Xbox Live Help!

Tespo125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
I'm a little frustrated. I cannot set up my Xbox Live.

I have:
Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G)
Xbox Wireless-G Adapter (740-MN)
Road Runner Highspeed ISP

I hooked everything up, seems to work fine. Oly when I try to setup an Xbox Live Account, this is what happens:

Turn Xbox console on, select 'Xbox Live'
"Select Account" : I choose 'New Account'
"Welcome to Xbox Live" : I select 'Continue'
"Unable to continue due to technical difficulties. Please try again later." : I select 'OK'
"Could not connect to Xbox Live. Do you want to troubleshoot your network connection?" : I choose 'Yes'
"Connection Status", Green light on "Cables connected.", Green light on "IP Settings configured.", Green light on "DNS resolved.", RED X on "Xbox Live not found." : I choose 'Help'
"Communication Error", "Could not connect to Xbox Live. Check these possible options:

If you connect through a router, see if your router is on the Router List at www.xbox.com/connect.
If you connect through a router, verify that the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) size on the router is set to 1365 or greater.
If you connect through a PC using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), see www.xbox.com/connectfor more information."

What do I do?

call up your router manufacturer (XBL help is pretty good, but will likely send you to them in the end anyway). Usually there's something you need to change in your router setup to allow XBL connections.

I had "Restrictive NAT" errors and had to call up Netgear to get it resolved, since the XBL people couldn't help.

Netgear typically states that you need to have UDP:88 and TCP:3074 open on your router to your xbox's ip address (due to MS doing some weird network stuff - that the router correctly blocks...)

I had some initial difficulties with my Netgear ME101 bridge, but I ended up just applying the DNS IP address under the xbox network connection to my router's gateway, which was 192.168.0.1...and everything worked.

You may also need to check if whatever IP address your wirless bridge (ms wirless g) is set to is within the range of allowable ip address that your router will allow.

I also ran into the issue that my bridge was coded for 192.168.0.200 but my router only dished out IP addresses up to x.x.x.50...

All things to check for...but definatly check out Linksys web site for setup instructions...

bread's done
Back