow Complex on sale today as well AND What ever else they throw at us in that count down.

[quote name='Kaltic']I can make a theme also and many people have done it on the PC. They are called desktop wallpapers. I haven't payed a dime for those. Plus many of them that I have are actually from developers themselves.

I am sorry, but I can't see why we should have to pay for these when we can get them everywhere else for free. And while it is true they have put work into making them. I want to know who asked them or wanted them to? When have we ever wanted them to make themes and charge people for them. If anything I am sure many people want to make their own themes (i now you can with the vision camera).

And if they want to charge for them then i refuse to pay until they have some type of preview feature on the Xbox.[/QUOTE]

People have made games for free too.. they are called Flash Games.

..... see where this is going? The free argument can be used for everything. Really, people, are you that poor that you can't afford to buy something if you like it? Sheesh.

Just like anything else in the world, the themes are being made to... *gasp* make money. That's the point of everything; games, movies, food, electronics, cars, ect.; and themes are also a part of this giant circle of revenue. It brings in some extra money to help publishers and whoever else releases these to make a quick buck. If you don't want to support their efforts or works, then it's quite simple. Don't buy the theme.

There is no reason at all for them to be free. Not to mention, regardless of that fact, Microsoft still makes quite a few premium themes free from time to time, especially their special holiday ones, the 1 vs. 100 one, and a few others.

As I stated, you can even MAKE YOUR OWN themes on Xbox. You only need a computer, and it will recongize it, allowing you to stream a theme on to your 360. Simple. Easy. Free. There you go. That's your alternative to being a cheapskate and trying to justify spending $1 - $2.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']People have made games for free too.. they are called Flash Games.

..... see where this is going? The free argument can be used for everything. Really, people, are you that poor that you can't afford to buy something if you like it? Sheesh.

Just like anything else in the world, the themes are being made to... *gasp* make money. That's the point of everything; games, movies, food, electronics, cars, ect.; and themes are also a part of this giant circle of revenue. It brings in some extra money to help publishers and whoever else releases these to make a quick buck. If you don't want to support their efforts or works, then it's quite simple. Don't buy the theme.

There is no reason at all for them to be free. Not to mention, regardless of that fact, Microsoft still makes quite a few premium themes free from time to time, especially their special holiday ones, the 1 vs. 100 one, and a few others.

As I stated, you can even MAKE YOUR OWN themes on Xbox. You only need a computer, and it will recongize it, allowing you to stream a theme on to your 360. Simple. Easy. Free. There you go. That's your alternative to being a cheapskate and trying to justify spending $1 - $2.[/QUOTE]

How can tell if i like it if i am unable to see it? You can rent movies, games, and even books to test them out. Then you can see if you want to buy it. And I do play flash games (a lot more than i should) and I would gladly pay for many of them (they are so much better than most indie games..... so much better). Also confused how the flash games work into the arguement... I was comparing the exact same thing on two platforms, but beyond indie games (where the developer chooses how much to charge us and they can on PC too and some do....) I can't see what to compare flash games to that would make sense.

Also, saying "You don't have to buy it if you don't want to" isn't the point. Obviously I said I won't buy them unless they have a preview feature. The point is why do they charge here and not there. How come these cost money while they don't anywhere else? I am currently using a desktop wallpaper from Blizzard, but if it was on Xbox 360 it would cost $1 to $2. Why is that?

Ah yes, to make money. But then again why not charge on the PC? I am fine with companies charging money for things. That is how they stay in business (well if CEOs stopped raking in cash they could charge less, but oh well). But how about charging people and make sense with it? It is just like how the PS3 is getting a better version of Dante's Inferno for the same price as the Xbox 360. How does that even make sense? How does that even make sense when competing against God of War 3? If anything wouldn't they want to get MORE money by doing that with Xbox 360, which has no God of War?

All i want is this crap to make sense and right now it just doesn't. Because I am fine with being charged for pictures, DLC, and games. But when it doesn't make sense it bothers me.

Count me in with the group of people pissed about the free "premium" theme.

It's not the fact that it sucks that people are bitching about, it's the fact that MS labeled it something that it isn't. I know it's free and all, but people are still not being given what they were told. If someone gave you a FREE xbox 360 as a gift, would you honestly not be upset when you opened the box and found a used original xbox, and not the 360 that you were promised?

