XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

[quote name='spideymike']because....?[/QUOTE]

The redesigned units should be out in a couple of months at the latest.

Plus this is a shit time to buy a console period as the holiday sales, free game giveaways etc. at retailers are just a few months away.

This sounds real fresh but I think I'm gonna hold out till the HALO 3 CE 360 hits just so I can be sure its got some new hardware in there. I think this is just to clear out some busted ass old stock and make way for the newer fixed up Falcon at $400. I assume the Elite will go down as well.

[quote name='KingBroly']If the Core is gone, one game to blame of course.

GTAIV[/QUOTE]

The COD 4 cover also showed a special logo that showed the Hard Drive. Maybe more games in the future will make it a requirement?

Well, maybe these logos showing up on games are going to start meaning to core owners 'get a HDD or you're not playing this'. It's kinda rude, and will probably turn away customers at some level.
But remember, ALL GAMES require at least a Memory card.

[quote name='OGHowie']The COD 4 cover also showed a special logo that showed the Hard Drive. Maybe more games in the future will make it a requirement?[/QUOTE]
Infinity Ward has already said that that "special logo" has been removed and you can play on a Core.

Ok Xbox ppl help me figure out how to go on this. It is getting close to the time to complete the Wii60 bundle. What I want is a 360 with some sort of hard drive and preferrably the HD DVD player and I want HDMI. Whats my best route on this? Should I wait for the drop snag a 360 Premium and then try to find a cheap HD DVD Player. Is 20gb gonna be enough? Do we know for a fact that HDMI is gonna be included on Premiums/non elites soon? What should I do? I want to be ready to go by Mass Effect Release if possible as its the only game I've been real excited about in a long while.

[quote name='NoRain']Ok Xbox ppl help me figure out how to go on this. It is getting close to the time to complete the Wii60 bundle. What I want is a 360 with some sort of hard drive and preferrably the HD DVD player and I want HDMI. Whats my best route on this? Should I wait for the drop snag a 360 Premium and then try to find a cheap HD DVD Player. Is 20gb gonna be enough? Do we know for a fact that HDMI is gonna be included on Premiums/non elites soon? What should I do? I want to be ready to go by Mass Effect Release if possible as its the only game I've been real excited about in a long while.[/QUOTE]

What should you do, well you have to wait before making a choice so wait and then figure it out.

[quote name='OGHowie']WTF, the Elite only dropped $30 and the Core $20....[/quote]

Wow, that is exactly what artredis1980 said would happen (link from previous post by Cheapy). If he's right, this looks more like a clearence sale to make room for the new Falcon motherboards that will be present on all systems with the new prices: $249 Core, $299 Premium and $399 Elite, but all will have HDMI.

So a Core plus HDD costs more than a Premium ... that will just make those systems fly off the shelves ... what the hell is MS thinking?

Wow, that is HILARIOUS. The 'Tard pack is even dumber now. Let's see:

360 = $350.
'Tard Pack = $279
+ $40 component cable
+ $100 hard drive
+ (optional) $20 head set
+ (optional) $20 Ethernet cable
= $420-460ish

Soooooo, wow. The 'Tard pack is at least $70 more than the regular 360 now. It's like a built in IQ test :D
I guess really you have to figure in $50 for installation, since clearly anyone buying a 'Tard pack (except as a replacement) won't be able to hook the color coded cables up to their TV :D

[quote name='MC Hampster']Wow, that is exactly what artredis1980 said would happen (link from previous post by Cheapy). If he's right, this looks more like a clearence sale to make room for the new Falcon motherboards that will be present on all systems with the new prices: $249 Core, $299 Premium and $399 Elite, but all will have HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Wow, maybe I'll wait for the Falcon before I get a new system then.

The core really is the tard pack now. There go my hopes of upgrading to Elite model.

Where's my $80 drop Zew! :(

This price drop is laughable! They need to just drop the Core. It's useless.

With the premium at CC you get a wireless controller, a headset, a 20gb hard drive with Hexic installed, a month of Live (is that still packed in?), AND Table Tennis for only $70 more.

That sucks for people who buy the system now. Microsoft better we willing to upgrade the systems for those who don't get the Falcon motherboards with the HDMI and all.

I bought a 360 at the end of June, and seeing the difference between the drops makes me a bit happier. You now have a $70-$100 difference each way from Premium to Core and Elite.

