Xbox Live Sale @ TRU YMMV

Kakkarrot23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't see this posted so here goes. I was at TRU and the following 360 live products were on sale but not in the flyer:

1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off
Xbox Live Gold 12 months $39.99
Xbox live gold 3 months 9.99 plus a free 3 month live gold. (I did see this at the one store but I didn't see it at the other store I went to. My wife and I had to read it to make sure we were seeing the same thing)

All sign were put up in RZone. I was at the Freehold, NJ store. Sale lasts all week.

Update: I did have to go back to the store as they did sell it to me but for some reason it didn't activate. Showed the manager and he fixed the problem for me. Just make sure it says activation on the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The guy's right, though: if there's something you want and there's even a slight chance they might run out, calling ahead is one of the dumbest things you can do because it gives employees first crack at it. They won't leave that $5 game on the shelf out of the goodness of their hearts if they want a copy.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I've never subscribed to that notion at all, and I probably never will. Most retail employees don't care games. They just so happen to work in the electronics department, and they could care less that there's a great deal on a game or accessory. I've called ahead plenty of times for cheap stuff, and they have held it for me. And think about it. If an employee is a gamer or, perhaps, a flipper or reseller, they would have already picked the place clean well before you got the notion of calling ahead. That's one of the few fringe benefits of working such a job. You have first crack at the sales and clearance.

Went to a TRU here in Phoenix, and they had the sign up and everything, but they rang up for 19.99 and two managers tried to come over and change the price but no dice.

They did give me one for 9.99 but I wanted three for myself and three for my buddy so it was quite disappointing.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Went to a TRU here in Phoenix, and they had the sign up and everything, but they rang up for 19.99 and two managers tried to come over and change the price but no dice.

They did give me one for 9.99 but I wanted three for myself and three for my buddy so it was quite disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Were they the cards by themselves, or the ones inside of the plastic blister packs?

[quote name='zenintrude']Were they the cards by themselves, or the ones inside of the plastic blister packs?[/QUOTE]

Just the ones by themselves.

I went to my TRU in Sac today and they told me the sale was over on Saturday. It was only Friday and Saturday or when the inventory ran out and they said they didnt have many of the older Orange color point cards to start with and sold them all right away. The manager said it was intended to rid of the older cards, since now they have the White color point cards now. The had the $69.99 Live Boxes, but were up to regular price, he even double checked.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Just the ones by themselves.[/QUOTE]

A-ha... that's the reason it rang up at $19.99. You actually lucked out by being able to buy one, since the deal is for these cards:

xbox-live-marketplace-1600-microsoft-points-card-us-version%5B2%5D.jpg

Just did a successful trade with zenintrude for 12 month xbox live card. We exchanged the codes over PM's and everything went smoothly. Thanks again.

[quote name='Drkirby']So I should be able to get 6 months of Live for $10?[/QUOTE]

As the subject says, it's YMMV. They are trying to clear out the stock of older stuff, like the points zen posted above in the blister pack.

[quote name='zenintrude']A-ha... that's the reason it rang up at $19.99. You actually lucked out by being able to buy one, since the deal is for these cards:

xbox-live-marketplace-1600-microsoft-points-card-us-version%5B2%5D.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I realize that now, but all the sign says is "1600 points card" so it should be for all of them. I know at Target if it said that we would have to give any cards for that price, and it's actually very easy. I don't know why TRU system is so asinine and won't let them. The manager actually had to come over and give me a override for a coupon or something.

If you can find some kind of prove that says "1600 Points Card" is discounted to $9.99, there is no doubt in my mind that you can just pick up normal cards and have somebody overwrite the price. Who are they are argue with something that is advertised (if it is) and the price that it says it is suppose to be?

As long as the prove doesn't say "Only Old Style Microsoft Points With Grey Package" you should be able to get any points you want.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If you can find some kind of prove that says "1600 Points Card" is discounted to $9.99, there is no doubt in my mind that you can just pick up normal cards and have somebody overwrite the price. Who are they are argue with something that is advertised (if it is) and the price that it says it is suppose to be?

As long as the prove doesn't say "Only Old Style Microsoft Points With Grey Package" you should be able to get any points you want.[/QUOTE]

I believe the problem has to do with the card-only points requiring activation, which really messes up their system (i.e. their accounting). The cards in blister packs need no such activation because they have security sensors inside the packaging.

