Xbox One is failing already? UPDATED

I figured there would be some problems at launch, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. Here's hoping everything is fixed by the time I get the Xbox One. 

How is everyone's headset? Mine has a rattling noise whenever I move my head. I've never used another one though, so I don't know if this is how all of them are. Maybe I'll contact Microsoft about it. It's pretty annoying.

My story:

I got my xbox on launch day from amazon. That same night my wife and I drove 11 hours to Ny to visit family for the Holidays. I finally got to hook up my xbox one at my moms house and it kept failing during the update. I know it's not an internet connection because everything else works perfectly fine. I went through Microsoft support for 2 days then the finally offered to replace it. They are sending me a new one then I need to send mine back after I receive it. Since I am in Ny and won't be back until Saturday I am having it shipped to my job. Obviously this is extremely frustrating but I guess I just got back luck this time. I talked Microsoft into giving me a free year of xbox live and a token for a free game, though. If anyone cares I will update this post on the progress.

Update #1: I didn't receive an email with confirmation on the process. I contacted xbox support and they said the support agent I talked to yesterday basically lied and didn't process anything. To make matters worse, I was directed to a website that is "currently having problems" so I couldn't even process the request now. Then I was transferred to someone else and got a message saying the support agent hours are over since it's 5:00 pm. What a load of horse shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you guys think its worth buying a Standard edition X1 now? My Target has several in stock and I get one for $450 (have a 10% off coupon good for anything in the store) and I have some GC's so it would be around $400 out of pocket.  I already have a PS4 though so not sure what I'd play on it right away besides Forza.

Judging from the videos I've seen, it's any disc. But most of the ones I seen were using CoD: Ghosts, Madden NFL 25 or NBA 2K14 game discs.
That would correlate with those being the popular general games that are very mainstream thus having a higher probability of showing up in these videos.

Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue right now, but mine's having data issues. 2/3 games I"ve got have booted missing the save data, and after trying to fix the issue with tech support, the third game now refuses to get past initial startup.

Nothing like this that I know of... I attribute that 2/3 to Nintendo's good quality control, and 1/3 to them playing it a little safe with their hardware and going "innovative" rather than "bleeding edge" like Xbox and PS.

do you guys think its worth buying a Standard edition X1 now? My Target has several in stock and I get one for $450 (have a 10% off coupon good for anything in the store) and I have some GC's so it would be around $400 out of pocket. I already have a PS4 though so not sure what I'd play on it right away besides Forza.
I don't really have an answer but as someone who has an Xb1 (opened) and a PS4 (still in the box), I found your interesting. Essentially, you're not so enamored with the PS4 that you wouldn't consider spending $400 OOP on an XB1 while you're also not so hyped for the Xb1 that you would be immediately willing to pay $100 less OOP than retail for it.

I kind of relate to this.

Nothing like this that I know of... I attribute that 2/3 to Nintendo's good quality control, and 1/3 to them playing it a little safe with their hardware and going "innovative" rather than "bleeding edge" like Xbox and PS.
There's also the fact that the Wii U didn't launch with nearly the numbers that the PS4 and XBox One have seen. The Wii U didn't see nearly as many units shipped, or nearly as much frothing demand as we've seen this year. And yes, Nintendo hardware is notoriously stable.

We might see some more production issues crop up over the next few months, but hopefully not. At the moment the present failure rates are within acceptable norms. It would be nice to see one of these launches actually go well, and avoid the specter of sweeping failure rates. As long as things remain at the current level, I will chalk this up as a solid hardware launch all around.

The problem your going to see now is gifts from XMas, so your going to see more disc drive failures as probably the most common.

Reading boards and the xbox forums, the one that seems to be the most common after periods of use is Kinect sensors randomly dieng. Doesn't seem like a huge loss to me though lol, I can wait a few days for a new shipment.

Other issues include the hard disc drive constantly making reading noises even idle which seems to be common on my house/laptops, It's just that the system is so quiet that the noise can become a nuisance.

Power brick fan's are sometimes shoddy in terms of noise. MS should have had a quieter power brick fan. The thing is more noisey then my entire system itself.

Other issues are games quitting to dashboard (seems to be game related, and It's only happening to me in KI now, but looks to happen to everyone in Battlefield 4) or games losing saves (Again, game related Battlefield 4.)

I've also read Battlefield 4 giving consoles the black screen of death, IE the system turns on but It's a solid black screen with no picture. Almost everyone on the xbox boards had the issue with Battlefield 4, so maybe BF4 even kills systems.

Avoid Battlefield 4 at all costs from what I've read so far.

The problem your going to see now is gifts from XMas, so your going to see more disc drive failures as probably the most common.

Reading boards and the xbox forums, the one that seems to be the most common after periods of use is Kinect sensors randomly dieng. Doesn't seem like a huge loss to me though lol, I can wait a few days for a new shipment.

Other issues include the hard disc drive constantly making reading noises even idle which seems to be common on my house/laptops, It's just that the system is so quiet that the noise can become a nuisance.

Power brick fan's are sometimes shoddy in terms of noise. MS should have had a quieter power brick fan. The thing is more noisey then my entire system itself.

Other issues are games quitting to dashboard (seems to be game related, and It's only happening to me in KI now, but looks to happen to everyone in Battlefield 4) or games losing saves (Again, game related Battlefield 4.)

I've also read Battlefield 4 giving consoles the black screen of death, IE the system turns on but It's a solid black screen with no picture. Almost everyone on the xbox boards had the issue with Battlefield 4, so maybe BF4 even kills systems.

Avoid Battlefield 4 at all costs from what I've read so far.
my power brick makes zero noise

my power brick makes zero noise
Cool man. I can't hear mine anyways when I'm playing games, It's only when the room is dead silent.

More issues that seem common/known: My friend is having some controller issues with the wireless cutting out. He doesn't have a play and charge kit or a usb cable (lol, I know) to test wired yet, but it cut out a few times while we were playing KI. Looking at the MS forums he might need a console replacement as 90% of the time it isn't the controllers themselves. But I guess he'll find out come XMas when he gets his play and charge kit and a second controller.

This is definitely the last launch console I'll get, but overall seems like MS has done a lot better with the kinks pending theres no RROD fiasco in the next year or two. It's just a matter of patching the system to make the O/S run smoother.

bread's done
Back