XSata/XPORT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolsteel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
103 (100%)
Alright i'm about to get a 120 gb hd for the 360 and i'm trying to figure out how this works, can I just back up the image for the 20 gb HD and then restore it to the 120?

if there's any reason you'd like the 20 GB to be your backup and not wiped out using the transfer cable MS throws in with the 120, then X-Port will be useful. but you may run into some problems.

the 120 GB that came with the elite had a different file structure than the 20 GB. that was back in april 2007. maybe now they have the same structure, but it wasn't the case before. so you kinda had to search for where to put your saves, videos, etc. it made using X-Port confusing. i didn't want to wipe the previous 20 GB b/c it was my roommate's 360 i played on before getting my own. i opted not to use it.

Xbox 1 saves do NOT transfer over using X-Port. that was enough to make me return it and just use a 512 MB mem card instead. i just downloaded whatever i was missing and still wanted. if you do figure it out, let me know. i'd be interested just to know if it works for everything now (mostly Xbox 1 saves).

[quote name='typeRJ']Xbox 1 saves do NOT transfer over using X-Port.[/quote]

What??? Omg, no way. Wait, what about XSATA??

Well i've already backed up the 20 gb hd while i'm waiting for the other to get here. Looks like i'm going to have to research the 120 gb file structure, worse comes to worse I end up manually moviing each save over from the back up to the new drive.

[quote name='HamalSharatan']What??? Omg, no way. Wait, what about XSATA??[/quote]

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my Xsata. Ever since I upgraded to the 120GB HDD, my Xsata has been collecting dust.

p.s. Xbox 1 saves CAN be transferred using the Xsata and Xport. You just have to follow the instructions ;)

Can't you just back up the 20GB hard drive, using the 120GB hard drive transfer kit and restore the backup to the 20GB hard drive? No file structure research necessary.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Can't you just back up the 20GB hard drive, using the 120GB hard drive transfer kit and restore the backup to the 20GB hard drive? No file structure research necessary.[/QUOTE]
No. If you do succesfully "restore" your 20GB image to a 120GB HDD, your 120GB HDD will only have 20GB if storage space (13 free).

This is because of the partitions. You must transfer files/folders individually.

The major bonus for using the Xsata and Xport instead of the Microsoft "transfer cable" is that the transfer cable will not move all of your files (especially the files that came preloaded on your HDD). It also erases everything on your original HDD, preventing you from being able to even confirm the data loss. Xsata & Xport = FTW

[quote name='nCogNeato']No. If you do succesfully "restore" your 20GB image to a 120GB HDD, your 120GB HDD will only have 20GB if storage space (13 free).

This is because of the partitions. You must transfer files/folders individually.

The major bonus for using the Xsata and Xport instead of the Microsoft "transfer cable" is that the transfer cable will not move all of your files (especially the files that came preloaded on your HDD). It also erases everything on your original HDD, preventing you from being able to even confirm the data loss. Xsata & Xport = FTW[/quote]
No, I mean back up your 20GB hard drive. Then, use the transfer kit. Your 20GB hard drive will be erased, and the files will be put on the 120GB hard drive. Then, you use the backup of the 20GB, and restore the files to the 20GB hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back