Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

SINNED

CAGiversary!
Deals thread in the VGD forum:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248984

Microsoft announced Xbox Live Gold subscription prices will increase on Nov 1, 2010. 1 Year increases to $59.99, 3 months to $24.99, and 1 month rises to $9.99.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx

You can get discounted 1 year subscriptions from the following places:
Amazon - $39.94
Newegg - $39.99
Microsoft - $39.99*
Walmart - $39.99

Messenger Gold Pack (Includes 1 year Gold, PGR4, Headset, Chat Pad)
Amazon - $55.44
Newegg - $54.99
Walmart - $55.44

more here

*Limit: One (1) per account. One year subscription at $39.99 for the first year with auto-renewal at the then current annual price following year one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang it now I regret not stocking up more in the past. I wonder if there will be any good deals to clear out the $50.00 cards.

Wow, like Microsoft didn't make enough money off of us already, now they're jacking up the prices. Time to stock up on cheap 12 month sub cards...

I'm paid up through early 2012. I used to be concerned with being paid up for too far in the future. Just in case MS would drop the fee. I guess a price hike shows that they won't be dropping the fee any time soon.

Well, I've got to pay it. I love Xbox Live too much to give it up.

I wonder if any of this money will go to Activision. With how they wanted money for their Call of Duty games.

:bomb:

not a deal, but pretty upset that they're increasing the price. hopefully we can still find 1 year gold cards go on sale for 30-35.

[quote name='alpha_M']can we only buy one year at a time or can we stack yearly subscriptions?[/QUOTE]

You can definitely stack as I do it.

That stinks. Will definitely jump on the next $30 12 month card offer that pops up (if one does before the new prices).

I mainly keep it for Netflix streaming, if $30-35 cards aren't plentiful after the price increase it may be time for me to drop it and just get a new Blu Ray player that has Netflix built in.

Glad I still have about 4 13 mo cards left. But I have to say I understand why they're increasing the prices but there are some of us that do not want netflix streaming, hulu, espn, and several of those other perks. Some of just want to play online and have access to demos and extra content.

Have to say this is pretty surprising... I thought they'd be reducing their prices if anything, or given the rise in other online games requiring subscription codes or whatnot, at least taking online play outside of their gold package. I certainly wasn't expecting an increase. Better stock up on cheap 12 month extension cards while you can.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That stinks. Will definitely jump on the next $30 12 month card offer that pops up (if one does before the new prices).

I mainly keep it for Netflix streaming, if $30-35 cards aren't plentiful after the price increase it may be time for me to drop it and just get a new Blu Ray player that has Netflix built in.[/QUOTE]

Netflix should never be a gold member feature in the first place, epically since PS3 and Wii can use it for free.

Sounds like I need to pick up a couple sub. cards at the current price. As many said on Major Nelson's blog, I don't use many of the recent additions to Xbox Live, but I still want to be able to play with my friends online.

This is certainly a deal considering 40 will be the new low like 30 was. I went ahead and grabbed one off amazon and will use the xbox live deal to get another year.

ahh fucking microsoft--nice move douche bags--

good thing we never pay retail for this-feel sorry for those parents that don't know bout deals and got kids screaming they want their live

Are you kidding me!! I barely play my 360 enough to warrant the price of the subscription cards I've been using. A universal price increase is retarded. At least Playstation Plus is still optional for the time being.

What's the best deal for year subscription cards right now?

Time to stack up on cheap XBL sub cards, I think. I'm just curious how much XBL time you can stack on an account. Last time I looked into it, I think the limit was 3 years from today's date.

I really wish M$ would go the PS way just charge like $20(why would they go free when making money?) for online play and have Gold+ for people who like twittering and facebooking, since I, and I'm assuming others, don't have any use for tweets and walls.

This is some serious bullshit.

[quote name='Don illmatix']there are always deals for Xbox live subs so this doesnt bother me one bit[/QUOTE]

You can bet after price incrase the deals won't be as good as before.

