XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

[quote name='willardhaven']If HDMI is supported by the Premium, why would anybody buy the Elite?[/QUOTE]

Yes, 120GB HDD, Black color (if that looks better). However, the HDD sells for $180 by itself, so "technically" it is a "deal".

I still want an Elite, as my HDD get full REALLY quick with a few demos.

[quote name='McNutsack']HERE IT IS, PALZ.

http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-news/microsoft-admits-all-xbox360s-are-defective.html?Itemid=60#jc_allComments

This article explains that all 360's will break. it's called a DEFECT.
And the systems should've been RECALLED but instead have a warranty.
If you buy a new car that has eff'd up cv joints, not every ones car will get messed up right away, but it doesnt change the fact that it is a DEFECT and it is inevitable; you're going to crash and burn, just a matter of when.

Not a legit source, you say? Well then click the link inside my link and listen to microsoft vocally admit it.

I can't belive every one was getting on my case. I have no reason to make stuff up, I have nothing to gain, why would I have made it up? I own all consoles and I love my 360, that's why im concerned.

I want 30 minutes of my life back for having to search for this article. unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

My light bulbs will eventually not turn on again. Does this mean they are defective?

Everything breaks, pal. It's just a matter of when.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']My light bulbs will eventually not turn on again. Does this mean they are defective?

Everything breaks, pal. It's just a matter of when.[/quote]You saying 360s aren't defective?

[quote name='dallow']You saying 360s aren't defective?[/QUOTE]

I'm saying not every one of them are. It may be a defective design, but that doesn't mean every unit will be.

Enough with the "defective" debate that's been going on in this thread. This is about price drops and HDMI Premiums. There's nothing worse than refreshing your browser to find grown men in a "swordfight" over something unrelated to the OP. Back on topic, please ...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm saying not every one of them are. It may be a defective design, but that doesn't mean every unit will be.[/quote]That I can agree with.

Stop being so self-righteous jaso.

[quote name='willardhaven']If HDMI is supported by the Premium, why would anybody buy the Elite?[/quote]

As other people said, the 120gb hdd still makes the Elite a deal, but isn't the Elite is also supposed to be a limited edition?

[quote name='McNutsack']HERE IT IS, PALZ.

http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-news/microsoft-admits-all-xbox360s-are-defective.html?Itemid=60#jc_allComments

This article explains that all 360's will break. it's called a DEFECT.
And the systems should've been RECALLED but instead have a warranty.
If you buy a new car that has eff'd up cv joints, not every ones car will get messed up right away, but it doesnt change the fact that it is a DEFECT and it is inevitable; you're going to crash and burn, just a matter of when.

Not a legit source, you say? Well then click the link inside my link and listen to microsoft vocally admit it.

I can't belive every one was getting on my case. I have no reason to make stuff up, I have nothing to gain, why would I have made it up? I own all consoles and I love my 360, that's why im concerned.

I want 30 minutes of my life back for having to search for this article. unbelievable.[/quote]

It's on the Internet so it must be true.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The way I look at it, the 360 battery packs can't be used for anything else, which makes the chances my rechargeables getting nicked to use in the remote or kids toys zero. My PNC cable also allows me to play on my PC, should I ever be assed to do that. I keep it hooked in the back of my 360, so I can sit my extra controller in the dock hooked up for whenever my primary controller goes down.[/QUOTE]

The play and charge cable dosen't affect PC compatibility. I mean you can charge it on a PC with that, but you still need the $20 (or whatever) wireless adapter thingee to use X-Box 360 wireless equipment on it (the wired pad works fine by itself).

[quote name='Justin42']Used 360 (especially non-refurb)=scary.

Can cores be banned? Or is it something on the HD that allows the ban?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK it's the console's serial number or whatever unique number is being sent to the live service. I doubt it has anything at all to do with the hard drive.

[quote name='McNutsack']
Can someone please tell me what are we supposed to do with our cruddy 360's? They have 100% hardware failure, and the warranty only fixes it for a bit; they need to replace parts to make it a permanent fix, so I think the warranty is lame for those of us that want to KEEP the console in working order 3 years from now.[/quote]

You could just keep sending it back every time it breaks. Eventually they'll probably run out of the old stock, or get sick of it or something. Plus, serves 'em right for selling millions of defective units.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']I got my 360 tonight from Circuit City. Premium package with the Table Tennis. No HDMI but I don't even have an HDTV so I don't care.[/QUOTE]

Two things with that... First, if you don't have an HDTV, I'd get one, or else don't get a 360 or PS3. Some will say otherwise, but I don't think a large number of next gen games are playable on standard TVs. Besides looking terrible, a number don't even have legible text or other interface elements. IMO a next gen console means you need an HDTV. (EDIT: I guess I should amend that-it wouldn't surprise me if a high end older Sony CRT could do a decent job with a 360/PS3, but the average run of the mill SDTV sure won't.)

