XP Question

jlew

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm thinking about buying a barebones PC kit from tigerdirect.com I will need to buy a copy of Windows XP. I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for OEM XP Pro SP3. Is this the best way to go? Can an older version of XP be purchased cheaper and simply be upgraded?

Last edited by a moderator:
XP Pro is worth it, and yes you can buy an older version and download all the service pack updates. But typically retailers hold the price on a good O/S, even older versions of it. I wouldn't mind finding another copy of Pro for under $100, but last I checked everyone still wanted $150 plus.

If you're a college student, there's a good chance you can get a copy of XP Pro for real cheap. The school I work for sells OEM XP for 15 bucks.

New question. My previous PC (an emachines bought new) came with XP home and has a product key on the back of the case. XP has been long uninstalled from that computer and never reinstalled. Would I be able to use that product key for xp on a new machine? If so, what would I need? All I have is an emachines restore disk which I doubt I could use.

bread's done
Back