Eh, if they ever do another Netflix promo where they're giving out one month codes again, we all should stock up. As it is, that last promo put me good until Feb 2012.

Ugh. If Amazon and Newegg are smart, which they are, they should have 12 month cards on sale for $29.99 now and right before the price increase takes effect. They'd make a killing.

While typing that post out, I accidentally typed "price drop" several times. I can't think of any time that I've ever had to type of "price increase" before.

Why would they announce something like this without adding anything new? Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the term "added value" these days.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Why would they announce something like this without adding anything new? Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the term "added value" these days.[/QUOTE]

But, they've already added so many features over the last few years! Like... like... 1 vs 100! And Facebook, Twitter, and Last.fm! And Game Room!

[quote name='mitch079']Eh, if they ever do another Netflix promo where they're giving out one month codes again, we all should stock up. As it is, that last promo put me good until Feb 2012.[/QUOTE]

Ever think that maybe they had to do this to recover the cost of all that free live we all stole from them with that promo? And i said we as Im good til 2013 thanks to it lol

Hmm, rethinking my purchase of Halo: Reach now. My XBL sub. ends in Feb. I'm not paying $60 just to play a few games a year online.

Jesus fucking christ? What is this crap. PSN is already free and Microsoft has been fucking over it's customer base to begin with and now they've decided to INCREASE the price? fuck them. That is completely asinine.

[quote name='shrike4242']Time to stack up on cheap XBL sub cards, I think. I'm just curious how much XBL time you can stack on an account. Last time I looked into it, I think the limit was 3 years from today's date.[/QUOTE]

The cards can be cashed in at any time. I had a couple cards floating around, was informed that my sub was expiring in a few weeks, and punched in one code to extend. Now I can always sell the other one in case I want to tell MS to go F themselves.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Why would they announce something like this without adding anything new? Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the term "added value" these days.[/QUOTE]

$.83 cents a month/increase isn't that much. They've added a bunch of features over the years and never raised the price before - Netflix, Last.fm, Twitter, Facebook, Zune

[quote name='Don illmatix']there are always deals for Xbox live subs so this doesnt bother me one bit[/QUOTE]

Except your deals will likely now be $10 more than they used to be. If you got $30 deals in the past, the new "deal" will probably be $40 cards.

[quote name='mitch079']$.83 cents a month/increase isn't that much. They've added a bunch of features over the years and never raised the price before - Netflix, Last.fm, Twitter, Facebook, Zune[/QUOTE]

Most which is free in the first place...

[quote name='mitch079']$.83 cents a month/increase isn't that much. They've added a bunch of features over the years and never raised the price before - Netflix, Last.fm, Twitter, Facebook, Zune[/QUOTE]

Netflix is free on PS3 and Wii.
Facebook - is useless since you cant open any link, and the PS3 and Wii have actual web browser you can use for free.
Same with Twitter.
Last.fm - only good feature.
Zune - not going to do me or people with ipod any good.

[quote name='Ed_']Glad I still have about 4 13 mo cards left. But I have to say I understand why they're increasing the prices but there are some of us that do not want netflix streaming, hulu, espn, and several of those other perks. Some of just want to play online and have access to demos and extra content.[/QUOTE]

Lol... if you're using netflix and Hulu it's more like $80/month for Xbox Live. Remember, those are premium addons not included features. It's just more of the standard video game biz nickle and diming.

I'll stick to Steam.

I wonder if anyone at MS has realized that netflix enabled blu ray players will likely be less than $100 this holiday season. For me, netflix is the thing that keeps me on xbox live gold, but I don't think that's going to be case much longer. A year of live gold at $60 vs. $100 blu ray player isn't a winning position in my mind.

I'm sure MS has to truck a bunch of money to ESPN, but they really should have made that a subscription based add on vs going the cable company route and just jacking up EVERYONE's rates.

bread's done
Back