Xbox360 Fan?

JQuizzle757

CAG Veteran
I just got the RROD and when my xbox360 gets back i would like to have a fan some people say some of the fans are bad to use do you know of any that are good and at a good price too???

I just got the new Intercooler TS. It runs off it's own power, so it doesn't leach off the 360s power like the old ones that used to burn out systems. You can get it on amazon or buy.com for under 20$.

I wouldn't go near them, they absorb power from your 360 and makes the red rings more frequent and increases the chance of it happening. I recommend just putting it a well ventilated area where it gets room to breathe.

[quote name='SSJGodzilla']I wouldn't go near them, they absorb power from your 360 and makes the red rings more frequent and increases the chance of it happening. I recommend just putting it a well ventilated area where it gets room to breathe.[/quote]

Yeah. I keep mine standing with the a good six inches or so of free space in every direction (it's in one of those speaker shelves (no back) of a small entertainment center I got on the cheap at K-Mart years ago.

[quote name='SSJGodzilla']I wouldn't go near them, they absorb power from your 360 and makes the red rings more frequent and increases the chance of it happening. I recommend just putting it a well ventilated area where it gets room to breathe.[/quote]

Ummm how do the ones with their own power supply adsorb power from the 360? You shouldn't spread false information by generalizing all cooling devices.

[quote name='opterasis']I just got the new Intercooler TS. It runs off it's own power, so it doesn't leach off the 360s power like the old ones that used to burn out systems. You can get it on amazon or buy.com for under 20$.[/quote]
Is that the one that will run after the system is off??

The reason they're bad even if you get the one with its own power supply, is because having fans on top of fans is never a good thing. The 360 has its own exhaust fan, and the only thing you do by having an intercooler, is make an obstacle for the hot air inside the 360 to get out.

I'm trying to think of how I can explain this. Let's say, the hot air the fan DOES catch actually moves out faster. That's what having more fans does. Even if THAT air moves out faster, there's hot air that's blocked from escaping because the intercooler is there to begin with.

That's what causes RROD faster. When you want to have air move better in a hot computer/game system, you replace the stock fans with more powerful fans. Sadly, doing this with the 360 causes you to void your warranty.

The best thing to do, unfortunately, is to just either let your 360 sit in normal temperature so it "fails" faster and you get warranty replacement sooner, or keep it horizontal with a good room fan.

[quote name='NamelessMC']The reason they're bad even if you get the one with its own power supply, is because having fans on top of fans is never a good thing. The 360 has its own exhaust fan, and the only thing you do by having an intercooler, is make an obstacle for the hot air inside the 360 to get out.

I'm trying to think of how I can explain this. Let's say, the hot air the fan DOES catch actually moves out faster. That's what having more fans does. Even if THAT air moves out faster, there's hot air that's blocked from escaping because the intercooler is there to begin with.

That's what causes RROD faster. When you want to have air move better in a hot computer/game system, you replace the stock fans with more powerful fans. Sadly, doing this with the 360 causes you to void your warranty.

The best thing to do, unfortunately, is to just either let your 360 sit in normal temperature so it "fails" faster and you get warranty replacement sooner, or keep it horizontal with a good room fan.[/quote]what about getting a fan to set on the bottom?

I just got the E74 error for the first time yesterday, and again on start up today. After i restart everything works fine, but im assuming it will just get worse as it goes along. After reading the reviews for the Intercooler TS from buyers on Amazon i got one. While it probably wont solve anything, at least it may "slow" the eventual demise down somewhat. So im giving it a shot, thanks for starting this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a laptop cooler for mine. I simply plug it into the USB port of my Xbox. (This does not block the fans in the back, but sits underneath to keep the system at least a little bit cooler.)

[quote name='NamelessMC']The reason they're bad even if you get the one with its own power supply, is because having fans on top of fans is never a good thing. The 360 has its own exhaust fan, and the only thing you do by having an intercooler, is make an obstacle for the hot air inside the 360 to get out.

