Xbox Live going crazy? EDIT: I was HACKED

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just got logged out of my Xbox and now it is asking me for a password to log back in which has never happened. I also can't get to Xbox.com through my Internet connection. What is going on???

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed my password through windows live. Points are missing from my account and the last game played was FIFA 2012 which I do not own and have never played. Can I call MS and get my points back??? What the hell is this shit? My password is unguessable (random symbols, numbers and letters) so this is a total breach on their end.

I started with 3000 points in my account and when i got kicked out I changed my password once and got back in and only had 1300 points left. Then a minute later I was booted again and when I changed my password a second time I was down to 30 points in my account. I'm so pissed.

Uh oh, yeah you've been hacked.

Fifa 12 is definitely the telling sign because the hackers buy coins for Fifa Ultimate team with hacked accounts. They sell the hacked account login info on various sites around the internet. The person that buys it then has access to a (stolen) loaded account with thousands of Fifa 12 coins.

[quote name='Javery']I changed my password through windows live. Points are missing from my account and the last game played was FIFA 2012 which I do not own and have never played. Can I call MS and get my points back??? What the hell is this shit? My password is unguessable (random symbols, numbers and letters) so this is a total breach on their end.

I started with 3000 points in my account and when i got kicked out I changed my password once and got back in and only had 1300 points left. Then a minute later I was booted again and when I changed my password a second time I was down to 30 points in my account. I'm so pissed.[/QUOTE]

Yerp, your account is compromised. Call M$ and they'll lock your account and conduct an investigation. You may not get your points back.

Also, looking at my download history nothing is showing as being downloaded recently (at least not by me). I don't understand what just happened. I'm logged in but when I go to account management to check on my credit card info I get prompted for a password again... I'm a little wary of putting it in though. I really don't know what to do...

I got hacked today as well. Lost 3,200 points. Once you report to MS, they lock your account for 15-20 business days. From the reports I'm seeing, many people don't ever get their stolen points back and many people don't get their accounts back period. I have heard extreme cases where people have had their accounts locked for 6+ months with no end in sight.

I am on day 1, so the waiting game begins........

[quote name='Doomtime']Uh oh, yeah you've been hacked.

Fifa 12 is definitely the telling sign because the hackers buy coins for Fifa Ultimate team with hacked accounts. They sell the hacked account login info on various sites around the internet. The person that buys it then has access to a (stolen) loaded account with thousands of Fifa 12 coins.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dotCody']Yerp, your account is compromised. Call M$ and they'll lock your account and conduct an investigation. You may not get your points back.[/QUOTE]

So is my account totally hacked or is it over since my MS points are gone and I reset my password? What is the customer support number and are they open right now? I'll be so pissed if I lose my entire account and all my achievements, etc...

Definitely get MS on the phone, even though that is a torturous event on its own. It is most likely that your account has been compromised. Good luck man. :(

[quote name='javery']so is my account totally hacked or is it over since my ms points are gone and i reset my password? What is the customer support number and are they open right now? I'll be so pissed if i lose my entire account and all my achievements, etc...[/quote]

1-800-4-myxbox

This FIFA thing is getting fucking ridiculous. So many people have had their accounts swiped because of whatever crazy system that game uses for virtual merchandise. They need to do something about this, whether it is changing how the game sells content or some other solution. It needs to be addressed. I realize you can't just stop accounts from being stolen whether it's due to phishing or engineering the moronic support staff of XBL, but they need to make it so this game is not such a lure for account thieves.

I'm actually taking my account off this site and every other where my XBL name is displayed for now. This is crazy.

When you get everything in order you may want to take a look at this -

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-qa-with-stephen-stepto-toulouse-on-xbox-live-security/3862/

More specifically, this part (a question being asked to the head of Xbox Security) -

One situation I’d heard from users--and this isn’t unique to Microsoft or any company--is that if your account recovery is taking longer than the estimated time, the best thing that you can do is be persistent to make sure companies are aware of your account and you’re getting bumped up in the queue. You mentioned that you could dispute the charges and several users had talked to me about filing something with the Better Business Bureau, and then suddenly would find their accounts magically bumped up the queue.

