Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

[quote name='ryanflucas']I saw this price increase coming a mile away. Everything is increasing everywhere. MSRP of a video game is $59.99, hence why they upped it to that magic price point.

What I find funny is that Amazon is charging $39.95 to mail you a 12 month card vs $49.99 to email you a 12 month code. They really need to get that sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Well the digital code they send through the e-mail is basically straight from MS digital distribution so you can't really discount it + it is for people who are impatient and need the code ASAP.

The one you receive through the mail is like any physical media in which it comes through a distributor of video games/accessories/etc. So Amazon can price these down like they do anything else.

My question is will the "Family Pack" announced awhile back be affected?

Between EA's "pay to play" model and now this.. I feel raped.

I want to say Xbox Live has 20 million users. For the sake of it, say 10 million of those are Gold members. That's a $500,000,000 revenue stream a year. I VERY VERY seriously doubt the total cost of upkeep of the Xbox Live service is 1/4 of that. I'm willing to bet the per user cost is around $4.00 a month for utilities, hardware upkeep/maintenance, labor, etc.

Then for paying that yearly fee, you still have to pay the same amount of money for DLC that you would from PSN (when available on both services). No subsidy whatsoever. I'll still pay for it (granted I'll be paying for a bunch of cheaper cards to stockpile), but things like this tend to have a domino effect.

[quote name='Killbomb']Just gonna get a discounted 12-month card or two before the prices go up. An extra $10 wouldn't be a huge deal to me anyway. Things increase in price all the time so I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about this.[/QUOTE]

Well, they're $40 on amazon now, so you'd be saving $20 off future msrp, which I would hate giving to m$. Stock up people!!

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Why did the discussion thread get moved to deals?[/QUOTE]Cheapy moved it here. I had moved it from here to the 360 forum.

Wish I knew why he moved it, except that far more people check this forum than the 360 forum. Only reason I can think of.

[quote name='Ed_'] But I have to say I understand why they're increasing the prices.[/QUOTE]

ok i am waiting

It's pretty obvious what is going on here. Even though ESPN3 is ISP dependent, it's still costing Microsoft something. This move is interesting in that they are raising prices BEFORE officially introducing content. (ESPN3, Hulu, etc). One would suspect their Netflix deal is probably going to be renewed at an increased cost. More premium content is good but the content providers are going to get your dime one way or the other. There are no winners, except large media companies and Microsoft.

I was considering buying an Xbox 360 this month, now I'm sure I won't. I have a nice gaming computer and $60 can buy quite a bit on a steam holiday sale, where I don't pay anything monthly or annually I stay connected with all my steam friends and I'm not wasting money. For those of you that don't mind the price increase, I can see our social experiment in brainwashing the masses has evidently been making some progress, go out their and be good little consumers that buy things regardless of the value they bring you. I'm sure you think Obama is a muslim as well.

lol?

cannavaroe.jpg

cannavaroe.jpg

is this a joke? April Fools 2011...right..?..right?

[quote name='dwhelan']Seriously, online gaming is not a right.

A right is something that people have fought and (possibly) died to preserve. Every dumbass on this thread who thinks online gaming is a right should go back to school.

There are alternatives for those who choose to cry about the price increase, but remember you get what you pay for with free.

Steam is awesome for PC games, that were purchased on Steam.

PS3 offers free gaming, but not the ability to chat across games (though the PS blogs posted they are working very hard on it, in June). It also doing not offer autopatching without paying for the feature in PS+.

Alternative Xbox live - not for the non-technical, but can be enjoyed. Just don't look for non-hacked games, because they do not exist.[/QUOTE]
Have you used steam? I'm guessing no, because you can add non-steam games to steam or buy retail copies of games like MW2 that then load into steam. If you lose your game disc will XBL let you download that game for free? The reason online game play should be free is because it has been since the advent of the internet and has always been viable. You may have no sense of dignity, that doesn't mean the rest of us should lube up.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yup. I also know the difference between there and their.[/QUOTE]
their being MS's anus where you just came from.

[quote name='Skylander7']Between EA's "pay to play" model and now this.. I feel raped. [/QUOTE]

I can actually understand why EA is charging. They are providing real value for your dollar because they are providing dedicated servers for their games. That is a real "service" with real "value" that costs EA money to upkeep.

Since XBL is peer to peer Microsoft really shouldn't be charging for it. Their bandwidth costs are for the marketplace/interface/ads. It would be akin to Amazon charging you to view the products they sell.

