Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name="nasum" post="11847548" timestamp="1402962229"]But not the wii u pro controller? I'd hate to have to buy yet another peripheral[/quote]

No, not the Wii U Pro controller. When you go into Wii mode, it doesn't register it.

I'm starting this game again - giving it a second chance.  Is the entire game a bunch of grinding?  I had to grind some to level up enough to get through the first cave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting this game again - giving it a second chance. Is the entire game a bunch of grinding? I had to grind some to level up enough to get through the first cave.
I wouldn't really call it a grind, just kill (most) all the mobs on the way to your destination, and you should level up just fine. Remember that you get experience for doing quests and finding out locations (especially the secret areas), so there are alternate ways of leveling up besides combat.

Also, if you find that the game is becoming predictable and mechanical in combat wise, try switching your lead.

Well, I just beat Xord. That was really fucking stupid. The thing is a transformer than turned into a jet fighter/airplane. So it's falling to its death and it tries to DRIVE up the ramp instead of flying.

Blaster man said:
Well, I just beat Xord. That was really fucking stupid. The thing is a transformer than turned into a jet fighter/airplane. So it's falling to its death and it tries to DRIVE up the ramp instead of flying.
Hah - I played this game for well over 100 hours and I don't remember what you are talking about at all. :lol:

Hah - I played this game for well over 100 hours and I don't remember what you are talking about at all. :lol:
I honestly can't remember details of games I played/beat only a few months ago. I don't know if that's normal or what... but it seems like some people can recall the smallest details about games they played years ago.

I remember Xord, one of the first major enemies you face.  It's at
the end of the Colony 6 Ether Mine section
(not sure if I still need to spoiler this? Oh well).  Cliches are cliches, Xenoblade has its fair share, but I didn't really play it for the story to be honest.  The gameplay (especially the exploration) was solid enough on its own I thought.

58:17 in the first video - why doesn't he just transform into a jet and fly away or at least hover like he does at 40:35 in the second clip below. As I played through the part where he falls in, I literally said out loud, "Well that was fucking stupid".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5qQHXiskSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIUsYgAnIYw

58:17 in the first video - why doesn't he just transform into a jet and fly away or at least hover like he does at 40:35 in the second clip below. As I played through the part where he falls in, I literally said out loud, "Well that was fucking stupid".
I'm guessing because Xord's propulsion systems were damaged? I mean, first, the old guy push him back on his ass (where his flying thing is) and then there's the ether reactor explosion while which probably further damaged Xord's back area.

Maybe not the best explanation... but that's the best I could think.

On a sidenote, I forgot how laughable some of equipment looked during cutscenes.

I'm guessing because Xord's propulsion systems were damaged? I mean, first, the old guy push him back on his ass (where his flying thing is) and then there's the ether reactor explosion while which probably further damaged Xord's back area.

Maybe not the best explanation... but that's the best I could think.

On a sidenote, I forgot how laughable some of equipment looked during cutscenes.
I suppose. It just seemed really stupid when I played through it. I've been staying up late playing the game in an attempt to burn through it quickly and I have to say, I'm not actually enjoying it. I don't actually find the gameplay or the story "fun". I'm at the High Entia Tomb. Does it suddenly become fun after this or is basically more of the same?

I don't think I'd consider this a Traditional JRPG. It's more like a single player MMO. In fact, I don't think it's a stretch to say that it has a lot more in common with WoW than it does with Final Fantasy or even other action JRPG's like Tales games. I've certainly played a large number of much better JRPG's and WRPG's last gen than this game.

It's not living up to the hype for me. I'm considering quitting again (this time for good). Is there any reason for me to continue? I understand that a lot of people love this game but (at least so far) it isn't doing it for me. I'd almost rather REPLAY Valkyria Chronicles than spend the time I've spent so far doing what I've done. The environments are huge but that's also a bit annoying because I find myself spending 20 minutes swimming a huge fucking lake looking for little glowing dots - nearly all of which are duplicates of little glowing dots I've collected already and finding "secret" map locations that are really just islands that require you to spend a needlessly large amount of time to get to them.

As for your comment on the costumes, I agree. They look really stupid. My wife was making fun of them this evening.

The best thing about this game is that the voice acting is actually good which seems to be rare in games made in Japan especially (though American made games have their fair share of shitty voice acting as well).

One thing that really annoys me, GameStop "paid for localization" supposedly but while playing the game, they have actors with British accents (and a couple of dudes with English accents doing really bad American accents), British English spelling, and even the European date system when you save the game. I can't for the life of me figure out WTF GameStop actually did to "localize" this.

"We need to unlock 2 seals to reach prison island". Are you fucking kidding me? The king is already there. I hate when these types of games require some stupid button pressing mission to go to a location that should already be opened and most likely complete empty of enemies since the person is typically at the end of the dungeon. These stupid tropes are really wearing thin after playing JRPG's since final fantasy 1 on the NES.

Guess I'll get rid of the game again. I played through more of it and now I'm at the ice mountain after "unlocking the Monato's true power" and I just find it boring. I'm glad I gave it a second try but I won't play it a third time not who'll I xenoblade chronicles x.

I'll watch the ending on YouTube since I've played so far in.  Speaking of which, I played Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 then watched the ending to 13-3 without ever buying the game and was happy as shit I didn't bother with it.  Talk about cheesy.

It's good that you gave it a fair shake to go all the way up to that point, which at that point the gameplay doesn't change much (you have most all of the characters, except for one more).

It's good that you gave it a fair shake to go all the way up to that point, which at that point the gameplay doesn't change much (you have most all of the characters, except for one more).
I was interested in the story but as everyone knows the quest system was bad and for me personally, I don't care for those massive MMO open environments. The story wasn't boring to me but the gameplay was. Huge stretches of empty terrain in which you fight huge numbers of monsters and just wonder around for long periods of time just wasn't doing it for me. I know people talk about how huge the game is, and I agree its massive but maybe it's too massive for me because I found it boring. I'll not be playing the sequel unless the environment is more interesting. Skyrim is also huge but it's absolutely LOADED with shit to do. Every corner of that game has content. Hopefully X is more interesting when wandering around...and I don't mean collection quests.

I watched the story on YouTube and really liked the ending. It's a shame I just didn't like the game enough to see the story out.

For me I loved the open MMO style environment, even it if meant that there were stretches of "emptiness" so to speak.  For traditional top down RPGs I don't mind random battles (degrees of freedom are limited), but for anything 3D open world I would much rather see my next battle and sneak around those I don't want to encounter.

I liked checking out the map, seeing where I had to go, finding the hidden UMs and locations, didn't have to do much battling in between if I wanted to.  I guess this stems off the last MMO I played (FFXI), which I enjoyed heavily and found enough similarities (in addition to the improvements) to keep my interest.

Of course I still haven't finished it, but I know I'm close.  I'm at the cusp of missing out on a lot of quests / areas to go to if I do the next battle, so my indecisiveness kept me from pushing forward.

While it's in Japanese, they do show off some of Xenoblade Gameplay. Graphically the game doesn't look amazing. That doesn't matter to me, still my most anticipated WiiU game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-H_xEc8c0

bread's done
Back