Alternatively though you can also hook the 360 to a monitor. Ideally a widescreen one as not all games properly support 4:3/5:4 resolutions.

[quote name='dallow']That I can agree with.

Stop being so self-righteous jaso.[/quote]

Don't make it like that, just get back on topic or take your debate to PMs.

I checked my local CC and BB. Neither of them had any Premiums so I couldn't check if they had any with noted HDMI inclusion.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I was under the impression that the Elite would eventually become the Premium. Is this not correct?[/QUOTE]

Isn't that is basically what is happening, the new PREMIUMS will have HDMI. The Elite is still with 120GB HDD. I doubt PREMIUMS will get that any time soon.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

First, if you don't have an HDTV, I'd get one, or else don't get a 360 or PS3. Some will say otherwise, but I don't think a large number of next gen games are playable on standard TVs. Besides looking terrible, a number don't even have legible text or other interface elements. IMO a next gen console means you need an HDTV. (EDIT: I guess I should amend that-it wouldn't surprise me if a high end older Sony CRT could do a decent job with a 360/PS3, but the average run of the mill SDTV sure won't.)
[/QUOTE]

Where do you get this stuff from? Every game I have plays fine (yes, even Dead Rising) on my SDTV. Everything looks great.

[quote name='doubledown']Isn't that is basically what is happening, the new PREMIUMS will have HDMI. The Elite is still with 120GB HDD. I doubt PREMIUMS will get that any time soon.[/quote]

When the Elites first came out, engadget reported the white premium eventually taking its place with both HDMI and 120GB HDD. Looking back at the story though, Microsoft didn't announce this.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Where do you get this stuff from? Every game I have plays fine (yes, even Dead Rising) on my SDTV. Everything looks great.[/QUOTE]

I get it from having actually tried it, and the responses of the majority of people who have tried it.

My 360 (and PS3) looks great on my 4:3 over component. I've seen a PS3 at 720p and it didn't blow me away. 1080p is likely a different story, which is why I'm waiting until I can afford to buy a quality 1080p set. HDTV would be nice, but it's not a necessity for me right now.

As for why somebody would get an Elite if the Premium has HDMI, I ask: why would I upgrade for HDMI only? I don't have an HDTV yet, so getting a Premium console identical to what I have+HDMI is useless. I need more reason than just HDMI, and the Elite's kEwL black color and 120GB HD is that reason.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I get it from having actually tried it, and the responses of the majority of people who have tried it.[/QUOTE]

Then, pray tell, what games aren't 'playable' on SDTVs?

Alright, being that I work at Costco, I was slightly miffed that all the bundles we have only went down $30. The arcade bundle online was $469.99 and went to $439.99 and the forza 2 bundle in store went from $479.99 to $449.97. However the silver lining is that because the last price ended in a 7, that should be the last that we'd see of that bundle and they're putting out something different.

And I'd also heard that they are only dropping it $30, because they'd lose "so much money" if they dropped it $50.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Alright, being that I work at Costco, I was slightly miffed that all the bundles we have only went down $30. The arcade bundle online was $469.99 and went to $439.99 and the forza 2 bundle in store went from $479.99 to $449.97. However the silver lining is that because the last price ended in a 7, that should be the last that we'd see of that bundle and they're putting out something different.

And I'd also heard that they are only dropping it $30, because they'd lose "so much money" if they dropped it $50.[/quote]

Didn't they drop the arcade bundle $10 from $479.99 to $469.99 just a couple weeks ago? The store near me has charged 469 for as long as I can remember, which surprised me that it was different online.

I am also peeved that they didn't drop it the full 50. The profit margin shouldn't be any different than when it was 469.

[quote name='silks']My 360 (and PS3) looks great on my 4:3 over component. I've seen a PS3 at 720p and it didn't blow me away. 1080p is likely a different story, which is why I'm waiting until I can afford to buy a quality 1080p set. HDTV would be nice, but it's not a necessity for me right now.
[/quote]

1080p isn't that important, especially in the smaller sizes. You'll have difficulty noticing the difference between 720p and 1080p on TV's 42" and below unless you sit really close (

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Then, pray tell, what games aren't 'playable' on SDTVs?[/QUOTE]

Addressed in my original post.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Then, pray tell, what games aren't 'playable' on SDTVs?[/QUOTE]

Playable is definitely too strong a word to use, but I'd say some games suffer tremendously on SDTVs.

For instance, Gears of War looks fantastic on an SD set, but Vegas looks like absolute ass, and then there's the unreadable text issue in DR etc.