I'm really confused by all the people thinking they will still get the same deals they have gotten in the past. You're cost is still likely going to go up by $10. Whether or not you typically get a better deal than MSRP on the live subscription is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I never pay more than $35 for live. I doubt that will change even with this price increase.[/QUOTE]

Based on what? Your costs will more likely go up by $10.

I've always used store credit from flipping to buy my subscription cards. Now that i'm out of credit, they raise the prices. I'm not sure how I feel about paying cash for a sub card (even at $30) since I've never had to do it before.

This sucks. I'll wait till Black Friday for a deal (hopefully 30 or under). I just want a subscription service to play games, no facebook/twitter/last fm/etc. crap that I never use.

The ads on the dashboard are also ridicolous, if you pay a subscription there shouldn't be so many.

Damn guys, I know the price increase sucks, but chill out. It's $10 more over a year. This ain't big money we're talking about.

[quote name='msdmoney']I can actually understand why EA is charging. They are providing real value for your dollar because they are providing dedicated servers for their games. That is a real "service" with real "value" that costs EA money to upkeep.
[/QUOTE]
and i was just thinking about this.

why is live charging you for using EA's servers?
I mean, It is EA's Servers so why would you need Live? It's like you need Live to do anything online on the 360.

Also i looked up about the Pay to Play EA fee and....
i pictured the worse and that being me getting charged extra to use their servers.
It seems that you get free access once you buy their games new. which means i am off the hook.

Damn.
First this shit with MS and then EA?
Double the fucking rage is not a good for anyone's health :hot:

Problem - Xbox live gold subscription price is increasing.

Solution - Pay the increase, drop to silver member, or sell Xbox and play on other system or PC.

Wow, can it really be that easy?

Nope, gotta get onto the forums and complain as if it will do any good.

All I know is I'm happy that I bought extra stock in Kleenex today.... :p

We can argue the merits of DLC later but GOLD membership does provide some cost savings if you are patient. Many DotW items are only available to GOLD members. I saved $11 the last 2 weeks on Bioshock 2 and DA:O DLC. Silver members would not get this opportunity and thus I can take that $11 off the cost of my yearly membership ($40 this year). If I am buying the DLC and Arcade games anyways then it really can pay off to be a gold member and patient. It does not excuse the online gaming cost which sucks for sure but with enough CAG work your yearly Gold Membership can pay for itself.

Anybody else notice the value of disc based games falling? I mean, all kinds of AAA titles are on sale the first week of release, or come with gift cards and whatnot. And games are not holding their value for as long either.

My sense of this is that everyone is going to start charging more for DLC and digital services, and less overall for disc based media. Not that both changes will happen at the same time, mind you.

Oh yeah, and screw Microsoft.

[quote name='Admiral Moo']Anybody else notice the value of disc based games falling? I mean, all kinds of AAA titles are on sale the first week of release, or come with gift cards and whatnot. And games are not holding their value for as long either.

My sense of this is that everyone is going to start charging more for DLC and digital services, and less overall for disc based media. Not that both changes will happen at the same time, mind you.

Oh yeah, and screw Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

DLC is a massive money-maker because it can't be resold unless you want to part with your entire account.

I'm sure that a price hike was going to happen when MS released their new console, so its best to get it out the way now that way by the time the new MS console is released, people will be already acclimated to the price. Better the bad price now, than when you're introducing new price points for new products.

[quote name='cancerman1120']We can argue the merits of DLC later but GOLD membership does provide some cost savings if you are patient. Many DotW items are only available to GOLD members. I saved $11 the last 2 weeks on Bioshock 2 and DA:O DLC. Silver members would not get this opportunity and thus I can take that $11 off the cost of my yearly membership ($40 this year). If I am buying the DLC and Arcade games anyways then it really can pay off to be a gold member and patient. It does not excuse the online gaming cost which sucks for sure but with enough CAG work your yearly Gold Membership can pay for itself.[/QUOTE]

Are you adding more fuel for PS3 fanboy? PSN deals are open to everyone, and people paying PSN + get free stuff.

I do not like this AT ALL...a 20% increase for a service that has become a SPAM-vertisement that just bombards the user with additional services/dlc that you must pay EXTRA for. MS just lost me, good thing I have a PS3 as a very capable "backup" plan.

[quote name='Brettsaysdie']I was considering buying an Xbox 360 this month, now I'm sure I won't. I have a nice gaming computer and $60 can buy quite a bit on a steam holiday sale, where I don't pay anything monthly or annually I stay connected with all my steam friends and I'm not wasting money. For those of you that don't mind the price increase, I can see our social experiment in brainwashing the masses has evidently been making some progress, go out their and be good little consumers that buy things regardless of the value they bring you. I'm sure you think Obama is a muslim as well.[/QUOTE]

Here's an idea, get a PS3! Crazy right I mean it only offers more as a total package than the Xbox for less.

