Xbox Live Point Cards and Gold Subscriptions on Sale at Amazon

[quote name='Marat']Haven't you cheap asses realized by now that microsoft points are tax free no matter which state you live in.
It's just like buying a gift card, none taxable.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they charge you tax if you buy it through your 360

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'm pretty sure they charge you tax if you buy it through your 360[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true, but can't say one way or the other for sure.
I do know that I've never been charged tax in B&M for points cards before.

[quote name='Marat']Haven't you cheap asses realized by now that microsoft points are tax free no matter which state you live in.

tell that to Target who charged me tax during that $5 deal/exploit back around the end of May

Target charged me tax when I bought 3x 1600 pt cards when they had it for $15ea.

[quote name='zenintrude']in short: no

in long: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

[edit] this will never get old... oh, there. it just got old.[/quote]
Yahtzee fan, eh? :D

The 20% off on the 4000pt. card deal seems to be dead. They're listed at $49.99 again.

[quote name='Pirate331']Yahtzee fan, eh? :D

The 20% off on the 4000pt. card deal seems to be dead. They're listed at $49.99 again.[/quote]

That's third-party seller J&R's price. Check the right sidebar for Amazon's listing at $39.97.

[quote name='rapsodist']That's third-party seller J&R's price. Check the right sidebar for Amazon's listing at $39.97.[/quote]
Teach me not to pay attention to detail, will ya? :dunce:

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']I know that they charge tax if you buy through your 360. I live in TN btw.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Pirate Ninja']Target charged me tax when I bought 3x 1600 pt cards when they had it for $15ea.[/QUOTE]

I'm really starting to wonder about the tax codes for MS points. Here's my experiences in MN:

- Target: charges tax for point cards
- Gamestop: does not charge tax for point cards (when bought with cash; also, any purchase with trade credit is not taxed)
- Online through XBL or xbox.com - does not charge tax for points
yet...
- I get charged tax when buying Wii points through the shop channel!

It's all so damn inconsistent...

Anyway, ordered a 4000 point card, that should keep me going through November, at least. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just like buying a gift card, none taxable.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I have purchased points card on Live and they do charge tax. They also charge tax for points cards in stores. I have purchases cards in Target and Circuit City and have always paid tax. Tax is definitely paid in New York State.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on where you live. I live in Michigan, and do not pay tax...thru live, nor online at all but site based in/ having businesses in Michigan. Yet, i know places like NY and CA have stricter laws that do tax more stuff and Microsoft knows who to tax and who not to. As for the different stores in the same state..... got me there, maybe just one store being safe by taking tax or not knowing not to.

I bought some points on my Xbox the other day and they did not charge tax. It all depends on which state you live in.

[quote name='kr580']I bought some points on my Xbox the other day and they did not charge tax. It all depends on which state you live in.[/QUOTE]

Check your credit card bill. I don't believe it shows up when you buy the points over Live regardless of whether or not you are gettin charged tax. I know I didn't think I was paying tax on them either until I saw the charge on my card.

[quote name='danchilders']Check your credit card bill. I don't believe it shows up when you buy the points over Live regardless of whether or not you are gettin charged tax. I know I didn't think I was paying tax on them either until I saw the charge on my card.[/quote]
Credit card statement shows a $6.25 charge which is the price of 500 MS Points with no tax. No tax for me. :applause:

[quote name='danchilders']Check your credit card bill. I don't believe it shows up when you buy the points over Live regardless of whether or not you are gettin charged tax. I know I didn't think I was paying tax on them either until I saw the charge on my card.[/QUOTE]

I checked right after posting. Got charged $12.50 for 1000 points. No tax. :lol:

The 1600 point cards and 4000 point cards are still orderable from Amazon for the sale prices, though they're listing as being in-stock in 3-5 weeks.

They are back up to regular price :( The 12 month subscription is still $38.99. Buy.com has a similar deal 1600 for $18.99 and their 12 month is $39.99

Just bought a new Xbox, and trying to jump on some deals!

[quote name='SuperJedi']Comon guys, this is really NOT that hot of a deal! Whatever![/QUOTE]

You've seen them for cheaper? 'Nuff said.

[quote name='shrike4242']The 1600 point cards and 4000 point cards are still orderable from Amazon for the sale prices, though they're listing as being in-stock in 3-5 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Quoting the master.

They are still on sale. Look for Amazon's price on the right before posting it's dead. (This is happening way too often on each page)

Thanks OP. Just nabbed the 13 month live card. Had a $25 reward GC from my Amazon visa sitting around as well, so $13.99 for 13 months of live isn't shabby. My subscription was up in a couple of months as well.

