Xbox Owner Sues Over Defective Disk Drives

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Xbox Owner Sues Over Defective Disk Drives

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A video game fan upset over a failed disc drive in his Xbox video game console has sued Microsoft Corp. on behalf of all Xbox owners across the United States..
Read more...

I was JUST going to post this! beat me by 10min.

This is a bit frivolous though...boo-hoo..stuff happens.

there is a reason why a company will only warranty a product for X period of time.

I hope MS cracks and starts offering free repair for out of warranty like Sony did, for Thomson drives... I'm about to buy a new Xbox because my Thomson drive is failing.

[quote name='Spiritseed']Woo-hoo I am on my 6th one now. What a baby[/quote]

Some see the plaintiff as a baby for suing Microsoft;

Others see you as a fool for purchasing 6 units of the same console.

The failure of Xbox consoles (mostly the Thomson drives) is common knowledge; perhaps not as much as PS2s, but common regardless.

Shouldn't a company be held accountable?

From the article: "We've designed and manufactured the Xbox with the highest quality standards and our customer satisfaction is very high," the company said in a statement.

Given a choice between "highest quality standards" and "cheapest parts," which do you think MS (or any company, for that matter) chooses?

myke.

After hearing about the so called Thompson drive I asked on line for opinions about whether it was worth trouble to get a different one. Public opinion was split about 50/50, incluing the people who have "had my thomspon xbox since launch and it works perfectly, noob" but anyways I got a Phillips (I blieve that's it with the penis shaped cut in the disc drive) on my first try so it saved me the hassle of having to return it overand over til I got a good one.

about fuking time, i personally had to send my xbox in for repairs 3 times because of those errors. thank fully i bought the extended warranty and it didnt cost me anything but at least 2 of my friends who didnt had to buy new xbox's because the cost of repair was too much. i hope this rings a bell with msft.

its good to see this. if ms wont take responsability for their own poor production of their products (the way sony has with the dre's) maybe a court will make them.

yes a warranty only goes for a year, but THE PRODUCT SHOULD LAST FOR A LONG TIME IF IT'S WELL MAINTAINED! theres no reason for xboxes that have been well kept to just die, other than poor production quality.

[quote name='Spiritseed']Woo-hoo I am on my 6th one now. What a baby[/quote]

I, like the above poster, see this as a bad thing. Sure you aren't crying about buying a new one when it breaks, but you should be pissed off.

Yeah I also hope they offer out of warranty repairs on thomson drives, mines biting the dust and I can't afford a new Xbox.

I have a launch Xbox with a Thomson that's still going strong, but this could be good news anyway if Microsoft goes with a free replacement policy.

I wonder if it's possible to getting on this lawsuit if you no longer have the xbox in question because it was already trashed due to a malfunctioning drive? On my second xbox personally, although I still have the receipt and original box for my original launch model. I would love to get some kind of compensation equal to what I actually paid for the machine, but I would settle for another machine since the current xbox is on the Fritz as we speak and may not continue working much longer.. {Sega bundle xbox model}

My personal opinion is that if you had an xbox, but replaced it when it failed and you kept the receipt then you will get something.

I was in a class action suit against Phillips for a CDR drive.

I had already replaced my drive so I received a $200 rebate to purchase a Phillips product. They would pay up to 80% of the purchase price. I picked up a DVD Player for $200. This was about 4 years ago.

They sent me a check for $160...

[quote name='punqsux']its good to see this. if ms wont take responsability for their own poor production of their products (the way sony has with the dre's) maybe a court will make them.

yes a warranty only goes for a year, but THE PRODUCT SHOULD LAST FOR A LONG TIME IF IT'S WELL MAINTAINED! theres no reason for xboxes that have been well kept to just die, other than poor production quality.[/quote]

The Xbox warranty is 90 days... Nintendo has a year warranty.

Good. Hopefully we'll be able to get in on this. I've bought my Xbox a year after launch. I've taken pristine care of it and the drive sucks. I rented Star Wars: Battlefront the other day and it takes forever for things to load up. There are some discs that it won't even read when there is not a scratch on them.

I actually bought Outrun 2 today and my system was refusing to allow it to play. After my 10th attempt to boot it up it finally gave in. I hope i can get in on this if something goes down.

HIGH FIVE TO THAT GUY!!!

If you have a Thompson drive and they try to charge you to upgrade to a Samsung, report them to the BBB.. Microsoft then offers a free Samsung drive.

has anyone tried to sue sony for having so many PS2s break ?

I doubt this guy will win, but it's kinda cool and I hope that it makes the consoles makers want to make their systems more tough. It seems like nintendo is the only company that cares about making their stuff take a beating. I used the beat the hell out of my NES and that thing still works.

[quote name='punqsux']its good to see this. if ms wont take responsability for their own poor production of their products (the way sony has with the dre's) maybe a court will make them.[/quote]

Didn't a court make Sony do this also? Wasn't it a class action lawsuit?

The guy has a case. It's like someone making a DVD player and then all of a sudden the DVD's won't work in it.. I think he'd be likely to win..

Ive had my Xbox for over a year, and Im glad that Ive had no problems with my Xbox's DVD drive. I hope this person does win, so we get free drive replacements like Sony does.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='punqsux']its good to see this. if ms wont take responsability for their own poor production of their products (the way sony has with the dre's) maybe a court will make them.[/quote]

Didn't a court make Sony do this also? Wasn't it a class action lawsuit?[/quote]

i dont believe so, but i could be wrong.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']What happened to CAGbot?[/quote]

i think big nick killed him[/quote]

Pounded him into potato fertilizer with his hamfist...

I wish that article had more info. If I had to guess, I'd say that this is an opt-out class action, meaning everyone who bought an Xbox since that date would be in the class unless they specifically notify the court that the want out.

Could be good, maybe Micorsoft will settle and offer people free repairs and maybe a free game or something.

Speaking of video game lawsuits, I'd love to know if anything else has happened with Sega's patent infringement lawsuit against Simpsons: Road Rage.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']
Could be good, maybe Micorsoft will settle and offer people free repairs and maybe a free game or something.

Speaking of video game lawsuits, I'd love to know if anything else has happened with Sega's patent infringement lawsuit against Simpsons: Road Rage.[/quote]
I doubt Microsoft would give away a free game for replacing a DVD drive.
And I would also like to know what happened to the Road Rage lawsuit.

I doubt that everyone who has a Thompson drive will get something. If your unit is working fine, why would Microsoft be obligated to replace it? I would guess that if Microsoft loses, they would have to repair/replace the defective ones only. So bascically the guy who traded his Thompson drive because he was worried probably won't get anything.

I just got a new copy of PoP:TSOT, And ever so often, the action will slow to a crawl, then it goes to a black screen that says my disc is dirty or damaged. I hate the Thompson drives with a passion. All my discs work on my dads Xbox, but half to 75% don't work on mine. I hope he wins this lawsuit, cause I don't have $84.99 to have my Xbox fixed.

I've got a Thomson drive in my Xbox as well, and new release games have been struggling to start-up. I must open and close the machine 3-5 times in order for it to boot DOA: Ultimate. I've kept it, along with my other systems, in perfect condition BTW.

so there is no information available yet? halo 2 isn't playing in my system. you need to turn it on and off like 5 times to get it to work.

bread's done
Back