You won't lose your account (ie achievements) but it may take a long time to get it back. If it looks like your account is taking a long time to be restored, start talking about it. Twitter, BBB, etc. In fact, start doing it as soon as you file with MS. It will probably help you get fixed more quickly, despite MS denying that doing that stuff makes a difference.

For the Xbox.com part of your problems, clear your cookies.

Happens to me through Firefox every now and then, when I clear out my cookies everything is fine

Sorry to hear about it. Same thing happened to me in November. In roughly 30 days I had my stolen points back. If getting horrible customer service isn't bad enough the part that really burns my ass is when Microsoft puts out statements about people getting scammed or falling for phising ploys is why they are hacked. I'd love to know how these assholes are getting the passwords.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if I should call and try to get the points back. My CC on file was expired so they shouldn't have been able to purchase anything. So they drained $40 which sucks but losing my account for a month would be even worse I think. I will never ever enter CC info on my account or keep points in there. This blows.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you sort things out.

Ever since the PSN debacle this summer I went points only on PS3, and now will do the same with XBL.

So much for stocking up on points, too.

I've read a tiny bit about the FIFA12 situation - can anyone fill me in on how/why account hacking is so closely related to one title?

[quote name='mykevermin']Good luck and keep us posted on how you sort things out.

Ever since the PSN debacle this summer I went points only on PS3, and now will do the same with XBL.

I've read a tiny bit about the FIFA12 situation - can anyone fill me in on how/why account hacking is so closely related to one title?[/QUOTE]
No one really knows buts its assumed if you had any ties with EA and had the same password on w/e you signed up when you joined them you're getting your account stolen and through that they buy FIFA pack's which can be traded through your CC or remaining MS points.

I just got an email from MS saying they were unable to process the purchase of 6000 MS points because my CC has expired. Thank god that didn't go through. This seems like an easy fix if I call MS, right? In the span of 5 minutes I drained my account and tried to buy more shit but then didn't have the right CC to process it? I don't think so. I just want confirmation that my account is OK...

[quote name='Javery']I just got an email from MS saying they were unable to process the purchase of 6000 MS points because my CC has expired. Thank god that didn't go through. This seems like an easy fix if I call MS, right? In the span of 5 minutes I drained my account and tried to buy more shit but then didn't have the right CC to process it? I don't think so. I just want confirmation that my account is OK...[/QUOTE]
Yeah they'll close your shit for a month give you your name back and maybe give you your points back. Nothing you can do now but call them

[quote name='mykevermin']I've read a tiny bit about the FIFA12 situation - can anyone fill me in on how/why account hacking is so closely related to one title?[/QUOTE]

Exploit on the EA Servers. If you have an EA account, you risk having your XBL info exposed.

[quote name='Javery']Can I still play my Xbox and earn achievements and use Netflix, etc. while they "investigate"?[/QUOTE]

Your main account is shut down for a month nothing you can do with it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Good luck and keep us posted on how you sort things out.

I've read a tiny bit about the FIFA12 situation - can anyone fill me in on how/why account hacking is so closely related to one title?[/QUOTE]

Here's some light reading....

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/microsoft-ea-claim-fifa-isnt-causing-rash-of-xbox-live-hacks/3746

That doesn't go into the explicit why and I'm really fucking annoyed I can't find the article I read that went into details why this was a target, but from what I recall it's not just because there is a lot of DLC for the game (otherwise Rock Band would have been a big target a couple years ago). Going from memory, but I believe it's because when you buy these "card packs," you can then later "sell" them to other players. So I assume it's just like buying real sports cards...if you steal a few crates of them, odds are you're gonna come across a few that you can later sell for some significant profit.

Anyone who knows more/better, correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='GUNNM']Your main account is shut down for a month nothing you can do with it.[/QUOTE]

So no Netflix for a month? Um, that's not going to fly in my house... Goddammit.

[quote name='Javery']So no Netflix for a month? Um, that's not going to fly in my house... Goddammit.[/QUOTE]
Says you have a PS3 in your profile. Stream it there?

[quote name='GUNNM']Your main account is shut down for a month nothing you can do with it.[/QUOTE]

It's suppose to be but I heard stories where they don't or just forget to and the account that got hacked is still accessible. MS really needs to get this fixed, it's been going on for over six months now. And stop blaming the user, something is going on, fix it.

