Xbox360 Power Supply

nathan_the_rock

CAGiversary!
A week ago my xbox started giving me three red rings. By testing with a friend's console and power supply, I found out that it is my power suppply that is the issue, not the console itself. My console is out of warranty, so Microsoft customer support will charge me $80 for a new power supply, despite my trying to get them to reduce or eliminate the cost. I've been looking around, but haven't really found a less expensive option out there, as they seem to go for quite a bit on ebay.

Just curious if anyone with a similar problem has come to a less expensive solution.

What? If it's giving the RROD, the console should be covered under their extended warranty. Even launch consoles should be covered until November next year. Most likely, the red ring will come back even after buying a new power cord. Better to just say it's giving the RROD and get it fixed for free than pay $85 for a power cord.

The thing is, I've read that many people are getting the RROD, sending their boxes in (and for the RROD you send in only your boxes, not the power supply or other cables) and getting one back that still doesn't work. In the end they find it was the power supply that was the issue. The Microsoft repair guys consider the power supply as an "accessory", which is utterly ridiculous as it is a critical part of the console, though it is still not covered under the extension of their warranty. I just don't want to waste the time shipping my console, when I'm almost positive that is not the issue. Using a friend's power supply we could play halo3 on my xbox for hours, and plugging my power supply into his xbox gave his perfectly working Xbox the RROD.

Thanks a bunch Bhackney for that link, I looked around for other places and I could only find ones that were listed sold out. I think I'm going to order it from these guys.

For anyone in the same situation: Ordered 10/17/07. Received 10/22/07. Works fine. Less than half the price of Microsoft's Replacement with none of the hassle of customer support.

[quote name='nathan_the_rock']For anyone in the same situation: Ordered 10/17/07. Received 10/22/07. Works fine. Less than half the price of Microsoft's Replacement with none of the hassle of customer support.[/QUOTE]That's sad on Microsoft's part.

bread's done
Back