Xbox360 silver controler with play & charge kit $42.80 at Amazon

I've got it. Controller is great. Love the 4 way dpad. Basically just leave it at 4 way.

Charge is fine. Never really have a problem with it.

I have this controller and the d-pad is MUCH better. Just typing on the virtual keyboard to redeem codes on the old d-pad was pain....Just keep it at 4-way as mentioned and as intended.

In case you guys never knew: The reason M$ d-pads have sucked is because Nintendo has a patent on the "cross" d-pad controllers and Sony has the patent for their design of a d-pad. As M$ would never pay for licensing either of those d-pads from its competitors, Xbox users were pretty much stuck with the crap d-pads until M$ created and patented this version -- that is, M$ had to include the gimmick of the rotating d-pad in order to get a patent on 4-way d-pad.

I thought I would chime in and say I had to send mine in today for a warranty claim, The part where the battery goes just cracked in half, On the phone with support they seemed to be aware of the problem and are sending me another brand new one. I love the controller though.

[quote name='Lordd_G']I have this controller and the d-pad is MUCH better. Just typing on the virtual keyboard to redeem codes on the old d-pad was pain....Just keep it at 4-way as mentioned and as intended.

In case you guys never knew: The reason M$ d-pads have sucked is because Nintendo has a patent on the "cross" d-pad controllers and Sony has the patent for their design of a d-pad. As M$ would never pay for licensing either of those d-pads from its competitors, Xbox users were pretty much stuck with the crap d-pads until M$ created and patented this version -- that is, M$ had to include the gimmick of the rotating d-pad in order to get a patent on 4-way d-pad.[/QUOTE]

I actually prefer the older d-pads to this one, unless you need something for fighting games. It's really "mushy" feeling when compared to the old ones, and takes a lot more effort to register a press. And lately, mine has been making a terrible creaking sound every time I press the d-pad down. However, the newer analog sticks are awesome and I find it harder to play fps's as well on the old pads

Also, could you stop saying "M$"? It stopped being funny years ago and I'd like to think this place isn't as juvenile as gamefaqs

[quote name='Lordd_G']In case you guys never knew: The reason M$ d-pads have sucked is because Nintendo has a patent on the "cross" d-pad controllers and Sony has the patent for their design of a d-pad. As M$ would never pay for licensing either of those d-pads from its competitors, Xbox users were pretty much stuck with the crap d-pads until M$ created and patented this version -- that is, M$ had to include the gimmick of the rotating d-pad in order to get a patent on 4-way d-pad.[/QUOTE]

This is a myth. Nintendo's patent on the D-pad expired in 2005. Microsoft is just incompetent.

Anybody know if you can replace the buttons on the controller? I have spare colored A, B, Y, X buttons that I'd like to replace on this new one if it's possible. I'm just wondering if it would be a simple swap or if they made the buttons different enough that swapping would not be possible.

[quote name='imacgod']This is a myth. Nintendo's patent on the D-pad expired in 2005. Microsoft is just incompetent.

Anybody know if you can replace the buttons on the controller? I have spare colored A, B, Y, X buttons that I'd like to replace on this new one if it's possible. I'm just wondering if it would be a simple swap or if they made the buttons different enough that swapping would not be possible.[/QUOTE]

No idea but I love the grey and white buttons.

[quote name='Ronzo']I actually prefer the older d-pads to this one, unless you need something for fighting games. It's really "mushy" feeling when compared to the old ones, and takes a lot more effort to register a press.[/QUOTE]
I cannot believe someone expressed this opinion. Bizarre.

[quote name='Ronzo']
Also, could you stop saying "M$"? It stopped being funny years ago and I'd like to think this place isn't as juvenile as gamefaqs[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It is stupid.

[quote name='imacgod']This is a myth. Nintendo's patent on the D-pad expired in 2005. Microsoft is just incompetent.
[/QUOTE]

Source? 'Cause I don't buy that.

[quote name='eastx']Source? 'Cause I don't buy that.[/QUOTE]

With the warning that I am no patent lawyer:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=4687200

Wikipedia outright says it expired in 2005 with that patent as its link. Patents last 20 years hence 2005 would be accurate. Even if it's from the issue date, that would still bring us to 2007.

Even then, there's much more functional D-pads in existence such as Sony's and the Dreamcast's and somehow they got by without a lawsuit by Nintendo (I would argue either of those are functionally and technically similar to Nintendo's controllers since I have opened up a DualShock, Dreamcast Controller, and several Nintendo controllers and GameBoys). And more recently, the portable Rock Band drum kit has a real D-pad on its controller.

Microsoft is allergic to the D-pad or something.

Sega could have used that d-pad design with permission. They always used unique designs prior to that. I believe it's what Hori does, anyway.

Wow @ the link. A little over my head, heh.

[quote name='imacgod']With the warning that I am no patent lawyer:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=4687200

Wikipedia outright says it expired in 2005 with that patent as its link. Patents last 20 years hence 2005 would be accurate. Even if it's from the issue date, that would still bring us to 2007.

Even then, there's much more functional D-pads in existence such as Sony's and the Dreamcast's and somehow they got by without a lawsuit by Nintendo (I would argue either of those are functionally and technically similar to Nintendo's controllers since I have opened up a DualShock, Dreamcast Controller, and several Nintendo controllers and GameBoys). And more recently, the portable Rock Band drum kit has a real D-pad on its controller.

Microsoft is allergic to the D-pad or something.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo's now expired cross dpad patent was very specific on how it is to function. Sony used the cross pattern, but has it broken into 4 separate buttons on one piece of plastic.

Sega got away with the cross pattern on the dreamcast by making some changes to it, as explained here..
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/991-Sega-Dreamcast-D-Pad-How-d-they-do-it

Still, only MS knows why they went out of their way to stick with the disk dpad shape, and even putting a patent on the twisting one.

Well worth it in my book. I bought 1 this weekend off this deal & it plays awesomely, especially for MK, transforming d-pad or bust.

bread's done
Back