[quote name='GUNNM']Yeah I did the protection tool does it do anything special? All it made me do was input my PW on the console[/QUOTE]

It automatically logs you out of all other consoles you're logged into and makes them enter your password again too, so hopefully if you've changed your password, the hackers won't be able to log in no mo.

FIFA is a very popular game in some shitty countries. I know that is a fairly ignorant comment to make but I would assume that this is a scam that take place primarily outside the U.S. and just targets U.S. accounts.

Yeah this happened to me last October. As somebody who takes immense precautions with online security, I am honestly insulted that Microsoft still claims that all these compromises are due to social engineering and phishing.

Of course, I wouldn't have to deal with Xbox Live if I could convince my friends to buy all their games on PC. Why anybody prefers a controller to mouse+keyboard for an FPS is beyond my comprehension.

My GF was a victim of the FIFA Hack despite never having an EA account. Lost her points and it took a month for stuff to get resolved. We don't link credit cards to our accounts and we're leery about stockpiling MS points in the accounts moving forward.

Very ludicrous for Microsoft to deflect all the blame onto the users falling for social engineering, but I have a feeling they have their own investigation they would like to keep flying under the radar.

Damn it! I just logged into XBL after reading this thread and my 2000+ points are now down to 70.

Edit, called Xbox support...got right through & started a claim...FYI, you need to have access to your xbox to actually file the claim (they need your console ID/Serial number) They did say that I would have my points returned to me...I'll have to call back tonight to actually have the claim put through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. That sucks.

Small update: I spoke with customer support this morning and put in the claim. The guy was actually very friendly and it seems like a painless process. I did have to give him my console ID and serial number. He wouldn't acknowledge that there was a problem with FIFA or anything but he said it wasn't the first time he has heard of this. Anyway, I was told that this should be resolved in 10-12 days which is much better than 25, obviously. He said I should get my points back and they would tack on the time to my account that I'm suspended.

I tried asking him if MS had any idea how this hack could have happened - especially since I was watching Netflix on my console when the hack occurred. It is ridiculous that someone could force me to log off remotely but then when I tried doing the same after quickly changing my password I was unable to do so. He had no answers other than to say sometimes people share sensitive information like passwords with people they can't actually trust. No one knew my password except for me and it was unguessable since it was a random mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and symbols so they have to be getting in some other way.

The whole thing is going to make me nuts but hopefully it will get resolved without any snags... time to finally open that copy of God of War III that's been sitting in a drawer for over a year...

For the record, your account probably isnt locked. I called in to do an investigation that is completely unrelated to FIFA hack (though someone did use my points on crap), and It's almost been a week and my account can sign on just fine.

They are... I can't even put a word on it, historically, pathetically slow on taking action. I even have the email they sent that gave me a free month and says my account would be locked.

It sucks too because I do not want to purchase anything in hopes that it doesnt stuff up the actual investigation, so I'm missing out on games to buy.

I never understood how people could accept the yearly fee when anything else is free to play online. Obviously you're not paying for protection. Live still has ads. And then to hear that they always deny the problem is on their end just makes no sense. Sony was hacked but accounts weren't compromised.

[quote name='GBAstar']FIFA is a very popular game in some shitty countries. I know that is a fairly ignorant comment to make but I would assume that this is a scam that take place primarily outside the U.S. and just targets U.S. accounts.[/QUOTE]

The other side of this ethnocentric coin of yours is that soccer is pretty goddamned popular everywhere except for the US.

This is quite disconcerting to see so many people get hacked so easily. On one hand, it takes a lot of hubris for MS to throw consumers under the bus with such frequency. On the other, as someone mentioned that perhaps MS is still investigating and willfully playing the fool, that is one possible explanation.

Come on, internet. You're smarter than this. We gotta figure out how this works.

Good thing I only have 80 points on my account, I guess.