Didn't need the point cards as I don't buy much stuff and still have a couople thousand points on my account.

[quote name='Justin42']Quoting the master.

They are still on sale. Look for Amazon's price on the right before posting it's dead. (This is happening way too often on each page)[/QUOTE]

Sweeeeet I had saw this earlier and thought it was dead too. Big thanks to the OP and Justin here for pointing this out. Was disappointing when I thought I had missed this....ya its not THAT big of a savings, but considering these things never freaking go on sale its awesome.

[quote name='mitch079']You've seen them for cheaper? 'Nuff said.[/quote]

YES! Seen it MANY times Before! Don't forget we had a deal back when you get it for only $5 with purchase of a game!!!

That's bound to return, I am sure!

How many MS points does one need, anyway?

In the end, all you are doing is giving MS $$$ for OVER PRICED XBL Marketplace contents!!!

If you only save $4, NO way is it considered THAT great of a deal, considering what we had in the past!

[quote name='SuperJedi']YES! Seen it MANY times Before! Don't forget we had a deal back when you get it for only $5 with purchase of a game!!!

That's bound to return, I am sure!

How many MS points does one need, anyway?

In the end, all you are doing is giving MS $$$ for OVER PRICED XBL Marketplace contents!!!

If you only save $4, NO way is it considered THAT great of a deal, considering what we had in the past![/QUOTE]

Having to buy a game is not a better deal unless your talking about a discount priced game of like $10-$15 and then you get the $50 card. Many of us do not buy new games at full price and my guess is your talking about the 1600 point card anyways.

Are MS Points overpriced? Yes! is the DLC way overpriced? fuck yes! Is this a good deal that can be used to fuel a neccesary evil.....sadly yes. I hate how much we are charged for DLC, Rockband and GH rape us on downloadable songs and most of the games are several dollars overpriced.....but there is some content that many of us just dont want to miss.

They are tricky with the price down on the right. That one's new to me. Grabbed a 1600 pt card & Logitech PS2 wireless controller with a Gift Certif credit. Good stuff.

I went ahead and ordered another 1600 and 4000 card. Be a couple weeks before getting but I'll be needing them when they come.
Also got an extra 1600 card coming with Rock Band 2.
Then theres the 1100 I'll be getting from the Dream Car Challenge, if I get them.
That's 13,900 points.
I think I'm gonna be good on points for awhile...maybe. There is a lot of games and DLC I've been wanting.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']Even at $15 at target, that is ~1.50 TN sales tax, plus gas, etc. This is a pretty good deal imo.[/quote]
there is no sales tax anywhere on point cards. :p

[quote name='SuperJedi']In the end, all you are doing is giving MS $$$ for OVER PRICED XBL Marketplace contents!!![/quote]
Agreed... I even have most of the XBLA games I want on either my Genesis or PC; thing is I have neither of those here at school with me so I just have to sit here and pound my head against the wall whenever I feel like getting a Sonic or Smash TV fix. There's some DLC I want for games too though (which should just have been in the game itself IMO) like the extra requests in Beautiful Katamari or the new mission set for Mass Effect.

[quote name='fatez']there is no sales tax anywhere on point cards. :p[/quote]

huh? I've always been charged S&H at B&M (western NY)
8.75% =b

[quote name='fatez']there is no sales tax anywhere on point cards. :p[/quote]

All depends on the state you're in. Ohio has no sales tax on food while PA has no sales tax on clothing...even though it doesn't seem right to pay for sales tax on pts.

[quote name='mitch079']1600 point cards are a slightly better deal - 159.70 for 16000 points - as opposed to 4000 points - 159.88 for 16000 points[/quote]

I'll pay 18 cents just to NOT type in 2 extra card codes. Although I respect anyone who would feel that's worthwhile.

And are there ever any better deals on subscriptions or points? About 20% off seems to be the best it gets for non-stolen codes. I'll probably dive in for a couple of years worth here.

[quote name='SuperJedi']Comon guys, this is really NOT that hot of a deal! Whatever![/quote]

Geez, we need at least one of these every topic about points and subs, huh?

[quote name='ianoid']I'll pay 18 cents just to NOT type in 2 extra card codes. Although I respect anyone who would feel that's worthwhile.
[/quote]

Codes can be entered online through xbox.com so you don't have to bother using the controller to enter it through the 360.

Thanks for this all. I stocked up with 6 1600 pt cards. Castle Crashers, Rush for Rock Band, and still plenty to keep me going for awhile :)

[quote name='SniDa']Codes can be entered online through xbox.com so you don't have to bother using the controller to enter it through the 360.[/QUOTE]

USB keyboards work as well.

bread's done
Back