XM Radio Online Free Trial (No credit card needed)

[quote name='uli2000'] But hey, maybe someone out there wants to hear the Black Eyed Peas and Fallout Boy 17x a day.[/quote]

You sure as shit don't need satelite radio for that. :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

[quote name='uli2000']If you want FM radio without commercials, go to Sirius. If you want deeper playlists and hear new stuff, go to XM. But hey, maybe someone out there wants to hear the Black Eyed Peas and Fallout Boy 17x a day.[/quote]

You obviously dont have Sirius nor listen to it cause I have it and I've never heard the same song twice (unless I have my auto notify feature set to put a song I like on - such as Tool's "Vicarious" :)). Plus it probably helps that I dont keep 1 station tuned in ALL day long.

Sirius is awesome, i enjoy left of center and the new wave stations. They also have excellent talk radio, sports, howard stern, and bubba the love sponge.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Sirius is awesome, i enjoy left of center and the new wave stations. They also have excellent talk radio, sports, howard stern, and bubba the love sponge.[/quote]

Right on brother. And what does xm have ... Opie and An .. ahh its not worth it.

ok, first of all, not to start a war here but i have had both. i enjoy sirius much more. stern's shows are now like they were years ago before the fcc started attacking him. they are much funnier and just keep getting better every day. the music is usually varied against what station you are tuning to. if you want club music, channel 36 "the beat". trance channel 33 "area 33". hip hop/rb channel 40,45,50 are my favorites. they also have live dj's playing crazy mixes. sometimes their are repeats but u hear music 2 - 3 weeks before it hits testical radio. xm was good but i just enjoy the music on sirius a bit better. had xm for year and a half. got sirius the month stern went on and had both overlapping for about 1 month before i cancelled xm. this is my personal opinion

o and also if you havent heard, xm signed a deal with cbs radio and its affiliates that opie and anthony will be broadcast on terestial radio but will be censored. get ready for free o and a but will bleeps every other second. so if you guys with xm who pay the extra 1.99 ( i think thats right) for o&a, cancel it cause you can get it for free now but censored.

[quote name='Maklershed']You obviously dont have Sirius nor listen to it cause I have it and I've never heard the same song twice (unless I have my auto notify feature set to put a song I like on - such as Tool's "Vicarious" :)). Plus it probably helps that I dont keep 1 station tuned in ALL day long.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I do have both. I have Sirius for NFL and NBA. Thats all I listen to on it. And EPL games I cant see on TV. I find the music much more hits based and repetitive. Plus, I cant stand most of the Sirius DJs. I get pretty much all the same talk on XM with better sound quality. The only talk I dont get on xm (Stern) I wouldnt listen to him if you paid me $13/month. I do with XM had NPR, but NPR won't even let Sirius have its two biggest shows (MOrning Edition and All thing Consitered, but I can hear those online for free).

Glad to hear the new sirius receviers have auto notifiy (I have a 1st gen recever). XM has had that since gen 1.

[quote name='Day1221']o and also if you havent heard, xm signed a deal with cbs radio and its affiliates that opie and anthony will be broadcast on terestial radio but will be censored. get ready for free o and a but will bleeps every other second. so if you guys with xm who pay the extra 1.99 ( i think thats right) for o&a, cancel it cause you can get it for free now but censored.[/QUOTE]

O and A have been free for over a year now...Anyways, get ready to pay Sirius $15/month starting in July. Luckily, Im on my Bro-in-laws account and pay the $7/month, but if it goes up much more than that, Ill live without the NFL.

[quote name='uli2000']O and A have been free for over a year now...Anyways, get ready to pay Sirius $15/month starting in July. Luckily, Im on my Bro-in-laws account and pay the $7/month, but if it goes up much more than that, Ill live without the NFL.[/quote]

Yeah O and A was "free" for the past year if you pay to have xm. And personally, I've been paying $7 a month for Sirius cause I'm on a "group" plan with 3 other people. I'm not sure where you're getting the raising the rate thing about Sirius anyway. The only thing I could find mention of it was a post on orbitcast.com from early February that speculated that since XM recently raised their rates and there wasnt too much of a backlash that Sirius may do the same. The $14.99 sounds completely arbitrary. But maybe you have a more definitive source. Either way it doesnt matter me. I'll be paying my group plan and listening to Howard, Playboy, NPR, and the 100+ other channels on my beautiful tivo like receiver. :)

/rant over

[quote name='Day1221']o and also if you havent heard, xm signed a deal with cbs radio and its affiliates that opie and anthony will be broadcast on terestial radio but will be censored. get ready for free o and a but will bleeps every other second. so if you guys with xm who pay the extra 1.99 ( i think thats right) for o&a, cancel it cause you can get it for free now but censored.[/QUOTE]

2 hours will be XM exclusive (uncensored), and the other 3 hours of their show will be the same pretty much, minus the cursing. I think they made a great move.

Try them both.
Pricing--equivalent. Both are 12.99/month, both offer family plans, XM's is 6.99 each additional radio up to 4 add'l.
Sirius has Stern, XM has O&A. I care not a whit for 'extreme shock radio', so this is a non-issue.
Sirius has some sports, XM has others. I don't care about sports, non-issue.
Hardware - XM has [imho] better hardware, and the Inno is coming out very soon--portable satellite reciever/mp3 player with 1 GB ["up to 50 hours"] of capacity. Granted, it'll be almost 400 bucks, but that's new tech for you. You can probably get a 2GO or Myfi, portable and records 5 hours of content, for right around 100-120 bucks. And you could probably get a Roady2 or SkyFi for less than 50.
XM just added ten channels, including reviving XMLM for you metalheads [it was previously on the birds, then only on XMRO, then back on the birds]. It's toned down just a bit, I hear more things like Exodus and Suicidal Tendencies and even Black Sabbath instead of just the RARARARRARAAAAA Carcass Cannibal Corpse stuff [though they still play lots of that].

I have *heard* that Sirius's playlists are shallower than XM's. In my 2-year experience with XM, while I have heard repeats, they are very few and far between, and have been heard primarily on:
* the newly-revived XMLM [but maybe they're still shaking up the playlist]
* 153, the Canadian-focused comedy channel
* 20 on 20 [not that I listen to this channel], but that's the point--it's a top 20 channel.

The only thing Sirius has that I'm interested in is Mojo Nixon as a host, but I'd have to give it a listen to see if I'd actually enjoy him.

My favorite channels on XM are:
* 44 Fred - deep classic alternative
* 53 Fungus - punk/ska/industrial
* 41 Boneyard - hard rock/light heavy metal [lots of 'hair bands' on here]
* 27 Cinemagic - movie scores/clips
* 150/151 - XM Comedy and Laugh USA [standup and other comedy - one is uncensored, the other is cleaner]
* I'm giving 42/XMLM a try, but I can only listen to one or two screamcore songs at a time.

Bottom line: I've heard XM has deeper playlists, while Sirius focuses more on stuff you may be more familiar with. Obviously there's personal preference to that, I like hearing songs I haven't heard by bands I have heard. There's pros and cons for both XM and Sirius, but either of them beat the crap out of terrestrial radio. Is it worth paying for radio? If you listen to music, yes. And even if you don't--there's plenty of talk, including news, comedy, golden-age radio, radio plays, etc. When we visited my dad last time, I let him play with my Roady to see if he was interested in taking it--he tuned in to 40's on 4 and Frank's [Sinatra] Place and listened all day.

bread's done
Back