Xyanide (Xbox) $19.99 Pre-order Ebgames/Gamestop

[quote name='allyourblood']i don't think we have anything to worry about there.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, what I was going for was more that this seems like one of those kinds of things that because of the timing and genre you could choose to wait on and by the time you turn back around you could never see again.

Too bad they won't have this at a GameRush since I have a gift card that's sitting there being unused...

Got my copy! I would call it Mutant Storm Meets Panzer Dragoon, so, if you like either, you might dig this. No HD support, but it has custom ST, Dolby Digital, and it's in 16X9 screen ratio. It's forced, so if you have a standard TV, you will get it letter boxed.

Sorry for the short post, but gotta run..............

[quote name='Baroque-Legacy']Got my copy! I would call it Mutant Storm Meets Panzer Dragoon, so, if you like either, you might dig this. No HD support, but it has custom ST, Dolby Digital, and it's in 16X9 screen ratio. It's forced, so if you have a standard TV, you will get it letter boxed.

Sorry for the short post, but gotta run..............[/quote]

thanks for the summary. i'm gonna have to check this out for sure, now.

[quote name='Baroque-Legacy']Got my copy! I would call it Mutant Storm Meets Panzer Dragoon, so, if you like either, you might dig this. No HD support, but it has custom ST, Dolby Digital, and it's in 16X9 screen ratio. It's forced, so if you have a standard TV, you will get it letter boxed.

Sorry for the short post, but gotta run..............[/QUOTE]

Custom soundtracks?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is killing me! I don't remember people having such a hard time getting Phantom Dust, Guilty Gear, and other "Budget" games before.

and someone mentioned Gamerush. Mine is supposedly getting one in to rent today but that's all.

Well, something in the GS/EB system screwed up if people are getting shafted on preorders for this game, because there isn't really a shortage. I just went down to the local GS to pick up a game for a friend and, lo and behold, the had copies of the game there on sale. $19.99, in and out.

I'm glad I managed to get this game, but this is rather rediculous that people who preordered get shafted.

I was going to order this online today. But I checked the GS site and it said all the stores around me had it in. I went to my local EB and picked it up. Did not get to try it yet though.

[quote name='amusedtoe']For anyone interested Gamespot has their review up here: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/xyanide/review.html

It's a kind of low quality review though in that the text and sighted problems don't really seem to be on the same level as the score.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that review kinda... well, it sucked. The score was 7.2, but the text made it sound like it was rated 8.0 at least.
My opinion? Well, I've only played the first level, but I recommend it. It's quite fun and very well made. Plus, there's a certain crispness to it that distinguishes high quality SHUMPS (like Ikaruga and Gradius V) from poor ones (like Chaos Field and Nanostray).
If you like SHUMPS, get this game. And at only $20, it shouldn't cause too much heartburn to the CAG within.

I got my copy at Gamestop on my way home and I think it's a really good game. It really feels like Geometry Wars but that's a good thing to me. Also read the manual, I died like 5 times before I figured out how to shoot.

And god damn this game has a long intro FMV. You wouldn't think a shump would go to the work of telling the story like this game. Usually all I have to know is it's my job to kill the bigger ships.

I got it from GameCrazy, though I'd pre-ordered it. I doubt it's showing up at many B&M locations. A budget title of a niche genre on a dead system doesn't exactly inspire retailer exuberance. Online ordering is probably the ticket.

It's an odd game, with a mix of stunning cut-scene art direction and storytelling with half-assed in-game graphics and classic shmup gameplay.

The enigmatic first cut scene has brilliant visuals, sound and music that unfolds what could be a very compelling sci-fi story. When your antagonist is a seraphic child who is sentenced to be thrown into a black hole for unspeakable crimes, well, this doesn't seem like the typical storyline for a shooter (when it even has one). The plot as described in the manual isn't exactly conveyed via the visuals, but I prefer a storyline I have to interpret over the usual cliches. I just wish I were a little better at the game and I could advance the story quicker.