HOW DO YOU SCREW UP A PRICE DROP!? HOW I ASK YOU, HOW!? Because Microsoft just did it. BIG TIME. The Core is an even bigger joke than it was before, and the Elite just became a non-option to any potential 360 owner.

And where, OH WHERE are the drops on the Hard Drive prices? The 20gb should now be $70, and the 120gb should now be $170 if I've done my math right (Core + 20gb or Core + 120gb). If those don't drop price, this is truly the worst price drop in the history of gaming.

And why do I call it the worst price drop in the history of gaming? It depends on whether or not you count the recent PS3 price drop a price drop or not.

[quote name='dallow']The core really is the tard pack now. There go my hopes of upgrading to Elite model.

Where's my $80 drop Zew! :(

This price drop is laughable! They need to just drop the Core. It's useless.

With the premium at CC you get a wireless controller, a headset, a 20gb hard drive with Hexic installed, a month of Live (is that still packed in?), AND Table Tennis for only $70 more.[/QUOTE]
I was lied to by the Walmart associate. :cry:

Well, it looks like the Premium is really the only smart option, once again.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']That sucks for people who buy the system now. Microsoft better we willing to upgrade the systems for those who don't get the Falcon motherboards with the HDMI and all.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what the big deal is.

It doesn't matter what motherboard is in there. The old model has the same capabilities as the new model will have, and if you buy an old model and wind up with a dud, MS will probably repair/replace it with something that won't break again. You think they WANT their repair centers filled to capacity all the time?

I have 2 360s. 1 was DOA. I went through the repair process, and it was both ridiculously easy and surprisingly fast. And by the way...the systems are not THAT loud...once you're focusing on the game, you don't pay attention to the fan noise anyway.

IMHO, if you want the 360, buy it. There's no guarantee that the new model systems will be any cheaper. In fact, I'd guess that they probably won't be. Why would there be TWO price drops in under a year's time?

[quote name='KingBroly']I bought a 360 at the end of June, and seeing the difference between the drops makes me a bit happier. You now have a $70-$100 difference each way from Premium to Core and Elite.

HOW DO YOU SCREW UP A PRICE DROP!? HOW I ASK YOU, HOW!? Because Microsoft just did it. BIG TIME. The Core is an even bigger joke than it was before, and the Elite just became a non-option to any potential 360 owner.[/quote]

I can't really agree. The Core is a bigger joke than it was, but then it was never an option anyway. The Elite is I suppose $20 more, proportionally, but it's still the only option for a lot of us who woulnd't buy one now without HDMI.

And of course the real choice should be just waiting for the Falcon hardware. Hopefully this'll clear out the existing 360s fast.

I have to say again that my Best Buy is TOTALLY sold out of 360's, and has been for quite a while, which is REALLY weird for them...and a good sign for us :D

And why do I call it the worst price drop in the history of gaming? It depends on whether or not you count the recent PS3 price drop a price drop or not.

Honestly this is sort of a better drop...kind of. I mean that really just gives you some extra, worthless features for the same price. At least this genuinely lowers the price, even if it's just $30 on the Elite...and even if it's worthless until the new hardware trickles in.

This price may work wonders to get the Madden nation to upgrade from PS2/XBOX, and clear out all the now xbox 360 1.0's til the, KAKAAAW, falcon swoops in to steal all the launch 360 owner's money, as they will be out of RRoD warranty by sometime in '08. Funny, I already got this price drop when I got in on the old Dell small buisness deal, $350 shipped premium in July of '06. CAG is a faster price drop than MS. Wonder what kind of discount the overstocks and Amazon's of the world will be giving a week after the price drop?

So apparently MS really does not have any interest in competing with Nintendo? Or do they think that this tiny drop will push Sony out the door, at which point they can focus on Nintendo?

One would think they'd at least drop the Core to $250 just to say "Hey, we have a $250 console too!"

I can't belive the Core is only dropping $20. I was really hoping for that rumor of a $199 price with a 512MB card. They should have just discontinued it if they were only going to drop it $20, no one is going to buy it at that price and they should have at least dropped it $50 - $60 to make it either the same price as the Wii or $10 less than the Wii so they could claim they are less than the Wii

edit - didn't realize what I posted had already been said

well I guess a price drop is a price drop - and to the less savvy folks out there that aren't exactly "deal hunters" like us - it probably looks pretty good. And with some hot games coming out - just that little bit of a drop will push many over the edge. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I want hdmi because I just got a snazzy new projector and all - and the puny drop on the elite really turned me off - I too was expecting/hoping for an 80 buck drop... Oh well - I can wait for the falcon - I've got plenty of gamecube/wii gaming to keep me busy...