[quote name='Javery']No one knew my password except for me and it was unguessable since it was a random mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and symbols so they have to be getting in some other way.[/QUOTE]

I read an article a couple months back that said those are the easiest passwords to crack because that's how a computer "thinks." The strongest passwords they found were ones that used a few short random words strung together.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Good thing I only have 80 points on my account, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I should zero out my account. Problem is, I have 4200 in there. I guess I could pony up for the Gears season pass. That'd eat up most of it.

Yeah, it sucks.

I've been hacked and locked out of my account since late October as I've discussed in the other threads on these hackings.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it sucks.

I've been hacked and locked out of my account since late October as I've discussed in the other threads on these hackings.[/QUOTE]

Late October??? I'm be calling them once a day at this point. I was told 12 days so I expect a resolution by the end of the month.

The CSR said that they will track down whoever did this and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and I just laughed. Maybe they are playing dumb to gather info and actually catch these assholes but I doubt it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it sucks.

I've been hacked and locked out of my account since late October as I've discussed in the other threads on these hackings.[/QUOTE]
jesus dude maybe they forgot about you

how shitty would it be to be at work you look at your gamer card and see FIFA =/

[quote name='Javery']Late October??? I'm be calling them once a day at this point. I was told 12 days so I expect a resolution by the end of the month.

The CSR said that they will track down whoever did this and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and I just laughed. Maybe they are playing dumb to gather info and actually catch these assholes but I doubt it.[/QUOTE]
The person that bought my account sent me a message on Xbox by mistake admitting what he did. I even gave MS all his info. They did nothing.
They never fully fixed my account.

[quote name='not2worried']The person that bought my account sent me a message on Xbox by mistake admitting what he did. I even gave MS all his info. They did nothing.
They never fully fixed my account.[/QUOTE]

Do you no longer have "control" over your account? I mean, can you no longer log in, etc.? I was able to change my windows live password and everything and get back online on my console and I was going to just let the $40 in points go but then I decided to call customer support and see if I could get my points back.

[quote name='GUNNM']jesus dude maybe they forgot about you
[/QUOTE]

It's because my account got migrated to Russia.

A few people on the Xbox support forums who got migrated to other countries have finally started getting their accounts back. But they got hacked way before I did and had 4-6 month waits.

They haven't forgotten about me as I've gotten two e-mails apologizing for delays and including a free month code for a temp account.

Still ridiculous, so I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint a couple weeks ago to see if that would speed things up any.

[quote name='Javery']Late October??? I'm be calling them once a day at this point. I was told 12 days so I expect a resolution by the end of the month.
[/QUOTE]

Calling support frequently doesn't do any good. The phone support has no contact with the investigation teams so they can't give you any updates and just tell you to keep waiting. I was told foreign migrations take time due to legal issues with getting all the licenses back to the US, and that they can't just transfer things back but have to rebuild your account line-by-line of code.

[quote name='Javery']Do you no longer have "control" over your account? I mean, can you no longer log in, etc.? I was able to change my windows live password and everything and get back online on my console and I was going to just let the $40 in points go but then I decided to call customer support and see if I could get my points back.[/QUOTE]

I kept control of my Windows Live Account and changed that password and everything. But I can't log into Xbox Live on my console. I can log in on Xbox.com, but useless since it's all in Russian. My dashboard was in Russian as well, but at least the Dashboard update put it back in English.

Anyway, I pretty much can't use the account. I can play off line, but any achievements I earn offline will get wiped out when I have to recover my account after they finish. May lose the game saves too, the person I asked wasn't sure on that part.

[quote name='nnthomas']For the record, your account probably isnt locked. I called in to do an investigation that is completely unrelated to FIFA hack (though someone did use my points on crap), and It's almost been a week and my account can sign on just fine.

They are... I can't even put a word on it, historically, pathetically slow on taking action. I even have the email they sent that gave me a free month and says my account would be locked.

It sucks too because I do not want to purchase anything in hopes that it doesnt stuff up the actual investigation, so I'm missing out on games to buy.[/QUOTE]

They have the ability to lock all marketplace transactions without closing the account. That's what they did for me, since my hack happened the week BF3 came out, so I could still play on LIVE while they performed their investigation. And they still gave me the free month code.

You can call them to double-check about if your account is marketplace locked, but chances are the investigation is underway and calling XBL Support too much might delay your investigation further.

bread's done
Back