Playable for sure, but whether they're worth paying $60 for to play on an SD set is debatable.

Non-issue for me as the failure rate helped push me to get an HDTV a few months ago and hold off on a 360 until it hits $300 and has the new chips, heat sink etc.

Honestly, I've never opened Vegas in the four months or so I've had it. Guess I will make the effort to play it this week.

Dead Rising, I can read the text just fine. It's a RCA 27" SDTV made around 2004, and I sit about 10-12 feet away. In fact, the HD signals I get from my cable box look great as well. If I have the option, I always choose the HD signal.

[quote name='kevlar51']Didn't they drop the arcade bundle $10 from $479.99 to $469.99 just a couple weeks ago? The store near me has charged 469 for as long as I can remember, which surprised me that it was different online.

I am also peeved that they didn't drop it the full 50. The profit margin shouldn't be any different than when it was 469.[/quote]

I think they dropped the price of the arcade bundle longer ago then that but honestly I can't remember. As for different pricing, the Guitar Hero 2 bundle in store is $79.99 while online is $76.99.

In any case, I do so agree, it rightfully pisses me off and means I'll be buying it somewhere else where I know it'll be a good deal, and where I can guarentee the HDMI.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Honestly, I've never opened Vegas in the four months or so I've had it. Guess I will make the effort to play it this week.

Dead Rising, I can read the text just fine. It's a RCA 27" SDTV made around 2004, and I sit about 10-12 feet away. In fact, the HD signals I get from my cable box look great as well. If I have the option, I always choose the HD signal.[/QUOTE]

I could read the text, but had to struggle (i.e. squint). It was at my friends, sitting 12' or so away on his 32" Sony Wega.

Vegas looks very bland and jaggy on his set, but looked pretty good on my other friends HD set.

OK, called all the other places on my list. One Target may or may not have HDMI-equipped Premiums; the associate said it had HDMI but no cable, then he checked the box and said it only had the component AV cables, but didn't say whether or not they had the port itself. He also said they got them in yesterday. But he also told me the old price points, so there's no telling whether he knew what he was talking about or not.

At another Target, the poor girl stuck in electronics for the day covering someone else told me they didn't have any Premiums; just Elites and "Lives." I asked her to scan the "Live," which rang up as $349. Bless her heart; I had a hard time asking her to do anything after that point and believe it.

My conclusion: Target is probably breaking some kind of semi-official release date because the rather-knowledgable Gamestop store manager I know said he hadn't received any word on when the HDMI Premiums would arrive, and I trust him. So, it's likely going to come down to getting out there and checking with your own two eyes to know for sure what you're getting.

I don't know about you guys, but it's just too damn hot here for me to be doing that right now.

[quote name='jaso']
My conclusion: Target is probably breaking some kind of semi-official release date because the rather-knowledgable Gamestop store manager I know said he hadn't received any word on when the HDMI Premiums would arrive, and I trust him. So, it's likely going to come down to getting out there and checking with your own two eyes to know for sure what you're getting.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176397.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

There is no release date. The articles and gamespot and other sites have this quote directly from an MS rep.

A Microsoft representative confirmed the report for GameSpot, saying that HDMI-enabled Xbox 360s are starting to roll out in stores now.

"Yes, we are offering an HDMI port for Xbox 360 simply as another choice in Xbox 360 owners' games and entertainment experience," the representative said. "Retailers are gradually introducing HDMI-enabled Xbox 360s into the channel to meet demand."

Wolfpup-- I used to play my 360 and PS3 on a super old TV with S-video. it was fine. nothing was unplayable, even dead rising. there was some stuff that was hard to read in DR, but that's what maps, markers, and arrows are for.

As for why somebody would get an Elite if the Premium has HDMI, I ask: why would I upgrade for HDMI only?

Because the 20 gig hard drive included with the premium is only 13.9gigs in reality, and then you have all your saves and downloads and shit, so you have very little room left to run the system off the harddrive. It's like when your computer bogs down and is slow once you fill it up, it just takes time to search all that cluttered info.

Whereas you have the elite's with 120gigs (in reality 103ish) where you don't have to worry about space. Also they are saying the after June models of the Elites have an extra heatsink, so you really shouldn't worry about RROD.

I think that's what I'm going to do this holiday.

[quote name='0192837465']Because the 20 gig hard drive included with the premium is only 13.9gigs in reality, and then you have all your saves and downloads and shit, so you have very little room left to run the system off the harddrive. It's like when your computer bogs down and is slow once you fill it up, it just takes time to search all that cluttered info.
[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't be an issue. Games run off of the reserved part of the drive, not the 13 or so usable GB.