[quote name='yyr']I don't see what the big deal is.

It doesn't matter what motherboard is in there. The old model has the same capabilities as the new model will have, and if you buy an old model and wind up with a dud, MS will probably repair/replace it with something that won't break again. You think they WANT their repair centers filled to capacity all the time?
[/QUOTE]

A lot of people probably don't want to hassle with HAVING to send it in for repair.

$350 is still a bit rich for a console for me, much less one nearly doomed to fail.

I'll wait for the redesign, holiday bundle deals, and potentially another price drop.

I'm shocked how little the core is dropping-- I got my 360 as part of the Tower clearance last fall when all they had left was Cores. I never imagined the $225 I paid would survive the first price cut as still a better price. ;)

(yes, it's been upgraded back to a premium since-- using deals mostly from CAG to not pay full price for any of it.. ;) )

[quote name='AshesofWake']why are people bitching about the core so much. pretend it doesn't exist. I've never seen one in retail stores since the launch lol[/quote]Strange, I always see them.

Do not touch!

Ugh, I just ordered an Elite this morning. Is a bigger hard drive really worth $100? (I have no need for HDMI right now)

[quote name='Jn64lover']Ugh, I just ordered an Elite this morning. Is a bigger hard drive really worth $100? (I have no need for HDMI right now)[/QUOTE]
No.

[quote name='Jn64lover']Ugh, I just ordered an Elite this morning. Is a bigger hard drive really worth $100? (I have no need for HDMI right now)[/quote]
Depends on how many XBLA games you plan to buy, how much DLC you plan to download, how long you like to keep your demo's...etc.

I've done constant maintenance on my 20GB and I've been down to 4-5GB's for a few months now, I have to constantly delete trailers, demo's, DLC of games I don't play...etc. Its a pain, so I would totally love to have the big 120GB but for the current price...no. If you're new to getting a X360 I'd say go for it.

EDIT: Added Circuit City photo...looks like you get Table Tennis for free as well that week.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Whats this talk about a falcon?[/quote]

Its a codename for the new 65nm chipsets that they are supposed to be releasing sometime in the fall. Quieter...more efficient...etc.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Its a codename for the new 65nm chipsets that they are supposed to be releasing sometime in the fall. Quieter...more efficient...etc.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I've seen very little confirmation of any tangible release date, or, frankly, anything beyond "it's being worked on." Gamers and analysts alike have been predicting the "falcon" for well over a year. When it didn't come out in late 06, as was predicted, they said early 07. When it didn't happen in early 07, they said "wait for the Elite!" Then the Elite didn't have it. Of course, when it does come out, gamers and analysts will crow about how right they were! :lol:

Me? I'll believe it when I see it (which will be after the fact, certainly, as I doubt MS will publicly announce a hardware revision - they've been deliberately vague as to the life expectancy of the currently-on-the-shelf 360 consoles, relative to the highly defective originals, anyway.)

Oh, and I'm very impressed with people's ability to bicker over a price drop. I think it's kinda flimsy, personally (though I was wrong when I said a price drop wouldn't happen due to their $1 Billion apology for making millions of defective consoles and later extending the warranty); at any rate, it's probably large enough to garner some advanced interest (and, importantly, parry the PS3 pricedrop to a degree), but small enough to cover MS' games divisions fiscal asses for another quarter or two.

Weak drops on the elite and core but I was getting the Premium anyways. Looks like at Circuit City with free Table Tennis. I enjoy that game, so that's cool.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Whats this talk about a falcon?[/QUOTE]

It's the fixed 360, no two ways about it. it uses a chip that runs cooler and some other fixes. In other words, no one should latch on to this price drop unless they enjoy losing their 360 for weeks at a time, only to get a refurb back with a similar chance of failing.

The 360 systems that are out right now all have a fatal flaw that will likely cause the red ring of death at some point.

[quote name='Riyonuk']So, I should just wait for the falcon chip, as it will make the console better? In what way?[/QUOTE]

I guess you missed my post, but the gist is that it shouldn't break as easily as the current model.

bread's done
Back