The best thing to do, unfortunately, is to just either let your 360 sit in normal temperature so it "fails" faster and you get warranty replacement sooner, or keep it horizontal with a good room fan.[/quote]

Like you said, RRoDs are usually caused by heat issues. All I know is even in a well ventilated spot, my 360 got a too warm for my liking, and with the intercooler on it, my 360 stays alot cooler even after 5 or 6 hours of playing. Now I don't know a damn thing about the physics of it all, but as long as the intercooler fans are moving more air, or moving it faster than the stock 360 fans, it wouldn't really be an obsticle at all, would it?

i wouldnt get the fan i bought one once after i got the red ring of death, and a few months later got it again and when i took the fan off to swap the system out the actual fan was as black as charcoal and this was before the elite came out

[quote name='jpeterross']i wouldnt get the fan i bought one once after i got the red ring of death, and a few months later got it again and when i took the fan off to swap the system out the actual fan was as black as charcoal and this was before the elite came out[/quote]

Umm without more details that could sound like the area you have the 360 is way too dusty or someones a smoker, and is clogging up all the fans, and that may be why you keep getting RRoDs.

[quote name='opterasis']Like you said, RRoDs are usually caused by heat issues. All I know is even in a well ventilated spot, my 360 got a too warm for my liking, and with the intercooler on it, my 360 stays alot cooler even after 5 or 6 hours of playing. Now I don't know a damn thing about the physics of it all, but as long as the intercooler fans are moving more air, or moving it faster than the stock 360 fans, it wouldn't really be an obsticle at all, would it?[/quote]

Well, the thing is, by putting that extra piece of plastic on the back of the system, you're creating one more obstacle for the hot air to get caught in. That's what he was talking about.

And while, yes, the system generally fails because of heat issues, if your 360 is going to fail, it's going to fail, with or without the Intercooler. The few extra degrees that might drop off really won't save it.

As long as you don't have the system in a hot room, and it's well ventilated, you should be fine, in the sense that a system that isn't destined to fail won't.

[quote name='heartagram311']I have a laptop cooler for mine. I simply plug it into the USB port of my Xbox. (This does not block the fans in the back, but sits underneath to keep the system at least a little bit cooler.)[/quote]

I agree, I've used a laptop chill pad for a while now and when you turn it on you can feel the extra heat being forced out of the system. It's a cheap and fairly quite alternative.

I was going to suggest a laptop fan (chill pad) also... Or you could just put a small free standing fan (about $5) in front of it. You would have to remember to turn it on every time.

[quote name='Tropicat']I was going to suggest a laptop fan (chill pad) also... Or you could just put a small free standing fan (about $5) in front of it. You would have to remember to turn it on every time.[/quote]
i was thinking about that but the air would never get up in to the GPU or CPU!!

[quote name='opterasis']Like you said, RRoDs are usually caused by heat issues. All I know is even in a well ventilated spot, my 360 got a too warm for my liking, and with the intercooler on it, my 360 stays alot cooler even after 5 or 6 hours of playing. Now I don't know a damn thing about the physics of it all, but as long as the intercooler fans are moving more air, or moving it faster than the stock 360 fans, it wouldn't really be an obsticle at all, would it?[/QUOTE]

Your 360 shell is cooler, that's a given, because the intercooler is moving air away from the shell.

The thing is, air inside the system is getting caught.

Like I said, the air that gets TO the intercooler is going to move out faster, but the air that doesn't will recycle back to the system and cause more heat.

Never put fans on top of fans. PC hardware enthusiasts, who know a LOT about this stuff are pretty unanimous on that claim.

You just never pile fans on top of fans. The reason is simple:

The intercooler TS might have a faster airflow than the 360's fan, but the air inside the 360 will ONLY move as fast as its fan allows it.

Pretend that you're standing in a doorway and you're able to throw packages at 10 packages per second. They hire you in front of that doorway, to increase the speed of package unloading. Inside the room however, is a guy that can only throw 4 packages per second. Now, since you're outside the room and not inside it, would you say that having you there would increase the speed of package delivery? No... Because in the end, you're limited to the 4 packages per second that I throw to you.

I know some of you will argue that the suction creates a vacuum. I'm sorry, but that's not true either. The reason is because the fan inside the 360 itself is sort of a limiter. It only pushes the air out at a certain speed.

So intercoolers/fan attachments to the back of the 360 are about as worthless as it can get, because the fan inside the 360 decides how fast the air leaves. But you're putting this big monstrosity on the back that ACTUALLY sends hot air back in.

bread's done
Back