My issue with getting an elite is it's harder to know if it's a new one. I mean if you get a regular and it's got HDMI, obviously it's new...but much harder to tell with the elite.

[quote name='jaso']Checked a Target and Toys R Us in person; no go. They all had systems manufactured in 2006.[/QUOTE]

That's what I found at Best Buy the other day. Made in July of '06...which kind of blew my mind. Microsoft must have really overdone production on them...which I bet they really hate now that they're having to repair/replace so many.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Turns out the "on-the-box" way to determine whether or not you are getting the HDMI port is to check the motherboard code in the product identifier. The "Zephyr" code refers to the motherboard with HDMI, pictured below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/wonderkins/Barcode.jpg

Because the Zephyr code refers to the motherboard design of the Elite, people are assuming that these new Premiums do not have a 65nm CPU.

[quote name='jaso']That image is of the instruction manual. I think someone somewhere (I know, real helpful) stated that there would be a sticker on 360s with HDMI. On the box itself. So that should be an indicator, but I'm awaiting documented proof. You would think that if HDMI-equipped premiums really had reached the market, we'd have seen more pictures from others. I've heard someone on another forum say that Best Buy has the release date of the new SKU (HDMI-enabled) as 9/1. So if you find one before then, I'd say consider yourself lucky.

For me, a $19.99 game isn't worth the peace of mind I'd take from owning a new 360. That being said, I'll be calling local retailers over my lunch break, and I'll keep this thread posted.[/quote]

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's what I found at Best Buy the other day. Made in July of '06...which kind of blew my mind. Microsoft must have really overdone production on them...which I bet they really hate now that they're having to repair/replace so many.[/quote]

tell that to halo 3

FWIW - Somebody just got a Premium w/HDMI from Target in Washington (state). Build date of 7-6-2007. Claims it's still pretty loud, and maybe a different DVD drive.

[quote name='aktick']FWIW - Somebody just got a Premium w/HDMI from Target in Washington (state). Build date of 7-6-2007. Claims it's still pretty loud, and maybe a different DVD drive.[/QUOTE]
Isn't there something printed that says which factory built it? I think the multiple factories with different stock theory makes the most sense at this point.

[quote name='0192837465']Also they are saying the after June models of the Elites have an extra heatsink, so you really shouldn't worry about RROD.[/quote]

My 3/21/2007 elite (which i purchased on 7/8/2007 at BB in their new shipment, conveniently 1 day short of pricematching) has the extra heatsink.

[quote name='0192837465']Whereas you have the elite's with 120gigs (in reality 103ish) where you don't have to worry about space. Also they are saying the after June models of the Elites have an extra heatsink, so you really shouldn't worry about RROD.[/quote]

That's exactly what I was saying - read my post again. I'm agreeing with you man! If I already have a 20GB Premium without HDMI, I'm not going to buy a newer 20GB Premium just to get HDMI. I'm going to buy an Elite, so that I get both a larger 120GB hard drive and HDMI as well.

[quote name='silks']That's exactly what I was saying - read my post again. I'm agreeing with you man! If I already have a 20GB Premium without HDMI, I'm not going to buy a newer 20GB Premium just to get HDMI. I'm going to buy an Elite, so that I get both a larger 120GB hard drive and HDMI as well.[/quote]

How can I find out if a Premium has the extra heat sink or not?

[quote name='RESmonkey']How can I find out if a Premium has the extra heat sink or not?[/quote]

If you mean a boxed product sitting on the shelves, I couldn't tell you. Some people claim their Elites don't have them, so saying that all Zephyr models do might not be too accurate.

If you're talking about a console you already own, it's very easy to shine a flashlight into the vents to see if the new heatsink is there or not.

So...wait. The new model dosen't say it has HDMI on the box? So we have to just go by manufacture date?

Hmm...that Halo console is tempting only because I know it would be new.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So...wait. The new model dosen't say it has HDMI on the box? So we have to just go by manufacture date?

Hmm...that Halo console is tempting only because I know it would be new.[/quote]
Just about everywhere that's reported this says that it lists HDMI on the box.

And if you're concerned with it being new, there's a flap you can lift on the box to check the serial number and the manufacture date. Most clerks would not have a problem with you lifting that flap and making sure the console is something you want to buy. You're spending over $300, it should be what you want.

so is there any way to determine (via manufacure date, etc.) if the Elites in stores have the quieter DVD drive and 65nm ?

if i've missed someone mentioning it, nm me...

[quote name='Link127']so is there any way to determine (via manufacure date, etc.) if the Elites in stores have the quieter DVD drive and 65nm ?

if i've missed someone mentioning it, nm me...[/QUOTE]

I guess there's a "lot number" on it somewhere that should say 0729. I don't think this is confirmed 100%.

bread's done
Back