Yeah, I think you would. If someone tells you that you're getting something FREE, then they should give you what they told you. It doesn't matter that it's free or not. If it just said "free theme" I'd still think it sucks, but I wouldn't really be upset about it.

[quote name='Kaltic']How can tell if i like it if i am unable to see it? You can rent movies, games, and even books to test them out. Then you can see if you want to buy it. And I do play flash games (a lot more than i should) and I would gladly pay for many of them (they are so much better than most indie games..... so much better). Also confused how the flash games work into the arguement... I was comparing the exact same thing on two platforms, but beyond indie games (where the developer chooses how much to charge us and they can on PC too and some do....) I can't see what to compare flash games to that would make sense.

Also, saying "You don't have to buy it if you don't want to" isn't the point. Obviously I said I won't buy them unless they have a preview feature. The point is why do they charge here and not there. How come these cost money while they don't anywhere else? I am currently using a desktop wallpaper from Blizzard, but if it was on Xbox 360 it would cost $1 to $2. Why is that?

Ah yes, to make money. But then again why not charge on the PC? I am fine with companies charging money for things. That is how they stay in business (well if CEOs stopped raking in cash they could charge less, but oh well). But how about charging people and make sense with it? It is just like how the PS3 is getting a better version of Dante's Inferno for the same price as the Xbox 360. How does that even make sense? How does that even make sense when competing against God of War 3? If anything wouldn't they want to get MORE money by doing that with Xbox 360, which has no God of War?

All i want is this crap to make sense and right now it just doesn't. Because I am fine with being charged for pictures, DLC, and games. But when it doesn't make sense it bothers me.[/QUOTE]

Use a site like http://www.themexbox.com/, where people work on gathering all the themes on the marketplace for viewing. I agree, they do need a "preview" option, but ThemeXbox and YouTube are easy places to find what themes look like for the time being.

Being a flash game goes into the argument, because it's something you can play for free. Yet, no one gets compensated for it. They make it so people will enjoy it and have fun; where on the other-hand, companies are making premium themes to solely make money. They are not doing it for the enjoyment of others, they just want to make a quick buck, which is fine.

A PC is an uncontrolled environment. You can do anything with your PC. However, Microsoft has control over your 360. They dictate what you can do, and what you can't - where-as a PC, you are in-charge of every little detail. If you go and look at PC games compared to 360 games, you can easily see what I mean. PC games allow for you to edit and manipulate anything and everything about a game, since you have all the files at your disposal. However, on the 360, it's all locked on to a disc, you don't have any control over it at all (unless you hack it, which some people will do). The average person won't, though, so that's the whole issue there. It's all about what they can control.

As for Dante's Inferno, it was made from the ground-up on the PS3, so for a change, the X360 version is going to be the "port". God of War III isn't due out for quite some time, so those games mashing won't be an issue. That is why the PS3 version is getting the special treatment though, since that's what they started development on, and I'm sure Sony is paying them off a bit to get as many people as they can to buy it on the PS3 as opposed to the 360. Another business tactic, which happens with 90% of games.

[quote name='SpaceInsomniac']Count me in with the group of people pissed about the free "premium" theme.

It's not the fact that it sucks that people are bitching about, it's the fact that MS labeled it something that it isn't. I know it's free and all, but people are still not being given what they were told. If someone gave you a FREE xbox 360 as a gift, would you honestly not be upset when you opened the box and found a used original xbox, and not the 360 that you were promised?

Yeah, I think you would. If someone tells you that you're getting something FREE, then they should give you what they told you. It doesn't matter that it's free or not. If it just said "free theme" I'd still think it sucks, but I wouldn't really be upset about it.[/QUOTE]

It's apparently a glitch, since Major Nelson basically said so on his Twitter. It's supposed to be premium, but for some reason isn't. He sent word out to the Xbox Marketing Team awhile ago, but hasn't posted anything since. The "preview" image on the dashboard also shows "friends icons" and all that other stuff, so it's obviously a screw-up. I will admit, it's a but upsetting seeing "premium theme" and then getting a standard, but so-long as it's just a glitch and they fix it soon, then I'm fine with it.

