XFX GeForce GTX 285
Model GX285NZDFF
Core clock 648MHz
Memory Clock 2480MHz
Memory Size 1GB

Reg $379 Now $344
Includes FarCry 2 and COD5

Newegg.com ! LINK !

I bought one today, upgraded from MSI 8800GT (giving it to my bro)
Its not worth upgrading from the GTX 280, but if you are running a 6,7 or 8 series its a big jump IMO.

also they keep saying Farcry 2 included then taking it off ?? who knows atleast their are no mail in rebates

Last edited by a moderator:
Great price but the GTX 285 and 295 video cards are going to be very short lived. I personally will hold out a few months (Q2 or Q3?) for the new behemoths to come out - and then drop in price a little bit.

I never was able to justify $200+ on a video card. This is why I've pretty much stopped with PC gaming aside from going back and playing things like Half-Life 2 and UT2004. It's soooo much easier with my 360, and much cheaper because I don't have to constantly upgrade my system.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I never was able to justify $200+ on a video card. This is why I've pretty much stopped with PC gaming aside from going back and playing things like Half-Life 2 and UT2004. It's soooo much easier with my 360, and much cheaper because I don't have to constantly upgrade my system.[/quote]

I'm the exact same way dude. I used to only have a console for sports games with my buds, but I just can't afford to keep the PC up to spec anymore, so I splurged for a PS3 with the economic stimulus this summer. :) I hate FPS on console, but I'm trying to learn.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I never was able to justify $200+ on a video card. This is why I've pretty much stopped with PC gaming aside from going back and playing things like Half-Life 2 and UT2004. It's soooo much easier with my 360, and much cheaper because I don't have to constantly upgrade my system.[/QUOTE]

A decent mid-ranged card for around $100 will still be good enough to play any modern game at high settings at higher-than-720p resolutions easily. It really isn't too expensive to upgrade a computer within the last few years to be a respectable gaming machine, especially if it already has a dual-core processor or better. Of course there will always be the super-high-end parts like these for the real gaming enthusist, but hell even a 9800gt can rip through Crysis on high (but very high would probably demand a card like the one in this thread for smooth gameplay at anything above 1024x768).

Although there isn't much difference from this card and the slightly cheaper GTX280. The main improvement was the lower power drain and cooler operation. If you're looking for a high-end card now this is only beaten by the GTX 295, although for the price I think a 9600gt or 9800gt would be a better value for most gamers.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I never was able to justify $200+ on a video card. This is why I've pretty much stopped with PC gaming aside from going back and playing things like Half-Life 2 and UT2004. It's soooo much easier with my 360, and much cheaper because I don't have to constantly upgrade my system.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about getting an iMac for my next desktop. Just to get me out of the PC cycle of feeling like I need new videocards and such. I game on my Xbox 360 all the time. I only play a handful of PC games, yet I still feel like I need the semi-latest hardware.

[quote name='celticmoose']I'm the exact same way dude. I used to only have a console for sports games with my buds, but I just can't afford to keep the PC up to spec anymore, so I splurged for a PS3 with the economic stimulus this summer. :) I hate FPS on console, but I'm trying to learn.[/quote]

I find this interesting because to me you really get nickled and dimed by the price of PS3 games compared to games on the PC. For example L4D you could pre-order for $36 on the PC versus $60 on the PS3, other examples include BF deals on Amazon for Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2. In both cases the PC games prices were priced lower. Over time these differences add up if you purchase games regularly. For example one game a month over a year with a $10 purchase price difference adds up to $120 which is enough to upgrade your video card each year.

The deal posted is good, but really the sweet spot/best value for PC video cards is usually in the $100-$175 range. It is easy to feel the need to updgrade to something to something like this deal, but to play most games you don't need to. Even with the cards in the $100-$175 range you'll have better graphics capabilities than most PS3/360 versions of games. On the PC you can also tweak the elements that matter to you in the individual game.

@ silent h3ro
i know they will come out with the new GTX 3xx series in the 3Q or 4Q, but it will probably be like the 8-9 series gap (read not worth the money). i keep video cards 2-3 years so its a investment for me plus i will get $80 from my brother so its like $245+shipping for me.

@ celticmoose
With the console Vs PC argument
PS3 example 500(console)+50(controller)+60(1 Game)=610+Tax/Shipping
for that much you can build a nice rig and games for the pc are cheaper.

*i use my pc for more than gaming and spend more time on it than any of my consoles. so my cash is justified to me i think the ppl who bought the I7 stuff on day one are crazy Mofos .Its their cash though they can do whatever the hell they want just like me and you.

as far as midrange cards go the best is probably
ATI 4850 vs Nvidia 9800GTX+ both can be had for 125-150

bread's done
Back