Called to the TRUS in Peoria, IL and the lady even tried scanning the 12 month card for me but it was coming up at $49.99 in their system.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If you can find some kind of prove that says "1600 Points Card" is discounted to $9.99, there is no doubt in my mind that you can just pick up normal cards and have somebody overwrite the price. Who are they are argue with something that is advertised (if it is) and the price that it says it is suppose to be?

As long as the prove doesn't say "Only Old Style Microsoft Points With Grey Package" you should be able to get any points you want.[/QUOTE]

Depends on where you live. Here in Michigan, the consumer protection laws require stores to match the price they've got out. That doesn't apply to advertised sales that have run their course, though - if the sign's got a date on it and it's past date, then it's a no-go.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Sorry, but I've never subscribed to that notion at all, and I probably never will. Most retail employees don't care games. They just so happen to work in the electronics department, and they could care less that there's a great deal on a game or accessory. I've called ahead plenty of times for cheap stuff, and they have held it for me. And think about it. If an employee is a gamer or, perhaps, a flipper or reseller, they would have already picked the place clean well before you got the notion of calling ahead. That's one of the few fringe benefits of working such a job. You have first crack at the sales and clearance.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...but my experience today leans towards my side of the story. ;)

Went to one of the Toys R Us stores around here (John R road store), and after a quick look I ended up talking to the lone employee in the game section. He said that they were sold out...and also told me that, as soon as he got word, he decided to hit up some of the other stores in the area for himself, with little luck.

If you live in Michigan, in Metro Detroit:
  • The Port Huron store, at one point, had the three month cards.
  • The Southgate store, at one point, had the one month cards.
  • The guy I talked to didn't say ANYTHING about finding point cards, which leads me to believe there aren't many or any left in the region.

Given that the Port Huron store is a whopping fifty miles away from the store I was in today, I'm going to guess that the guy I talked to did a pretty thorough search on his own.

I don't know WHEN they had the cards in stock, or if they're still there; it sounded like the guy I was talking to made the trip a few days ago. Other than that, you're probably not going to find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... I decided to set out a bit ago in hopes I could find one of these amazing deals... Well... lol I ended up getting 1600 point cards for 9.99 each (bought 5) and 12 month subscription cards for 12.98 each, (bought 2) so for 76.00 i got like $200 worth of points and subs lol... Thanks for the heads up to the OP :D

(As a side note, this was not in the system, but due to all the mixups and them having the price tags out for that price, they honored it for me)

GL to all else looking :D

it's the computer that doesn't let them override the price and they can sell you what they want only. since the sku (upc) is different they can argue it and you can't complain really plus it's while supplies last as any other sale.

Checked out TRU in Kenwood, Cincinnati, OH... they didnt have the blister packs so they rang up as 19.99. They did have 12 month cards marked down to 39.99 but they were sold out

I just got back from my TRU. I found the display and it was marked that the 1600 point cards were $9.99. They rang up at $19.99 though since they were the new white cards and were the wrong SKU. Thing that pissed me off the most was when the cashier looked into their inventory she told me that they never had any of the SKU that was on sale, yet they stupidly still put the sign out (yeah I know, it's TRU, and how they are still in business I'll never know).

They did spend 10-15 minutes trying to figure out what they could do to sell the cards to me for $10, but the manager finally told me that since they have to be activated through their Point of Sale software would not allow them to override the price - it was not even an option. And they could not sell them to me and then refund the difference because it would deactivate the cards.

I understand why I could not purchase the cards, but hate the fact that when you think you find a deal in a store, posted in black in white by the company itself, the customer gets fucking screwed because chain stores do not how to run legitimate sales or knows to check its inventory to see it even has any stock before posting the sale.

Very disappointed.

Both TRUs near me had the signs honoring the sale. However, the first store I went to didn't have the 1600 points blister packs, but they did have the 3 Month card. So, I went to another store. I asked the guy first if he could sell them to me, and he said yes. So I get to the register with 9 cards (not in blister packs), and they starting ringing up at $19.99. So, the lady tries to override the price, no luck.

So, I decided to ask them for the sticker showing $9.99 in hopes of going to Wal-mart for a price match. I called them over the phone and they said you need the ad?! WTF!?

Screw this deal for two reasons:

1. Store must be offering the sale.
2. Store has to have the blister pack cards.

BULLSHIT!

Not really sure why people are getting so upset over this. The OP clearly states YMMV.