[quote name='destro4eva']At what time today/tonight does Shadow Complex go on sale? Anyone?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
XBLA releases usually go up around 5am EST, but I'm not sure if the deals of the week go up around the same time as well.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']It's apparently a glitch, since Major Nelson basically said so on his Twitter. It's supposed to be premium, but for some reason isn't. He sent word out to the Xbox Marketing Team awhile ago, but hasn't posted anything since. The "preview" image on the dashboard also shows "friends icons" and all that other stuff, so it's obviously a screw-up. I will admit, it's a but upsetting seeing "premium theme" and then getting a standard, but so-long as it's just a glitch and they fix it soon, then I'm fine with it.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then I'm fine with it too. As long as my download counts towards the updated theme, I'm perfectly fine with waiting a bit. Mistakes happen.

While I bitched about the free glasses, I can't complain about the theme being a deal since it does normally cost money. However, it isn't the theme that was promised and no updates on when/if we will be getting the correct theme. So out of 3 days we've had 1 totally useless free item and the other two sale items were fucked up somewhere along the way and created issues for some (or isnt even the right thing). Glad to see MS is running a smooth holiday "sale"

Things I have learned from this thread .

People certainly have a false sense of entitlement .
Free is apparently not good enough.
Bitching is all the rage .
Some people know everything about everything and are not afraid to tell you they do .
Humanity has failed .

[quote name='whywakeup']Things I have learned from this thread .

People certainly have a false sense of entitlement .
Free is apparently not good enough.
Bitching is all the rage .
Some people know everything about everything and are not afraid to tell you they do .
Humanity has failed .[/QUOTE]

Also:

People overreact about other people complaining on an internet forum .

So, did Microsoft make this Indie game or did they volunteer the price cut? I'm just wondering since if I was the developer I'd like some know ahead about cutting the price on my game.

[quote name='Shady3011']So, did Microsoft make this Indie game or did they volunteer the price cut? I'm just wondering since if I was the developer I'd like some know ahead about cutting the price on my game.[/QUOTE]

they didn't make it but Microsoft sure as hell has been promoting Baker's Crest games quite a bit the last year or so

The Major probably tweeted this deal a little too early. Price changes occur around 2AM Pacific as with the rest of Marketplace updates.

I understand why Microsoft charges for themes, what I don't understand is why people pay for them considering that 99% of them are just advertisements for a game or product that turns your tv into a billboard/advertisement. It's fine to get a free theme, but I think should be free anyways. I will pay for content that has real value, but paying $2 for a desktop wallpaper when some actual games are $5 doesn't come across as a value. It's the unfortunate price people have to pay for a closed system, where you can't just browse free user made themes right next to the for pay themes.

Thanks for replying NoDak and Shady3011.. I kind of let it slip y mind that MajorNelson he tweeted "I'll be posting tomorrow's deal around 9a ET/6a PT/1400 GMT. 1:25 AM Dec 20th from Tweetie" yesterday

[quote name='fart_bubble']the game is quite a bit of fun (it's pretty much a re-release of Easy Golf with avatar support and a couple of tweaks). Meat of the game is the course editor and it has the community support to make creating and downloading courses worth it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Thought I'd be lame for getting it but I'm making up for that by purchasing DOTW lol

I'm sure it's cool and all for those that dig Golf, I'm just not a golf guy. My other issuse is the fact that it is a Indie game. Since I can't play those games offline I can't support buying them.

Bah >_>, kinda of dumb of microsoft to price drop on Indie Games, they are already cheap enough, hoping for a decent sale on some good DLC or a Game on Demand

Themes like new years day should be free, even if its only to gold members. I have the christmas 2008 theme that was for free and its great, im using it now. Microsoft should release more free holiday themes for gold members.

Also all avatar items that arent game or brand related should be free too. Again maybe only to gold members....a way to get people to pay for a gold account. If not then charge them the 1.00 for a shirt and etc.

Just saying there can be a way to please your paying fans, and not scam them for every penny they have. Sure you dont have to buy it, but MS dont have to charge for everything either.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Avatar Golf for 200 points is today's deal. Really fun game, worth the money[/QUOTE]

It's kind of like a low rent Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf, but with avatars. I'll probably pass since I have several versions of each of those, but it's a pretty fun game and probably the most useful thing you can do with your avatar.

