XP bootup major prob

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
im typin on my psp.when i turn on my pc it loads up to that XP screen w/ the bar then the screen goes black then it goes to a bluescreen that says dumping phsical memory then the proces repeats. it doesnt bootup in safe mode . whats wrong?

OK THAT PC IS FIXED BUT I GOT ANOTHER COMP WITH PROBLEMS!!!

Well i press the power switch for this computer but i dont get any video... the fans work the mobo loads theres the regular process but the monitor remains black , i dont think theres a problem with the monitor cause the little LED light turns on but it stays blank. What could be wrong?

Probably corrupted ini file somewhere.

Which means you are screwed most likely, unless you try a system repair.

You'll need a Windows OS Install disc.

No, do not reformat, yet if you don't have to. Did you install new RAM recently? Does your computer have a floppy disk driver? What model motherboard do you have?

[quote name='Technique']No, do not reformat, yet if you don't have to. Did you install new RAM recently? Does your computer have a floppy disk driver? What model motherboard do you have?[/QUOTE]
no.yes.dono. i can go into bios tho

Find out what motherboard make you have, go to the website on another computer, find the latest BIOS, find a blank floppy, install the latest BIOS onto the floppy and put it into your computer with the problem. Change the boot priority so that the floppy drive boots first and restart the computer with the BIOS floppy in there. Follow the instructions to flash your BIOS and once it's done, go ahead and try a restart.

I had this happen to me recently, but when I flashed the BIOS it fixed the problem.

Do not reformat until you try this. Run the windows cd on startup (go into bios and change boot from hard drive to cd). After loading a menu will come up giving you the choice of a repair install or to do a new installation. Choose the new install. After going through one of those "I agree" menu's it will say searching for previous windows installations. You will then be given the option to repair the previous installation or do a new installation. Choose to repair the previous installation.

That should fix the problem.

The repair option at the beginning simply allows you to manually repair individual files. The repair option that is done after windows searches for previous installations is a reinstallation of the essential components of windows, but without deleting any nonessential data. You will basically start the OS installation about halfway through instead of at the beginning.

You will have to reinstall any service packs and updates for windows that were not included on the original cd though. Do that immediately, as many programs (like outlook express) are set up to function on the current setting and will not work properly without reinstalling the service packs and updates.

I learned then when I was trying to find a way to change my motherboard without losing all my data.

If you installed RAM recently and this starting happening after, remove the stick of RAM and try again. If it doesn't crap out, then:
1)your stick is bad
2)You may need to bump up the voltage for the DIMM slot
3)User less aggressive memory timings
4)If you're overclocking, STOP
5)you need a BIOS update
6)You may have a bad slot on your motherboard (happened to me)

do you have a USB drive plugged in?

I've had XP not boot up for me simply because I had my flash stcik plugged in; I nearly had a heart attack because I was working on one of my final projects.

omfg thankyou so much for helping me even tho it was hell typing on my psp lol it works well i tried the repair but i didnt work so i just went with the reformat and i got it up and running thanks for all your help

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST but i need help urgently!
OK THAT PC IS FIXED BUT I GOT ANOTHER COMP WITH PROBLEMS!!!

Well i press the power switch for this computer but i dont get any video... the fans work the mobo loads theres the regular process but the monitor remains black , i dont think theres a problem with the monitor cause the little LED light turns on but it stays blank. What could be wrong?

If you don't get any splash screen or BIOS messages (stuff on the display before Windows actually starts loading), then you have to make sure it's not a hardware problem.

First, make SURE that it's not a problem with the monitor. Take that monitor AND THE CABLE and put it on a machine that you know is working and make sure the monitor works. If it works on the other machine, you can most likely rule out the monitor and cable as the source of the problem.

Next, I would open up the case and try to reseat the video card by simply taking it out of it's slot and putting it back in.

If that doesn't work, I'd borrow a KNOWN GOOD video card and substitute it for the original card, just to see if it's the video card itself that is bad.

(If you don't get video with the known good card, then you still really don't know anything. Stick with the known good card from here out)

Next, I'd reseat ALL the interface cards in the machine and the RAM.

If that doesn't work, I'd pull out EVERY card except for the (known good) video card and ONE RAM card and see if you can get anything to show up. I would also disconnect the optical and hard drives from both the MoBo and the power supply.

If that doesn't work, try a different RAM card as the single installed one.

If you get it to start booting, then reconnect things ONE AT A TIME, rebooting each time along the way, until you find the part that is giving you trouble.

If it won't show anything with just the power supply, MoBo, 1 RAM and video card, it maybe a power supply or MoBo problem.

i dont know but ijust tried turning on the system
its not hte monitor i just got a signal and i saw the bios
it loads up normally then it goes into a screen that asks to go into either...
safemode
best last settings
start windows normally

i tried safemode first then it loads up then the comp reboots again
and the process starts all over
i tried best last known settings same thing happens it basically restarts and i see the bios screen and it goes back to the screen that asks for safemode, best last, or normal
same goes for start windows normally
i donno whats wrong and i dont have any tools so i cant find out my system specs
or can i in bios?
lol
i dont wanan rip my case apart

[quote name='Furashu']
i tried safemode first then it loads up then the comp reboots again
and the process starts all over
[\QUOTE]

You mean that it doesn't finish booting in safemode, it just loses it sometime during the safemode root and resets? If this is the case, then it is either a very low level (critical) windows file that is corrupted, or some kind of hardware problem (probably memory).

You could try booting from your XP CD and try a repair installation. (I'd pull the HD first and backup any files you want to save first, but that's me) This should reinstall the core files for Windows.

You could make yourself an ultimatebootcd (www.ultimatebootcd.com), boot it up and run a memory test (memtest86).

You could try booting from a live CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu to see if you can get one of those to boot all of the way. (If you don't know what those are, google them)

If you can't get any of these bootable CD's to work, then it is most likely a hardware problem and you'll have to "rip your case apart" and go through the reseating, troubleshooting procedure I outlined above.

[quote name='Furashu']
i dont wanan rip my case apart[/QUOTE]

Too bad, you may have to.

bread's done
Back