top 25 most dangerous cities

[quote name='Lootr2Core']is North Dakota cities dead last?[/quote]

They should be. When I lived at Minot that was the safest I ever felt in my life. Great place IMO.

Oh what the hell does the internet know anyway... nice to see Detroit is #2 on this list as well as being #1 on the fattest cities list. There's an obvious correlation there.

I could post my thoughts on that comment, having lived with three black guys for the better part of the past four years, but I won't... and no they wouldn't be "flames" towards stemartin.

Lol, Ohio is on there three times. I didn't think Dayton was that bad. Of course, I've only visited the area around Wright-Patt. Cleveland is bad, but not as bad as some parts of New Jersey.

I'm from a suburb of Cleveland, but I live in Akron right now. The campus is nice, the city sucks.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Though, a question to those in birmingham, is it still a very racist city? Seeing as I've never been to birmingham (or alabama), and don't know anyone from there, the only time I ever hear about it is when talking about racial violence durng the civil rights era, when it was known as bombingham.[/quote]

I've never experienced significant racial tension here. I mean sure, you have your patches of people who still hold leftover anger towards black or white people (obviously it comes on both ends) but I've never seen it go beyond that. People pretty much seem to get along here...or at least they act like they do, which is all you can ask for.

And I'm talking even in the suburbs and outerlying areas. Downtown Birmingham itself is a relatively progressive area. There are DEFINITELY no race problems to be found in that area anymore. As the guy before me mentioned, you can stroll through Five Points and see all sorts of people...although you may encounter a panhandler or two...or three.

I had some problems being one of the only white guys in pretty much all-black schools growing up, even from some of the teachers...but I think that's a problem that could happen in many areas where the race ratio is so skewed towards one group.

I newk the good ols atl was getin rough. # 3 next year its number one. That way the rappers have more credit! ?I need to get out and do some crimes. Hey you have to be good at something!

Oh yeah don't leave your doors unlocked here!

[quote name='stemartin7']How come most of these cities have a big black population :D[/quote]

[quote name='danny-o']One thing I noticed...These cities are all high on the "multicultural" meter.[/quote]

:(
I noticed that too. Unfortunately some of these places are re-enforcing stereotypes. I wish it wasn't the case but truth is truth. As a black person myself, I am saddened by this because it doesn't have to be this way. It's part of the reason I vow to never go back to Washington DC ever again. The place is a shithole. Instead of residents being defensive about the negative reports in these places they need to look at themselves and determine if this is what they want to be known for.

[quote name='help1']wow, not one NY city is on that list....[/quote]

See I hate that....not judging you or anything...

But people always think that NYC is a slummy, dangerous, bad place...and have never been there!

:roll:

NY 4ever

[quote name='btw1217'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='sketch226']I knew Atlanta had to be towards the top of that list. I live about 50 miles away and frankly I'd prefer another 50. Scary place- especially at night.[/quote]

awww.....c'mon!!! there are definitely parts of town i never go to (for safety reasons) but there are some really nice parts as well. I've lived all over atlanta, and i live here now. Yes, it sucks. Yes, there is racial tension. Yes, I'm moving out of here next year. But #3 most dangerous? Wow. :shock: I had no idea I was that hardcore....[/quote]

I walked through the streets of Five Points (I think it was Five Points. It was the predominantly African American section) by myself during Music Midtown weekend, and had no problems. I think I was the only white person for miles, but other than a few offers to be sold drugs and pistols, it was alright. It was kind of cool though, cause every "retailer" was blasting uncensored rap as loud as they could. Some have amps/speakers set up outside their doors. It was a new experience.[/quote]

Yeah, I go to Georgia State University and the campus is downtown - smack in the middle of the area you were in. I take the train into the 5 points station every day, and its....interesting to say the least. At the times of day when i'm there, there is usually an ethnically diverse group of people, but i've definitely seen some crazy shit down there. it is a rathole. My house is actually in Decatur - a much nicer subcity of atlanta. I'm close enough to downtown to make it be safer, but i'm not in the suburbs (soccer mom hell) either.

I'll say this: while i don't often actually see racism in action, there is definitely a very tangible racial tension here - from ALL sides. Here's the math:

Dirty South hip-hop + traditionally redneck white people + humid as shit climate + horrible traffic and mass transit problems = HELL ON EARTH

[quote name='danny-o']One thing I noticed...These cities are all high on the "multicultural" meter.[/quote]

These cities are also on high not only the being the poorest, but the highest disparity in wealth.

Race doesn't breed Crime. Being broke as poor does. A lot of poor people are minorities.

NYC is really high on the "multicultral" meter, but since most of our people are doing okay, we're not trying to rob one another.

[quote name='organicow']
I'll say this: while i don't often actually see racism in action, there is definitely a very tangible racial tension here - from ALL sides. Here's the math:

Dirty South hip-hop + traditionally redneck white people + humid as shit climate + horrible traffic and mass transit problems = HELL ON EARTH[/quote]

I second that. :)

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='stemartin7']How come most of these cities have a big black population :D[/quote]

:(
I noticed that too. Unfortunately some of these places are re-enforcing stereotypes. I wish it wasn't the case but truth is truth. As a black person myself, I am saddened by this because it doesn't have to be this way. It's part of the reason I vow to never go back to Washington DC ever again. The place is a shithole. Instead of residents being defensive about the negative reports in these places they need to look at themselves and determine if this is what they want to be known for.[/quote]

Two of my three roommates are re-enforcing the stereotypes lately, really hurts that they'd do that too.

yeah, i have 3 friends from my neighborhood (all black) and they are all re-inforcing that stereotype as well. i know many black people that don't do anything illegal, but this just makes them look bad because of what others are doing.

bread's done
Back