The cards in question haven't been in stock for many months now. Get over it!

Thats what the sign says. It simply says "XBOX Live 1600 point card." And the people working there agree with me. Which is why they spent 10-15 minutes trying to get it to work. The problem is that the system physically won't let them do it. The lady who got it to work for me had to create a fictitious coupon and run it to get me the $10 off.

The reason everyone is getting so upset is because it's an incredibly bad business practice to put a sign out that says simply "1600 point cards," mislead your customers to think they are all on sale, when in reality it's just a clearance on a specific kind, and then not have it correct in the system, and also not let your employees fix the issue and help the customer.

just checked my local store. no sign, guy told me they havnt had the clamshell cards in a long time. anyone selling a 1600 point code?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The reason everyone is getting so upset is because it's an incredibly bad business practice to put a sign out that says simply "1600 point cards," mislead your customers to think they are all on sale, when in reality it's just a clearance on a specific kind, and then not have it correct in the system, and also not let your employees fix the issue and help the customer.[/QUOTE]

I could understand that, if that was the case. In the store I looked at (and judging from some of the other accounts), a lot of stores don't have ANY signs up. You've got reason to be upset, but a lot of the people posting here don't - this is the perfect example of a YMMV sale. To repeat somebody else's post...

[quote name='dragonjud']Not really sure why people are getting so upset over this. The OP clearly states YMMV.

The cards in question haven't been in stock for many months now. Get over it![/QUOTE]

If you find this, you got lucky. If you're like zenintrude, you got REALLY lucky. Most of us aren't going to find squat - that's the way clearance sales like this one work.

[quote name='aServantOfGod']If anyone would like to buy a bunch and sell them to me via paypal that would be awesome. Just let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

"A bunch?" Good luck with that. :roll:

I was one tru and they had the blister pack 3month xbl rang up $9.99 as well but I asked if it was bogo and the cashier said no only on sale for $10. They didn't have no sign or any thing might go to another tru tomorrow or something. Is the extra 3 month comes with the card we buy or they sell 2 of those for $10?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I could understand that, if that was the case. In the store I looked at (and judging from some of the other accounts), a lot of stores don't have ANY signs up. You've got reason to be upset, but a lot of the people posting here don't - this is the perfect example of a YMMV sale. To repeat somebody else's post...

If you find this, you got lucky. If you're like zenintrude, you got REALLY lucky. Most of us aren't going to find squat - that's the way clearance sales like this one work.

"A bunch?" Good luck with that. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats my main problem. Is that it's merely a clearance, but that is not how they are portraying it or advertising it.

Cant speak for other areas, but seems to me that this deal may very well be YMMV. I live in the Twin Cities, and TRU DOES have this deal going on here. But it DEFINATELY is on the orange live/points cards only. The ones in the bubble plastic packs. And they usually have them at the checkout counter....apart from the newer silver/green cards for live/points. Picked up a 3mo card for 10 dollars myself...really wanted a 1600 ms point card, but tried 2 TRU's with no luck on those.
Anyone in the Twin Cities know of a TRU that might have a 1600? I tried Burnsville, on county 42, and tried Bloomington just off of I-494. Dont know of any others?

The closest store for me (in Morrow, GA) has no such luck. As is usually the case for me with YMMV sales.

I wish there was one store that would sell 1600pt cards for $14.99. There's a ton of stuff I'd like to download now (Shadow Complex, GoW2:AFC, The Dishwasher) and in the future (L4D dlc, GTA4: BoGT, the inevitable MW2 map packs et al) because for me, $14.99 is the equivalent to the magic number for retail games ($19.99). I'd love to pay $14.99 or lower for a 1600pts card, but $19.99? No.

No dice at 2 TRU today. No signs, no cards. I asked the clerk and then looked like an idiot for mentioning such a ludicrous deal.

[quote name='zenintrude']TRIP REPORT

I set out this morning at 10am, hoping to find some of the 1600 cards for $9. I wasn't sure if the stores opened at 10 or 12 today, but I figured I'd best be safe rather than sorry.

When I arrived at the first TRU, I thought maybe they were closed... all the employees were gathered around the manager, and he was giving a speech on what to do when parents lose a child in the store. But everything seemed to be open, so I made my way to the R' Zone. After looking around for a while, all through the aisles, the back wall, and behind the counter, all I could find were 3-month cards, and they weren't indicating any discount.

