xbox one for families

Yo Mama

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I have been vaguely keeping up with all the xbox one problems, but I have not kept up with all the discussion on CAG, please close if this is a repeat.

"Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house."

Does this mean we can form groups of 10 people each, have one person buy a game at full price, share the game, then have someone else, one of my newly found 9 brothers, buy the next game at full price, share the game....

It could be I would imagine. But you would need that same 10 friends for every game you get. Also I think this is one of the things MS says will not even be able to do at the consoles launch.

That is, roughly, how I read the feature as working.

Only 1 family member can play each game.  It's unclear whether all 10 of your friends could each be playing a different game from your library at the same time.  With a group of 10 people, you won't all be able to play the latest Call of Duty (or Halo or Forza) just because someone bought it.  But the sharing feature has the potential for replacing casual lending to friends.

It won't be available at launch.

You didn't quote the entire thing.

------------------------------------

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

-----------------------------------

I was watching Giant Bomb's interpretation of this (it was linked here) and I have to agree with them.  All of this shit was clearly written by lawyers and it's all worded in such a way that it's almost there to fool you.

"You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

- NOTE: That says "any one" not "anyone".  In other words, you have 10 people in your family.  You can play anytime anywhere.  Of those 10 people you added, ONLY ONE OF THEM can play.  Also..."shared library" is a currently undefined term.  We don't know what that means.  We don't know how big it can be.  We don't know if the publishers can decide if a game can go into it at all.  We don't know ANYTHING about it. 

Still. That means 10 people can each buy 1 game and then rotate games. While only 1 person plays the game at a time you get to rotate 10 games

Still. That means 10 people can each buy 1 game and then rotate games. While only 1 person plays the game at a time you get to rotate 10 games
Yeah and you can do that right now. 10 people can buy 1 game each and rotate physical copies of games. This is a lot worse than the current setup because right now all 10 people can play at once and those games can be resold anywhere AND played offline....etc etc etc..

The funny thing about all of this is that they've written these documents up in such a way as to give the appearance that they're being "good guys" by "giving" you all this stuff. yeah, EVERYTHING they're giving you - YOU ALREADY HAVE except better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and you can do that right now. 10 people can buy 1 game each and rotate physical copies of games. This is a lot worse than the current setup because right now all 10 people can play at once and those games can be resold anywhere AND played offline....etc etc etc..

The funny thing about all of this is that they've written these documents up in such a way as to give the appearance that they're being "good guys" by "giving" you all this stuff. yeah, EVERYTHING they're giving you - YOU ALREADY HAVE except better.
That's not entirely true.

With this new scheme, a group of 10 people can all play the same game at the same time if 5 of them buy it. That isn't possible with disc trading/lending. Also, XBLA sharing isn't possible today. If XBLA games are sharable, then they would also benefit from being playable by others.

It's an interesting proposal to solve the casual lending that is currently possible today. It also solves the problem of me buying games that my son wants to be able to play at a friend's house.

Of course, this won't be available at launch, so there is no reason to pre-order the console if this is the primary feature you are interested in.

That's not entirely true.

With this new scheme, a group of 10 people can all play the same game at the same time if 5 of them buy it. That isn't possible with disc trading/lending. Also, XBLA sharing isn't possible today. If XBLA games are sharable, then they would also benefit from being playable by others.

It's an interesting proposal to solve the casual lending that is currently possible today. It also solves the problem of me buying games that my son wants to be able to play at a friend's house.

Of course, this won't be available at launch, so there is no reason to pre-order the console if this is the primary feature you are interested in.
There's also not a lot of detail about how it will work. Most likely the publisher gets to decide if a game can be in the "shared game library" which in reality means only 1st party games would be sharable. Then on top of that, is there a limit to the size of your "shared game library"? Also, how do you add people to your family? Are they going to have to have a sub-account under yours?

edit:

Upon further thought, what you said isn't strictly true for XBLA games. You can have someone play on your "home console" and YOU can play on ANY console. The same game at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back