It's also really nice to see Microsoft including Indie Games in this promotion. Now they just need to let us have Achievements, even if it's capped at like 10 GS/game.

[quote name='hpv']It's kind of like a low rent Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf, but with avatars. I'll probably pass since I have several versions of each of those, but it's a pretty fun game and probably the most useful thing you can do with your avatar.

It's also really nice to see Microsoft including Indie Games in this promotion. Now they just need to let us have Achievements, even if it's capped at like 10 GS/game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i always thought Indie Games should have some sort of achievments, or maybe even Avatar Awards. Thats the main reason i dont buy them (Excluding a select few which were just amazing games)

Avatar Golf, if you go to the indie games channel, shows up for 160 points ($2). It's not up on the New Years countdown yet...so do you think Major got the price wrong or are they going to increase it for the deal?

Also, Shadow Complex is 800 points now.

Side Note:
I really enjoy some of the indie games and the lack of achievements do not bother me. It's the fact you must be connected to xbox live to play them that kills the deal. I hate that I cannot buy, for instance, Avatar Golf for my sports nut of a nephew because his parents will not allow him to keep his console connected to the internet. Oh, well, it doesn't affect me directly.

How is the course sharing in Avatar Golf? Is it like Trials HD where they have to be on your friends list or is it like a marketplace of courses?

EDIT: Yay I am finally a CAG Veteran

Last edited by a moderator:
The creator of Avatar Golf/Easy Golf posts quite a bit at neogaf and seems like a swell fellow. Not sure how much this will sell today but good for Barker's Crest! I'm sure he's pleased to see his game as a deal (unless its just a price drop?).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='m3talst0rm']Also, Shadow Complex is 800 points now.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, it isn't. The product page lists 800 points, but the checkout page lists 1200 points. So be careful not to purchase it accidentally at 1200 points. Hope they're aware of this and able to resolve it in a timely manner.

[quote name='Mysterio']Not yet, it isn't. The product page lists 800 points, but the checkout page lists 1200 points. So be careful not to purchase it accidentally at 1200 points. Hope they're aware of this and able to resolve it in a timely manner.[/QUOTE]

When I got it, it only took 800 points

[quote name='Kaltic']When I got it, it only took 800 points[/QUOTE]

Did you purchase it on the 360 or on the website? If on the website, did the checkout page list 800 or 1200 points before you confirmed your purchase?

[quote name='Mysterio']Did you purchase it on the 360 or on the website? If on the website, did the checkout page list 800 or 1200 points before you confirmed your purchase?[/QUOTE]

I got it off the 360. I didn't even pay attention to what it said at checkout, but I can confirm it only took 800.

So if it is saying 1200 for you then just wait. You have all day for them to make sure it is 800.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Themes like new years day should be free, even if its only to gold members. I have the christmas 2008 theme that was for free and its great, im using it now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. That was probably the best freebie they've released in the theme category.

I've sort of wanted Avatar Golf for a while so this is as good a time as any to pull the trigger.

[quote name='Mysterio']Not yet, it isn't. The product page lists 800 points, but the checkout page lists 1200 points. So be careful not to purchase it accidentally at 1200 points. Hope they're aware of this and able to resolve it in a timely manner.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead, but when I looked it up on the 360 it showed 800 points and then when I went to confirm purchase it said 800 points, so I thought it was safe to say that it was 800 points.

I didn't buy it cause I'm going to wait cause I only have about $15 worth of points and I'm not going to make it anywhere to buy points for a few days...I don't want to screw myself out of a good dotd.

Edit: So, does avatar golf say 160 or 200 ms points? I bought it at 160 earlier and now the Daily Deals thing says you can have it for half price (200 points). Just wondering.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Edit: So, does avatar golf say 160 or 200 ms points? I bought it at 160 earlier and now the Daily Deals thing says you can have it for half price (200 points). Just wondering.[/QUOTE]
The promo says it's 200, but they have it priced for 160, so possibly a mistake. You can use the left over 40 points to pick up the 2010 glasses for anyone that missed it!

bread's done
Back