0 for 1.

I was familiar with one other TRU, which was just a quick expressway ride away. Ten minutes later, I was at the store. It seems they'd recently renovated to store, so everything was a little confusing to me. Eventually I found where they shoved the Xbox cards, but all they had were 12-month cards, discounted to $40.

0 for 2.

I was kind of bummed, but I decided that I'd go to the next closest TRU, so I typed "toys r us" into my GPS and was off. The GPS took me on kind of an awkward trip, and I was soon regretting my decision. Fifteen minutes later, I was at the TRU, and I started looking around. This felt better, it was a classic TRU with a completely disorganized R' Zone. After looking around for a few minutes, I found the 1600 points cards, but unfortunately they weren't the right points cards. I was discouraged.

Then I saw something amazing: a bunch of old 12-month bundles shoved in the back of a glass display case. I waited for the clerk to finish with his customers, and then I politely asked him if he could check the price of the bundle for me. It ended up being $12.98 for the 12-month bundle after a $10 rebate... pretty good, I thought, so I told him I'd buy all of them. There ended up being three of the bundles, but then he found three 12-month + Vision Cam bundles and asked me if I wanted them. I told him to check the price, and they rang up as EIGHT fuckING DOLLARS so obviously I replied, "Sure, I might as well take those, too."

1 for 3, but what a 1 that was!

picture.php

Sweetness.

Fortunately, I have no need for 6 years of Xbox Live, so I'm passing the savings on to you! Now, I'm not interested in shipping a bunch of bulky boxes, so I'm simply going to sell the contents inside separately... and by sell, I mean trade. Here are the deals I'm interested in making, so PM me if you're up for it:

[How many I have] [What I'm trading] :: [What I want for the trade]

[I have 6 of these] (1) 12-months Xbox Live card :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card
[I have 3 of these] (1) Vision Camera :: (1) 1600 Microsoft Points card (or some kind of trade, check my list)
[I have 6 of these] (1) Headset :: (1) 800 Microsoft Points card/code (or trade)
[I have 3 of these] (1) Uno card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing
[I have 3 of these] (1) Robotron:2084 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing
[I have 3 of these] (1) Bankshot Billiards 2 card :: (1) 200 Microsoft Points card/code or Rock Band track of my choosing

Ok, that seems to be about it. Good luck finding stuff at TRU everyone![/QUOTE]

Just completed the trade, and it went flawlessly. He got 1600 points, and I got $30 off a year of Live. Given that none of the stores in my area (maybe even my state, for all I know) had the cards in stock, this works just fine for me. :D

Checked out my local one. It was a very easy trip since they had absolutely no cards and they only had the 3 months of Live (which weren't on sale). Not a surprise since they've been downgrading the sections dramatically in size and selection over the past several months.

[quote name='dragonjud']Not really sure why people are getting so upset over this. The OP clearly states YMMV.

The cards in question haven't been in stock for many months now. Get over it![/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's a clearance sale. I haven't seen the blister pack cards in my local store for a long time. That's like getting mad when they don't have a certain clearance game.

[quote name='Masquerade']I guess this is valid for anywhere in NJ. Might check around.[/QUOTE]

They knew about it at a few stores in Indianapolis, IN., but only one store (I found) would honor the prices that were stuck up... One store didnt even sell the cards, just the 39.99 4000 points... The one stores manager is the one who went through 45 minutes of chaos (and a spider bite lmao, some customer I guess) to get it to work out for me...

I personally believe, as did they, if the prices are posted, you honor them. It didnt specify other than 1600 microsoft points or whatever on the sale tag, and he agreed it was stupid to have them put up on the new ones as well, to which it didnt apply. But, it is ymmv by far, hopefully other managers will agree and you guys will get some :D Just be nice to em, and they alot of times will do their best to satisfy the customer...

Irving, TX only had the $10 off deal for the $50 card...

But they had like 6 or so Resistance 2 CE for $29.99. Its funny how the regular edition was $59.99...

Went to the only TRU left here in Spokane, WA. They only had the 12+1 month live subscription cards for $39.99, $10 off the normal price; I picked one up. Looked high and low for any other cards, 1600 points or anything, but they just had the live card. They had a bunch left though, if anyone is interested. I don't expire til december, so I'm gonna hang onto this for awhile and see if I can get a better deal anywhere else.

bread's done
Back