Xbox Live to be discontinued for original Xbox games:

Well, I was a little more depressed about this yesterday. Hadn't had the Xbox on for the last 6 months, so plugged it in (had it in the other room for nieces/nephews to play when I was playing something else). I popped in Crimson Skies, and no one was on. Waited over 5 minutes, no games were starting.

If that's how it is now, then I'm a bit sad for them to go, but it is what it is.

[quote name='Trakan']I'll shit my pants with joy if they were to re-release Halo 1/2 with online.

That said, it'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

It would be awesome, but it definitely won't happen. With Reach coming out in the fall, I doubt they have the time or manpower to do such a project like the God of War collection.

However, they could just throw Halo 2 up on Arcade. I'd really love to see a Halo 1 Arcade title though. I'd be all over it. The full game with online for 1600pts. It would be a huge hit.

[quote name='rusty']It would be awesome, but it definitely won't happen. With Reach coming out in the fall, I doubt they have the time or manpower to do such a project like the God of War collection.

However, they could just throw Halo 2 up on Arcade. I'd really love to see a Halo 1 Arcade title though. I'd be all over it. The full game with online for 1600pts. It would be a huge hit.[/QUOTE]

They're too stupid to do it. If they're strictly porting it, Bungie doesn't need to do it. Anyone can.

It'll still never happen.

[quote name='Trakan']They're too stupid to do it. If they're strictly porting it, Bungie doesn't need to do it. Anyone can.

It'll still never happen.[/QUOTE]

The more you guys talk about this the more I want it to actually happen.

"we are aware that xbox v1 users are currently unable to access downloadable content via xbox live, both for the original console and xbox originals on xbox 360. The team is actively working on resolving this issue so that the xbox v1 community can continue downloading content until april 15." -ms to joystiq

fyi

We need a way to make it known, that we want Halo 1/Halo 2 on Marketplace. Its MS, if they see that enough people would buy it, and see that it is a money-making opportunity for them, why wouldn't they do it?

Strange. I decided to throw Phantom Dust in my 360 and I was able to download both of the DLC content that was available for it. Microsoft mentioned they were actively working to put DLC back online... or did they just not bother taking this down in the first place?

Anybody else find any DLC that is still available?

[quote name='Scorch']They took down paid DLC.. dunno about free DLC[/QUOTE]

How is this something that nobody has noticed until now?

[quote name='reddjoey']DLC for Xbox v1 content should be back up. Community was totally right on this point. - Marc Whitten XBL Honcho[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Got Yavin station for KOTOR that was my main worry.

Still surprised they won't keep it up forever considering most content is free and not many people will d/l it. Anyways has anyone did the transfer kit/back it up by other means with any issues? I'm going to go get all the DLC right now.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Still surprised they won't keep it up forever considering most content is free and not many people will d/l it. Anyways has anyone did the transfer kit/back it up by other means with any issues? I'm going to go get all the DLC right now.[/QUOTE]

You pretty much answered your own question there. I bet the downloads for this stuff is pretty low. MS is probably losing money on this and figured that since few were downloading it, they could remove it without much blowback. But removing it was a PR disaster IMO. Now you have people angry about having content they paid for not being available again. And I think that will trickle down to XBox 360 users thinking about their DLC. I've always been selective about buying DLC. But now I'll never get anything else from them. I really wanted to get MvsC2 for 800 pts. because my Dreamcast has died. But now I'll suck it up and buy another Dreamcast instead.

[quote name='mogamer']But now I'll never get anything else from them. I really wanted to get MvsC2 for 800 pts. because my Dreamcast has died. But now I'll suck it up and buy another Dreamcast instead.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I think a lot of people are making a huge deal over this sort of thing. It could be another ten years before any 360 DLC could be taken down. Really, will any of us be playing any of that content online by that point?

I don't really plan on stopping at this point.

[quote name='uglyteradon']Seriously? I think a lot of people are making a huge deal over this sort of thing. It could be another ten years before any 360 DLC could be taken down. Really, will any of us be playing any of that content online by that point?

I don't really plan on stopping at this point.[/QUOTE]
There are still old pc games with active communities. If something is good, why not play it? Just look at what's been going on in the last few years. Plenty of old games getting re-released and being played. While other games never disappeared (i.e. UT99, Counter Strike, Quake III). Also some people have spent pretty large sums of money on DLC. Having it disappear in a few years isn't trivial.

Now MS has a clear track record of killing dlc when it suits them. They did the same thing with their online music store.

Eh, I'd say 5+ years for a game being online is plenty for the consoles. Halo 3 surpassed Halo 2 online, and the newer Ghost Recon's surpassed the older ones, and so forth. Only a few games never got proper sequels/surpassed (Wheres Counter Strike Source? Phantom Dust was in It's own league, and I still love Crimson Skies.) but the majority of old XBox Live games will be forgotten for their online play.

[quote name='mogamer']There are still old pc games with active communities. If something is good, why not play it? Just look at what's been going on in the last few years. Plenty of old games getting re-released and being played. While other games never disappeared (i.e. UT99, Counter Strike, Quake III). Also some people have spent pretty large sums of money on DLC. Having it disappear in a few years isn't trivial.

Now MS has a clear track record of killing dlc when it suits them. They did the same thing with their online music store.[/QUOTE]

I would actually like to see the traffic numbers on the top ten X-Box games. I just think that the X-Box had a good run... and this was really inevitable. Anybody that would like to download any of that original DLC now has a chance to before it's gone. I'm sure somebody will figure out a way to host all of this DLC again.

Microsoft should have just made it all free.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I would actually like to see the traffic numbers on the top ten X-Box games. I just think that the X-Box had a good run... and this was really inevitable. Anybody that would like to download any of that original DLC now has a chance to before it's gone. I'm sure somebody will figure out a way to host all of this DLC again.

Microsoft should have just made it all free.[/QUOTE]

I plan on modding my OG xbox soon and I figure someone will figure out how to get DLC on there and to get a server running for online games....Or I could just buy the PC version of Battlefront 2. :)

bread's done
Back