[quote name='msdmoney']Since XBL is peer to peer Microsoft really shouldn't be charging for it. Their bandwidth costs are for the marketplace/interface/ads. It would be akin to Amazon charging you to view the products they sell.[/QUOTE]
Uh...are you really standing behind that weak analogy? It's an exclusive service...they provide messaging, both text and voice, pictures, hosting...and Amazon is a website. Absolutely ridiculous comparison.

And someone else said it best here...who the fuck is paying full price for a year of live on CAG?

Wow.....BS =_= probably because MS think they're not gonna sell Kinet very well and getting ready for lost in profits haha.

I don't see any reason to renew my Live subscription since NONE of my friends online actively play games anymore . And if they are on, they're watching Netflix.

edit: Oh yeah. Microsoft can eat a Dick. Sony has all the games I'll be playing this holiday season. M$ is ruining gaming for me, and I'm not just talking about Live.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Theduck']Based off your use of language to insult everyone with a different opinion other than yours clearly demonstrates that you're an Xbox 360 owner and fanboy.

Those my friends are the true definitions of stereotype and irony.[/QUOTE]

Actually dipshit, I own all 3 systems. I am not a "Fanboy" of any 1 of those systems, although I do prefer to play on the 360 as that is just my personal choice. I dont give a damn what systme peolpe play on, as each one has its own merits and some good exclusives. Hence the reson I own all 3. My issue is when some people want to cry over an additional 10 dollar a year increase after 8 years of service and improvements after paying 50 bucks a year for minor improvements that honestly should have been done from the start.

Your failure to understand these things and immediately throw out the term fanboy shows your short-sidedness and inability to comprehend the larger issue I was making.

[quote name='62t']Are you adding more fuel for PS3 fanboy? PSN deals are open to everyone, and people paying PSN + get free stuff.[/QUOTE]

I was really trying not to. I own both systems but prefer to game on the Xbox 360. The only games I play on PS3 are the exclusives. It sucks to pay for GOLD but I do think they provide a better product than Sony does. It is much more user friendly and they do take some of our money to gain exclusives and first to console DLCs. Lets face it, hardware is not a big money maker for them or Sony so they have to make money doing this some way.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I was really trying not to. I own both systems but prefer to game on the Xbox 360. The only games I play on PS3 are the exclusives. It sucks to pay for GOLD but I do think they provide a better product than Sony does. It is much more user friendly and they do take some of our money to gain exclusives and first to console DLCs. Lets face it, hardware is not a big money maker for them or Sony so they have to make money doing this some way.[/QUOTE]

I dont think anyone would disagree that Live is a better service than PSN. However it is not $50 better, and it is certainly not $60 better.

[quote name='62t']I dont think anyone would disagree that Live is a better service than PSN. However it is not $50 better, and it is certainly not $60 better.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that completely. Luckily I don't pay that:) Well at least not yet.

[quote name='seanr1221']Hopefully this keeps the poor people off of Live.[/QUOTE]

Yea like those cheap ass gamers... wait... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuu!

I always bought my games for the 360 but now outside of exclusives I'll buy the Ps3 version so I (and others in the house) can play online. This just reminded me of how bullshit it is that everyone under the same roof has to have a separate Live sub.

[quote name='62t']I dont think anyone would disagree that Live is a better service than PSN. However it is not $50 better, and it is certainly not $60 better.[/QUOTE]

QFT

My subscription ends sometime in January. Might be my last year of Live for a while. I haven't really played with my 360 in a while either. There hasn't been a good enough release as of late. I also don't see myself playing Black Ops later this year. While I do like COD and Treyarch, they just really over saturated the market. Its the new Madden.

I don't see the $60 price as that bad. I mean it really only comes out to $5 a month if you look at it monthly and to me xbox live seems worth $5 a month.

I just went to check my xbox account to see when my live sub expires. Noticed it was on "auto renewal" but I always used the pre-paid cards. Anyway, I went to cancel auto renewal and what a bunch of bullshit clicks to get out of it.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I just went to check my xbox account to see when my live sub expires. Noticed it was on "auto renewal" but I always used the pre-paid cards. Anyway, I went to cancel auto renewal and what a bunch of bullshit clicks to get out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean. They ask you "are you sure?" about 6 times before they finally do it. Just remember that every time you use a code to add months that they reset your auto renewal. You have to turn it off AGAIN.

bread's done
Back