XBOX problem

Terabyte7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
I'm having a problem with my XBOX and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and/or knows how to fix it without damaging the system. Basically my CD tray will not open. When I turn the system on, the XBOX jewel blinks like when it's loading or is going to open the cd tray, but it doesn't open and just keeps blinking. When I hit the eject button, the XBOX shifts to the main system menu, won't open the CD tray, and won't read the disc anymore until I power down the system. I've tried to gently pry open the tray with no luck, as well as leaving the system powered down and unplugged for a day. It's not a big deal at the moment, at least not until I'm done going through KOTOR again, but at some point in time I'm going to want to play something else, and my wife is itching to get back into Fable. Anyone got any ideas?

It's happened to me before, the problem usually is the tray getting of the tracks. If you are handy it's easy to fix (If you don't mind opening up your xbox). There are a bunch of guides online on how to do this. Google it or pm for a link if you can't find anything.

It's really easy to do.

[quote name='Terabyte7']I'm having a problem with my XBOX and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and/or knows how to fix it without damaging the system. Basically my CD tray will not open. When I turn the system on, the XBOX jewel blinks like when it's loading or is going to open the cd tray, but it doesn't open and just keeps blinking. When I hit the eject button, the XBOX shifts to the main system menu, won't open the CD tray, and won't read the disc anymore until I power down the system. I've tried to gently pry open the tray with no luck, as well as leaving the system powered down and unplugged for a day. It's not a big deal at the moment, at least not until I'm done going through KOTOR again, but at some point in time I'm going to want to play something else, and my wife is itching to get back into Fable. Anyone got any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Call 1-800-4my-xbox and buy a 1 year serverice plan for 19.95 and send it in for repair.

[quote name='help1']Call 1-800-4my-xbox and buy a 1 year serverice plan for 19.95 and send it in for repair.[/QUOTE]

This is what I would recommend. However easy it may be to fix, you don't want to void your warranty. More expensive problems could come along and then you're definitely on your own.

[quote name='Terabyte7']If I send it in for repair, I can kiss my KOTOR disc goodbye...[/QUOTE]
Try this first:
On the front of the console to the right of the disc tray, there is a tiny little hole. That is the manual eject switch. Straighten a paperclip, stick it in there (with your system OFF), and BAM, out comes the tray! Once you get your game out, close the tray, and power up your system. If it still doesn't work, do what Help1 said above - but at least you won't lose your game!!

[quote name='help1']Call 1-800-4my-xbox and buy a 1 year serverice plan for 19.95 and send it in for repair.[/QUOTE]

That would be dishonest, jackass.

If you don't want to void the warranty picking up the service plan is the way to go. Plus, since you are paying the $19.95 for it I wouldn't feel bad about sending it in. The reason you buy the plan is to protect yourself in case your xbox breaks down.

[quote name='BigB']That would be dishonest, jackass.[/QUOTE]

People buy these plans to protect their investments (consoles). Think of it as a sick person buying insurance. Same principle applies.

[quote name='craven_fiend']So says the guy who leaves people high and dry in double team.[/QUOTE]

Ahaha, my thoughts exactly. What a fucking prick.

[quote name='organicow']Try this first:
On the front of the console to the right of the disc tray, there is a tiny little hole. That is the manual eject switch. Straighten a paperclip, stick it in there (with your system OFF), and BAM, out comes the tray! Once you get your game out, close the tray, and power up your system. If it still doesn't work, do what Help1 said above - but at least you won't lose your game!![/QUOTE]

Thanks organicow for the tip. I was able to get my disc out, and after a couple manual ejects, the tray started auto-ejecting on it's own again, so I'm good until it gets stuck again. :)

Excellent! Glad I could help. When my XB got struck by lightning last month, the little manual eject trick was the only thing that kept me from losing my copy of Halo 2.
WHEW!

bread's done
Back