The graphics are the game's weakest point. First, it's 480interlaced. How can this be in 2006? It is 16x9, however. Custom soundtracks are supported, and the offical BGM is typical genre techno. There's an odd "smearing" of your ship as it moves and a great deal of "fog" in the background. Maybe these are stylistic choices rather than game engine limitations, but in such contrast to the effort put into the non-interactive elements, it's disappointing. Movement and combat is primarily Robotron-style, moving your ship with the left stick and firing with the right. You cycle weapons with the right trigger and your left trigger calls up a missile reticle, which you aim via the right stick. It's a little clunky in practice. You can pilot your ship on the vertical "tv screen" plane, but movement through the game is on rails. Though, you can choose different paths which supposedly feature different enemies, so that adds to replay value. Due to the rail game mechanics and the scrolling/rotating background, how/what you're shooting at is sometimes confusing. But this seems endemic to the genre.

Of course, it's a shmup, which means it's "zone gaming," and if you can get your Zen on you'll have a good time. I doubt it stands up to the great shooters on the Dreamcast, save for the unique story, but for a genre that never (? - Panzer Dragoon Orta, I guess) appeared on the Xbox, it's nice to have the option. If you're interested in global rankings, I think they're pretty obtainable. I'm now #15 in the world.

[quote name='adamsappel']I got it from GameCrazy, though I'd pre-ordered it. I doubt it's showing up at many B&M locations. A budget title of a niche genre on a dead system doesn't exactly inspire retailer exuberance. Online ordering is probably the ticket.

It's an odd game, with a mix of stunning cut-scene art direction and storytelling with half-assed in-game graphics and classic shmup gameplay.

The enigmatic first cut scene has brilliant visuals, sound and music that unfolds what could be a very compelling sci-fi story. When your antagonist is a seraphic child who is sentenced to be thrown into a black hole for unspeakable crimes, well, this doesn't seem like the typical storyline for a shooter (when it even has one). The plot as described in the manual isn't exactly conveyed via the visuals, but I prefer a storyline I have to interpret over the usual cliches. I just wish I were a little better at the game and I could advance the story quicker.

The graphics are the game's weakest point. First, it's 480interlaced. How can this be in 2006? It is 16x9, however. Custom soundtracks are supported, and the offical BGM is typical genre techno. There's an odd "smearing" of your ship as it moves and a great deal of "fog" in the background. Maybe these are stylistic choices rather than game engine limitations, but in such contrast to the effort put into the non-interactive elements, it's disappointing. Movement and combat is primarily Robotron-style, moving your ship with the left stick and firing with the right. You cycle weapons with the right trigger and your left trigger calls up a missile reticle, which you aim via the right stick. It's a little clunky in practice. You can pilot your ship on the vertical "tv screen" plane, but movement through the game is on rails. Though, you can choose different paths which supposedly feature different enemies, so that adds to replay value. Due to the rail game mechanics and the scrolling/rotating background, how/what you're shooting at is sometimes confusing. But this seems endemic to the genre.

Of course, it's a shmup, which means it's "zone gaming," and if you can get your Zen on you'll have a good time. I doubt it stands up to the great shooters on the Dreamcast, save for the unique story, but for a genre that never (? - Panzer Dragoon Orta, I guess) appeared on the Xbox, it's nice to have the option. If you're interested in global rankings, I think they're pretty obtainable. I'm now #15 in the world.[/QUOTE]

I thought that all Xbox games had progressive scan? Am I wrong?

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I thought that all Xbox games had progressive scan? Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

A handful don't. It's usually a dev screwup, and can be fixed by patching a few bytes...on a modded xbox.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Was something Microsoft certainly encouraged but there's plenty of titles with no HD support, especially "smaller" stuff.[/QUOTE]

It's almost always about sloppy code, not budgets. Changing one hex '20' to hex '00' at the right spot in the compiled code enables prog scan in Xyanide.

bread's done
Back